victoria

victoria

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the impact my actions have on the environment. I'm trying to be more aware of my water and electricity usage, trying not to drive if I don't really need to, trying not to accumulate too much waste.

So my idea is to change my habits, one week at a time. One week without napkins, one week without driving, one week without turning the lights on in my house, one week without the computer, etc... I will think of more as I go along, I'm sure.

My hope for this project is to wean myself off modern day luxuries and live a more natural and less harmful life. Small actions can make a big difference...

I hope that you wonderful and creative people will join me in this effort. Document your week without ______ and tag it with "one week without" (or OWW if that doesn't fit)

I'll be making my video soon...

victoria

victoria

P.S. You can do one week without anything, really... anything that you feel is unhealthy or unnecessary in your life that you'd like to get rid of... like, a week without salt, a week without high fructose corn syrup, a week without picking your nose, a week without putting yourself down, a week without getting angry at customer service representatives... etc.

Be creative! Have fun!

Alex Kehr

Alex Kehr

I've lived without electricity for a month while doing community service in Fiji. Surprisingly, it's not too hard to do. I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so awkward coming back home and being able to hit a light switch again, take a warm shower, and other things.

I have videos of us at night talking with no lights on and some other things. Do you mind if I take old clips and combine them to make one clip for this project?

victoria

victoria

I'd love to see those clips, Alex! I look forward to it :)

Ian Lucero

Ian Lucero Plus

I really like this idea. I look forward to contributing.

Ian Lucero

Ian Lucero Plus

Dood! 1 week of not flushing is not cool. Maybe in the winter but on a hot summer's day. hooooooweeee! har har.

I always feel weird bringing that thinking into someone else's house. It's good to know the next time I come over for some Wii I can weee in yer potty after eating aspargi and not have to flushee. Wait, 1 week without Wii. Dalas, are you that addicted?

bk

bk Plus

It's almost hurricane season. I'm sure I'll be able to do OWW electricity again.

victoria

victoria

Ian I look forward to your contribution! Maybe your lovely lady friend will join in as well!

Bking I hope you stay safe through hurricane season! I don't think I've ever lived a whole week without electricity. I'm spoiled :( I will try it, though. I'm going to try all sorts of different OWWs. This week I'm going without driving, and so far it has been absolutely wonderful. Who knew biking in the rain could be so uplifting? :)

dalas, a friend of mine recently mentioned the idea of not flushing to me. I'm very curious about this. Does the toilet get very dirty or smelly? When do you decide it's time to flush? I guess a dirty and smelly toilet is a small sacrifice for the earth. My friend thinks we should just do away with toilets altogether. I wonder, do people make compost piles out of their personal waste?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.