John Hooper

John Hooper

I uploaded a video, with a password protection, and not allowing downloads.

I have found that a "friend" with the password could download it in Flash format using RealPlayer. Perhaps there are other utlilites that can do this, so is there any other way of stopping unauthorised downloads?

Article19

Article19 PRO

not if they have the password and access to the video itself. It's like giving someone the keys to your house and wondering how you can stop them getting in! ;o)

John Hooper

John Hooper

So the fact that Vimeo has a box to tick to stop downloads from those watching, doesn't mean anything really?

Article19

Article19 PRO

no, that stops people downloading the original file that you upload. The video that plays on Vimeo and embeds is a transcoded flash file.

Mark

Mark PRO

Yeah, what Martin said. If there is a video anywhere on the internet, no matter what you do to protect it, it can be downloaded. Sometimes it takes some tinkering around, but it can be done.

2cpus4me

2cpus4me

Or, quit uploading stuff you really don't want people to see. Or check the Fair Use doctrine and find, at least in the USA, regardless of useless copy protection novelties I have a legal right to use portions of a work product for purposes of critique, parody, and more - including in the high resolution format it was created in. "Unauthorized Download"? Then don't put it out there.

John Hooper

John Hooper

It's not just that I don't want people to see it. I made the video password protected so that only folks I nominate can view it. I planned to let them view the piece and then delete it from Vimeo. But I have found that a "trusted" viewer has downloaded it and now using it.

Article19

Article19 PRO

then i would helpfully suggest hitting that person with a shovel! ;o)

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.