David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Does a video lose quality (like when compressed after editing) when saved after enhancing "looks"?

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Thanks! Will Vimeo have a video stabilizer anytime soon? It would be an awesome addition to their enhancement toolbox they are creating.
David

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Hey Mark,

I am deciding whether to use Vimeo or Youtube for my source for my website videos.
I know all the arguments pros and cons to both.
I was going to go with Vimeo, but, I uploaded the same HD video to both V and YT.

The YT video is more crisp and loads fairly quickly.
The Vimeo took about 2 minutes to load and wouldn't play any until then. And again, was not as crisp in its image.

I know Vimeo is supposed to be "better" "quality", and is more respected in the
video culture. But can you please educate me as to what "better" is supposed to actually mean?
Higher resolution upload or.......?

I do appreciate your time.
Thanks,
David
PS If you had an email addy, I could send you a screen shot of the same video still from V and YT.

Mark

Mark Staff

You can upload the screenshot to ge.tt and post the link here so I can take a look.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, it looks like the Vimeo version was never encoded to HD, which may be causing this. Can you link me to it?

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Hi Ian,
Thanks for getting back to me. Here is the link with the password, DLZ
vimeo.com/60096352

A) Is there something I could have done to have addressed this issue when I uploaded it?
There are others of my videos that have the same issue. Not as crisp as I think they should
be on Vimeo. (Plus no "HD" option in their control bar)

B) Any thoughts on the delay in uploading that same video on Vimeo compared to YT?
Even though it was not HD and the YT was?

C) On Vimeo as a video is played, can I change the bright blue color in the control bar to
something less conspicuous? Like grey or b&w?

I appreciate your time
Thank you,

Link: vimeo.com/60096352

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David,

A) We can only encode videos with a minimum resolution width of 1280px to HD. Yours are 960px. Upscaling them to 1280px may help their quality in the end.

B) The delay may have been caused by your video's compression settings. Please try to follow our recommended settings as linked below.

C) You sure can when embedding your videos. To do so, go into your videos' embed settings pages (vimeo.com/60096352/settings/embed).

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/compression

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

I had always exported at 1280 but had not that time. It made the image perfectly clear.
Thanks for the advice and added details.
David

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Hey, me again.
What is the way to choose the image or video to be the Group image rather than the colored lines?
Thanks,
D

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, an image of the last video added to the Group should be used as the Group's thumbnail. Can you link me to the Group so that I can take a look?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Ah, unfortunately, private albums will never display a thumbnail. Sorry for the confusion.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

a. These are private while I prepare them to be public on my new website. So if I understand, when I make them public, they will pull a thumbnail, or can I choose a thumbnail from the last video?

b. When the vids from the group funnel into the WordPress gallery on my website, I see the ways to create a video order, but not in a unique order that I choose, video by video. Is there a way? Or do I need to create new titles so it can be alphabetical in the order I want?
Thanks for all your time.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Awesome! Great to know. And just FYI, the reason for my not knowing is because the manual option does not show in the main Group page options for sorting.
Another FYI: I will probably go with Vimeo as my source for streaming my vids specifically because of the great support. Thanks

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Okay, thanks for the feedback, David. And as always, we're happy to help.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Ian or Mark, can you help me understand how to have videos for people to see when they type in my name? Or do they have to go to my albums after they type in my name? Can I have a video that is seen right away when someone types in my name AND that video shows up in an album too? Or can they only show in one place?
D

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, can you clarify where people are typing in your name?

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

1. Hey Ian, The vimeo.com page has a search boxin top right. That is where I typed in David Ellzey.
Does any video I upload publicly show on a main page, maybe my "profile", and ALSO in any album I choose, or is there a way to sequester (common word now. sorry!) a video to just an album?
Thanks.
D

2. I am trying to change the description of one of my videos after a few "saved changes" and now the "save" button is grey and inaccessable. Does it go grey after a certain number of changes? I have rebooted the site a few times to try and help. (the video is one of the two public ones. "Beyond Belief")

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Morning Gents,
1) Seems the setting pages are suddenly inaccessable for all of my vids when I go to the videos through my album. "Page not found" Any thoughts? I am logged in when it happens. Have I just not noticed this before?
Please check for example settings for: vimeo.com/album/2281151/video/61053981
(FYI: My password for all is DLZ.)
2) Are the videos across the top on black background supposed to play when clicked on? When I click on them, a buffer wheel shows up and never changes to the new vid.

Appreciatively,
David

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, when I search your name I'm seeing a bunch of videos of you: vimeo.com/search?q=David+Ellzey. All videos you upload will appear here: vimeo.com/davidellzey. If you'd only like to display a video in an album, you'll have to make both that video and the album in which the video is in private. Can you link me to the video you are trying to change the description for and tell me what you are trying to change it to? Your settings pages are all working fine for me (vimeo.com/61053981/settings). Can you try clearing your browser's cache and cookies? The videos up top should play when clicked. I'm going to look into this issue.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Thanks Ian,
1. I am okay with having a video in both the public general list and the album, but you did answer how to keep it only in the album if I chose it. Thanks.
2. The settings work fine if I play a video from the general list. The "page not found" comes up when I open the same video in the album. Example: vimeo.com/album/2281160/video/60844774. This is the Sunrise of Being that you sent me. Can you open settings seeing this video in the album?
3. I can clear the cache and cookies. However, along with the cookies it says, "...and plug-in data." Will I lose anything of value deleting the plug-in data?

Thanks,
David

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, sorry for the confusion. 1. As I said, if you'd only like to display a video in an album, you'll have to make both that video and the album in which the video is in private. 2./3. This appears to be a bug. Our developers are currently working on it. Thanks for the heads up!

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Ian, Thanks. I will look forward to the bug's resolution.
Meanwhile, I will edit video settings in the open general public display of the video, rather than in the album.
And regarding playing the video at the top, it will be nice if that is corrected too.
Thanks!

Mark

Mark Staff

You can't like your own videos, so you won't see it but everybody else can.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, can you link me to where your videos are being embedded so I can verify that the like button is not displaying?

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Hi Ian, On the video settings for this video I checked the box for the "Like" button.
audioacrobat.com/note/C9csS4Wx/. Yet it won't show up in preview or after embedded.

Strange thing is that on some videos that I place the "like" on in their settings, it shows up right away on the preview of it, just like the color choice shows up right away. But on this video and a few others the "like" button is just not showing on the video in the preview or after embedded.
Thanks for your help.
(Still waiting on the glitch being fixed, of the videos at the top of the page, not playing)

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, the like button will not display for you (since you cannot like your own video). But, it was for me. I just liked it via the button.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Ian, Okay thanks much. The confusing part was when I check the Like box, the heart showed up right away on the video, giving me the impression it was on there. Then I save it and move on. Under further review, it goes on the vid, but only temporarily. When I save the settings, it disappears. At least I understand it now. Thanks!!!
Any news on the playing of the videos at the top? Or still working on it?
Thanks much,
David

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, sorry for the confusion. Can you clarify what you mean by "playing of the videos at the top"?

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Hey Ian, No prob. I am assuming that the slider at the top with my videos is meant to be clicked on to play other videos of mine. When I click on them, either 1) the wheel turns forever, on a grey frame without a vid in it. 2) the image of the vid appears, but doesn't play, 3) once in a while, the vid plays (10% of the time)

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

I now see that slider is a result of the vertical tab at the right. "More Videos ~ Hide Videos"
Is that only for me? On your page, that tab only brings me a slider of my videos.
Either way, it would be nice if they played.

Your vids are wonderful, btw!

Mark

Mark Staff

We've been working on a variety of issues with that feature that we hope to resolve soon. Sorry about that!

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Hey Mark,
No probs....and I appreciate it when it is fixed....

Is there a way to place an "audio off" or on icon on the video in case someone is watching these vids in an office and its better not to have the sound?

Thanks,
D

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

On Vimeo I can change the video order in an album, however on my website, the order has not changed in the gallery that streams the videos from that album. How can I change that order that is seen on my website?
Thanks for your time,
David

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi David, are you using a Vimeo widget to stream the videos? If it is a third party software, unfortunately we cannot offer support for it.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Hi Ian,
I am using a third party software. Do you recommend another approach to change the order?
Re uploading or something else like that?

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, the order is probably determined by the settings in that third-party widget. You'll have to take a look there. Sorry we can't be of more help!

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

lol...confused! Now I see your vids there as the slider above your page. All your vids play perfectly from that slider.
Sorry to waste your time with this. Above all, just want my vids to play for me on my page like yours do.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Mornin Alex,
Somehow this question found its way up the que, so you guys didnt see it yet.
Is there a way to place an "audio off" or on icon on the video in case someone is watching these vids in an office and its better not to have the sound?
Thanks,
D

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

You can turn audio off on a player by clicking on the sound bars and then dragging all the way to the left.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Thanks Alex. I aware of that simple volume process which works in general.

On some video players there is an "audio on/off" icon that can be placed on a website home page or video. I assume you are saying that doesn't exist for vimeo?

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Sorry I wasn't more clear, David! That is correct, we do not have an audio on/off icon, just the volume bars.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

No worries, Alex. I appreciate your time and thanks for getting back to me.
I appreciate what you guys do in terms of swift support!

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Uh oh...... I was all excited about using Vimeo and I look up my vimeo vids on my iphone (3S) and they won't play. "This video won't play on this device. Click Watch Later..." Safari is the default browser as I am sure you know.

And if I go to my brand new website through my iphone which sources my videos from Vimeo, it says:
"Ack! This video can't be played with your current set up. Please switch to a browser that provides native H.264 support or just install Adobe Flash Player" which "is not supported by my device." my vids are exported with H264 as recommended in "compression guidelines" on Vimeo.

YouTube plays all my videos stored on youtube seemlessly.
Please tell me all is well and this is easy to fix.....
Please educate me how great and effortless Vimeo is even on mobile devices of all kinds for all the many people who visit my website on their mobile devices ....

Sorry, but as you can see, I am a bit concerned. I await and appreciate your reply.
Thanks.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Is there a reason the video on my website still autoplays even though the autoplay is not checked on that specific video? The box is empty..I never checked it and it is still empty now.
The video is: In This Very Moment2...vimeo.com/61980869
Thanks for your time.

Link: vimeo.com/61980869

Mark

Mark Staff

You need to uncheck it and then copy the embed code that generates and replace the code with that you already have in your site.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

I may not be being clear, but it is not checked in the first place, and yet still autoplays.

Mark

Mark Staff

But when you originally selected the embed code, it must have been checked because that's the only way that bit of code can get in there.

You need to go to that screen, make sure the box is unchecked, copy and embed code, then replace the original code in your website.

David Ellzey

David Ellzey PRO

Currently the auto play box is unchecked still. Yet still the video auto plays. My webdesigner wrote to me: "The home page video is set up in code and should be picking up all the setting from Vimeo. It is not going through Vimeography." (A third party gallery). So it is coming directly from Vimeo. Any further ideas about why the unchecked auto-play box is not affecting the auto play?

Mark

Mark Staff

David, can you please link me to the page you're trying to embed this video on?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.