ManuOnline

ManuOnline

Can anyone recommend a reasonably simple screen recorder for windows? For making training videos for software.

Would be great if it could post reasonably automatically to Vimeo.

James.

john cliff

john cliff Plus

Camtasia (not free) is an excellent screen capture program that many people use for tutorials/training videos.

Yardi

Yardi PRO

For you camtasia users out there.... I do basic video screen recording through the newest paid version of camtasia but I have not been able to find the best way to convert the video so its not fuzzy when it loads to vimeo. I really need some advice as to how to convert this video for better quality. When I load I can't even upgrade to 1080p but my computer is recording in HD. I am lost, would love feedback if anyone has any.

john cliff

john cliff Plus

Record at high quality & high resolution (at least 1280x720 pixels) - many people record small areas of the screen to keep file sizes more manageable then expect it to look good when blown up to full screen.
Choose your recording settings as either camrec (Camtasia's proprietary format/codec) or avi using a low loss codec (such as the Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame HD) to ensure you are not throwing away too much data at the first step - the files will be large depending on length and complexity.
If you are using a high compression codec/format when recording you have to remember your quality will diminish each time the file is compressed & there are 3 compression phases in this case: - first when recording, second when exporting, third Vimeo's compression.
Then when you export choose the settings that best reflect Vimeo's recommended ones: either 1280x720p or 1920x1080p, H264 codec, bitrate between 6-10 Mbps for full HD
Hope this helps

Space monkeys

Space monkeys

also have that fluffyness on small text.....

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.