Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

I have some videos embedded on my website at epicairtandems.com under flight log-anthony jahn using vimeo's embed code. When I play this video on my workstation and laptop it plays smoothly. But when I try and play this video on my mobile phone through weebly.com where my website is hosted, with the mobile feature enabled or if bring up another mobile version of my website from dudamobile, the video stutters every three seconds. If I go to the mobile version of vimeo at vimeo.com/m and play the video on my phone it plays smoothly without stuttering once. Please help?

Link: vimeo.com/61130641

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

What I believe is happening is when I go to my website on my phone even though my website detects and brings up the mobile version vimeo is still trying to play the HD version of my video on my mobile site, instead of the mobile version. How do I fix this issue?

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

Hey Tommy,
Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Motorola DroidX but I tested it on my friends phone with the same results. I've been looking on the forums and it appears the embedded code lacks any sort of detection for mobile devices. So even though Vimeo creates a mobile version of a video the only way to play the mobile version is to go to the mobile version of the Vimeo website. Is this correct?

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

Apparently I was reading an old post and the embedded Vimeo video code is suppose to be able to automatically detect that a phone is a mobile device and play the mobile version which isn't happening on my DroidX or my friend's Samsung Aviator both are running the Android OS.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

What version of Android is running on your phone? We're working on an issue where embedded videos may not play back on some Android devices.

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

I'm running Android Version 2.3.4 Gingerbread. So where do I go from here? Do you have a workaround other than telling me to browse to the mobile version of Vimeo?

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

Since I can get to the mobile version of vimeo from my phone is there a way to embed a mobile version of my video on my mobile site?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

The regular iframe embed code will automatically switch to the mobile version of a video, if available, when it detects you're viewing from a mobile device

Are you not able to view embedded videos or videos on the mobile site?

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

Tommy this is the issue I am having the regular iframe embed code is not automatically switching to the mobile version of my video. Yes, I have a mobile version of my video available. I know this because when I browse to Vimeo on my phone it display and plays the video on the mobile Vimeo website without stuttering. I'm able to view the embedded video on my mobile web site but it stutters because instead of loading the mobile version of my video on vimeo it is playing the HD version.

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

I still don't have an answer as to why my mobile phone isn't playing the mobile version of my video or more importantly if the embed code can't detect it is there a way to use embed code to point to it.

Mark

Mark Staff

Hi Michael. Our support hours are 10AM to 6PM. Tommy will respond shortly.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Michael, I went to your Air Tandems site (very cool!) and the video on the page plays back on two of my three Android devices. On the one it didn't play on (Samsung Galaxy S II) it didn't play back due to the known Android playback issue.

We'll be making some changes to help with device compatibility in the very near future. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

When I play the videos, they play, but stutter. In otherwords, it plays for 5 seconds pauses for 2 seconds plays for another 5 seconds pauses for another 2 seconds throughout the whole video. I'm convinced the iframe embed code isn't switching to the mobile version of the video. Is there a way to explicitly call the mobile version of the video through the iframe embed code without depending on the autodetect? I'm convince the autodetect isn't working for the Androids I've tested.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry, it's not possible to specifically call the mobile version. Do you have your phone set to load the desktop versions of sites?

This is on the Droid X with 2.3.4 yes?

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

Yes it is a Droid X with 2.3.4. No, I don't have my phone set to load the desktop versions of the sites. When I browse on my phone to vimeo.com it automatically switches me to vimeo.com/m and the videos play fine. It seems from other forums I've read a lot of users are have issues with the mobile playing in vimeo. Why not make it possible to specifically call the mobile version of a video through the iframe? Can you put in a request they change it so you can explicity specify the mobile version of their video in the iframe embed code?

So for now I am still left with my issue. When a video is made mobile ready what resolution is saved in? I would prefer to have a lower res video that plays on all devices than a HD that only plays well on laptops and workstations.

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

So my goal is to make the videos play well on all devices workstations, laptops, phones, tablets whatever. What do I need to do to make this happen assuming the iframe embed code isn't working on Androids. What resolutions do I need to save my videos in?

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

Tommy can you answer my question? Is there another lower resolution I could save my video in that would allow the video to play smoothly across all devices including phones?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We have the same goal - to play well on all devices, laptops, phones, etc... but due to the nature of Android (device types, OS versions, hardware types, browsers, etc) we cannot guarantee playback everywhere. We do our best to support as many devices as possible.

It isn't possible to specifically call the mobile version of a video. The mobile version is transcoded at 480p; videos uploaded with smaller dimensions keep their original resolution when transcoded for mobile. Uploading a lower resolution file will only serve to play a lower resolution video on the desktop and other devices.

Are you having trouble playing back other videos on with your 2.3.4 Droid X?

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

No I am not having trouble playing back other video on my 2.3.4 Droid X. I'm only see stuttering in the videos when I try to play a video with the iframe embed code.

Michael Jahn

Michael Jahn

I wanted to let you know I will not be renewing my Vimeo Plus subscription. Please let me know once you have the Android issues resolved so that the Iframe embed code plays the mobile version of the video and not the HD version or you are able to explicity call the mobile version of the video in the Iframe embed code. Until that time, I will using YouTube which to be able to do a better job at playing videos across all platforms.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.