Free To Choose Network

Free To Choose Network PRO

I am trying to show my vimeo videos on a mobile site we are creating for our business. I have a Pro account and have checked the "Make my videos compatible with mobile devices" box in the video settings. We are embedding them using the embed codes provided by vimeo. On android, when the videos are changed to full screen the controls are very small on the bottom and it is difficult to change the volume and return to normal size. This isn't an issue on iOS devices thanks to the native player that takes over once the video is started in full screen. Has anyone else had this issue and if so have you found a way to make it easier to use the controls in android devices. Thanks

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

It sounds like your Android device is still loading the desktop site/version instead of the mobile site/version. Make sure your device is set to load the mobile version of sites, as that will load more touch-friendly controls for your device.

You may also need to clear the cache/cookies/history from your browser for the mobile setting to stick.

Free To Choose Network

have tried on multiple android devices and all controls seem small. Is it supposed to be large like when viewed on an iOS device?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing and link back to it here? You can upload the image to ge.tt

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Yeah those are definitely the desktop controls as opposed to the mobile controls. Is your device set to load mobile site versions?

After you tap play, do the controls switch to the native Android controls? If not, you're loading the desktop version and/or the Flash player (Flash isn't necessary for mobile devices).

Free To Choose Network

yes my device is set to load mobile site versions. I have tested this on a couple other android devices made by other companies (motorola, HTC, Samsung) and all are showing this player. Is there a way to force the mobile player? These videos are being played on a mobile site so I would prefer if the mobile player was default anyway. Thanks

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Can you link me to the site they're embedded on so I can take a look?

Free To Choose Network

it is on our local server as of right now. I am taking off for the day so I will push it on to our main server in the morning and will send you a link then. Thank you for looking into this for me.

Free To Choose Network

here is the link
freetochoose.tv/m/index.php

sorry took so long. Have been in meetings all morning. It is pretty much bare bones as of now. I just want to make sure that I can get the media player working correctly on mobile sites before moving forward. Thanks

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Are you using the default Android browser? I went to your page on a couple of Android phones using the default browser and the player worked as expected.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Take a look at my screenshot from a Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1.1 below. After tapping play, the video switches to the native Android video player, which is the desired behavior.

Link: cl.ly/image/3k1r0H1n1n3C

Free To Choose Network

what does yours look like while in full screen though? Are your controls still small like the image I sent you?

Free To Choose Network

i'm not getting them. and my full screen is locked in landscape mode. is it compatible with android 4.0+

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We do have an issue with playback not working at all on some Android devices, but your issue doesn't seem to be that. Without a doubt your devices are loading the desktop player; the volume bar is loading, according to your screenshot. The volume bar shouldn't be rendering on mobile at all.

Link: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:101891

Free To Choose Network

ok. I will test on more android devices. Hopefully it is limited to only a couple devices over here or else I will have trouble being able to push forward on this. Thank you for your help

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Happy to help, let me know if you have any more questions!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.