Rick Mansfield

Rick Mansfield Plus

I received a message yesterday from another Vimeo user that asked my permission to use clips of my videos for Buzzfeed. While I'm flattered, I can't help but think that this my be a scam. The message came from the account of "Matthew Gustafson" ( vimeo.com/user20638452 ) but the message purports to be from Becky Harris. The account has only been active one day and there are no videos. This smells like a scam to me.

Anyone know anything? Here is the message below:

Matthew Gustafson 13 hours ago
Hello,
My name is Becky Harris and I'm a producer working for BuzzFeed Video.
you can check out our work at youtube.com/buzzfeedvideo
I am currently working on a motivational video for BuzzFeed and I love your clips!
I was wondering if I could have permission to use some parts? We would provide credit in the description of the video and link back to your page.
Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing back from you!
Best,
Becky

Mark

Mark Staff

Unfortunately I cannot provide any advice for you. If you feel it may be a scam, then I would not answer it.

Mikey Perry

Mikey Perry Staff

As Mark said, Staff can't provide any advice for you other than to use your best judgement.

You can find some other advice from a fellow Vimeo user below.

Lucky 13 Studios / Joseph Dunphy

"Unfortunately I cannot provide any advice for you."

But I can. Let's do a Google search under that pair of names, and see what we find.

google.com/search?q="Matthew Gustafson" "Becky Harris"

Your post is the only thing that shows up, in a search engine that routinely turns up results by the hundreds even for relatively obscure users of the Internet. If there really was a Becky Harris, and she had a relationship of trust with a Matthew Gustafson close enough to justify her use of his email account, eg. they were husband and wife, father and daughter, boss and trusted personal assistant ... something, anything ... wouldn't he have mentioned her somewhere? Yet he hasn't, as far as a search engine known for its deep penetration of websites can tell.

There's a saying: "a lie has no memory." Forgetting one's own name would be some trick, but forgetting an alias would be easy. This person wants to do business with you, while lying about "her" name, apparently, assuming that "Becky" even is female. If "Becky" had no intention of doing anything that you'd want to complain about later, why would she want to conceal her identity from you? That wouldn't make working with you in the future any easier, if you discovered the deception.

Yes, people have been known to do irrational and foolish things, but irrational and foolish people are best avoided, so either way, I would say avoid this one, and duly note the fact that Vimeo didn't seem to care much about an apparent scammer using its services.

Do not give permission.

Rick Mansfield

Rick Mansfield Plus

Thanks, Joseph. I also ran a search for "Becky Harris" and Buzzfeed and didn't find anything, so that is an indicator as well.

You're welcome, Rick. I just noticed that the link to "Matthew Gustafson's" profile on Vimeo is dead, so I'm guessing that somebody on the Vimeo staff did, in fact, delete his account.

If they did delete it, good for them.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.