See It Media

See It Media Plus

Hello,

I use Vimeo to host the videos on my portfolio site. Yesterday, playback was fine. However, today, when I press play on the embedded videos on my site, there is no video playback, only audio plays. When I go to the videos and play them directly on Vimeo, they work just fine.

What gives?

Link: matthewstanton.net/?cat=9

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

I was able to watch your video. Could you try opening an alternate web browser and giving it another look?

See It Media

See It Media Plus

Hi Derek, thanks for your prompt response.

I've tried Chrome and Internet Explorer and with both browsers I'm experiencing the same issue, no video playback, only audio. :/

Mikey Perry

Mikey Perry Staff

Strange – playback is fine for all of the videos on that page in all browsers on our end.

Have you tried testing on a different computer?

Antonio

Antonio

I get the same problem on mine, the embedded video doesn't play in chrome (but to me it works ok in firefox), although everyone else can see it in chrome, on my pc I can only hear the audio, until a few weeks ago it was working fine

Antonio

Antonio

I can also hear the audio on yours but can't see the video, it must be the same bugs on both our computers

Antonio

Antonio

my link is antoniofx.com/reel , I already posted it in the forum and you guys said it was working, and I actually had friends testing it in chrome and it works for them too, it's just me and aparently a few others who are unable to see the embedded videos in chrome :)

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

It looks like this video plays back fine for me. Could you ask them to clear cache and cookies and try uninstalling and reinstalling their Flash Player?

Antonio

Antonio

uninstalled the flash player and when trying to install it again it says my google chrome has flash player built in, I clear cache and history and same problem :( what's weird is it was working fine before and I didn't change anything to it

-

-

It would be helpful if you provide information about the settings of the browsers ,plug-ins and activex to compare them to those who can view the video that you can't view so you can figure out what was reqiured that is missing to view it.

Hafsteinn Brynjólfsson

Hafsteinn Brynjólfsson

I have the same problem, using chrome. I can watch vimeo videos on the vimeo.com site, but when my friends post their videos on sites i only get sound, but the video is Black.

I also have the same problem with Instagram videos. I get the sound but the video is black. Is it the same player for the both or ?

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you please try re-installing Chrome? If the problem continues, please let me know.

Mark

Mark Staff

Do you have any add-ons or plugins installed for Chrome?

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I've had the same problem for the better part of this year (2013). I've done a complete removal of all Google products, re-installed Chrome alone (no extensions save Hangout add-ons) and still have the issue.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Dave, could you please describe the issue you are experiencing?

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you ask them to try opening an alternate browser and taking another look? Thanks.

Kevibn Ketchen

Kevibn Ketchen

Hi - I've tried to view videos in Firefox 24.0, Chrome 30, Google Canary and IE and all I get is audio - no video. Used to work fine across browsers but I've been having this problem for a couple months now. And, we shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall browsers for the videos to work. Are you guys working on this known issue?

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

We are not aware of any such issue at the moment. Is this happening with all Vimeo videos? And are the videos on-site on Vimeo, or are they embedded?

Laurana Wong

Laurana Wong

I'm having the same problems here... Audio but no video in all the embedded versions of my Vimeo videos. In Chrome. In IE. They play fine on the Vimeo site

Laurana Wong

Laurana Wong

I just opened a video in Windows Live Movie Maker. I am seeing the same thing happen - - audio playback but no video. This points to a system problem instead of a Vimeo problem... Could be that the graphics driver needs to be updated...

Mark

Mark Staff

Maybe! Unfortunately, we're not able to assist with any issue that are non-vimeo related.

Laurana Wong

Laurana Wong

Understood. I posted with the intent of giving ya'll and the users a wider perspective on what may be causing the embedded Vimeo videos to fail.

wsackley

wsackley Plus

My video plays on everything except for a new high end display HP laptop - which works only with Safari. IE & Chrome play audio only. Video shows only a black box on this laptop. I've looked at the laptops settings, IE & Chrome settings. I must be missing something. Suggestions?

wsackley

wsackley Plus

Windows 7 64 & 32 bit. Works on all our PCs except the HP Pavilion Laptop (Win 7 64, Intel Core i7, Radeon Graphics, 8gb RAM). YouTube, Easy Web Video, etc. work on it. Go to menu - "Sample Pages" > "Gallery Page"

Link: wsackley.com

wsackley

wsackley Plus

Well here's my solution to the problem with the Dell Pavilion dv6 with Win 7 and Radeon graphics:
1.) IE - go to Internet Options, Advanced tab, Accelerated graphics...check "Use software rendering instead of GPU"...reboot computer. Vimeo video now working properly (no black box where video should be)
2.) Chrome - in URL box type "Chrome://flags", find "Disable hardware-accelerated video decode" - change to "disable". Problem now resolved in Chrome also.

Paul Millward

Paul Millward

Thank you.
I was having a similar problem i.e. Audio only when playing an MP4 through Chrome 30, but the same video played properly in IE.

I disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome via the Settings/show advanced settings and this fixed the problem.

I have a HP pavillion DM4 notebook running Windows 7 64 bit and a Radeon HD 7470M graphics card.

Darren Fearns

Darren Fearns

I had the same issue on my HP, this has fixed it for me, now video accompanies the audio... thank you

Maksim Ogorodnik

Maksim Ogorodnik

Also faced with a problem on Win 7.
In Chrome instead of video displays a black area, but the sound is played.
Before everything worked properly.
Video correctly reproduced on the Window XP in Chrome and other.
Is there a solution for this bug?

Web-con

Web-con

Facing same issue... for about 3 months now only with vimeo problems not with youtube embedding or whatever... Only VIMEO

Gabe Parmley

Gabe Parmley

I was using Windows 8 with Radeon 7470 Mobile graphics card and had no issues. Downgraded to Windows 7 about a month ago and been having issues ever since. Only Vimeo videos. Youtube, local video playback, other sites, they all work fine. I cannot view a single Vimeo video. Multiple browsers. Definitely seems like a driver incompatibility for Radeon cards, but only more recently and affecting Windows 7. Windows 8 has been working fine, as I previously mentioned. What are the specs on Vimeo videos compared to say, Youtube, or regular AVI/MP4 etc.?

Laurana Wong

Laurana Wong

For me, it turned out to be a problem with my AMD graphics drivers and software. Some people see a problem after their software is updated... I've been seeing Catalyst Control popping up saying it had stopped, so i knew something was funky... I uninstalled the AMD software and drivers from the Device manager (devmgmt.msc in Start Search) and from Programs and Features (appwiz.cpl in Start Search). I also used AMD's uninstall tool: sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

I reinstalled the latest versions of my graphics drivers and software. Note: When I first started fixing this problem, I tried to update the drivers without uninstalling them. It didn't work. Seems like a complete uninstall was required first - - even a clean of the registry...

Now, I'm seeing my embedded Vimeo videos in Chrome again, and Windows Live Movie Maker is also behaving properly.

Laurana Wong

Laurana Wong

For those of you who have the problems with embedded Vimeo videos in your browsers, open a jpeg in Windows Live Movie Maker. If you hit the play button underneath the preview tray and it plays a black screen (instead of your jpeg), it's most likely a problem with your computer's graphics software/drivers and not a Vimeo issue.

Jasper van Nistelrooy

Jasper van Nistelrooy Plus

I have the same problem for some time now, but only on Chrome. Any video will play with only sound and a black screen. Embedded, or directly on Vimeo. Reading this topic, I tried to update my drivers, but that didn't help. Videos are working with Firefox.

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hi Jasper, what version of Windows are you running? If it's 7 or 8, could you try updating to IE11 (the latest version) and seeing what results you get in that browser? Thanks!

Tanner DeGiovanni

Tanner DeGiovanni

I am experiencing the same issue. All vimeo videos whether embedded or not will not work and simply show a black screen while the audio plays with my google chrome which I reinstalled to try and fix the issue; however, vimeo videos work fine in Firefox and Internet Explorer 10.

Mark

Mark Staff

Please let me know if this helps

• Open your Chrome browser and type the following in the URL bar: chrome://flags
  • Then, scroll down until you see the setting "Disable hard-ware accelerated video decode."
  • Look for the button that says "Enable" and click it so that it changes to "Disable."
Tanner DeGiovanni

Tanner DeGiovanni

Thanks for getting back to me Mark. I tried this and it didn't seem to work.

Ludmila Naves

Ludmila Naves

same here. just sound, no image. if i watch on vimeo pages or if it is an article that linked something from vimeo. since the first complaint, one moth ago, have you got something to fix it?

Mark

Mark Staff

• Open your Chrome browser and type the following in the URL bar: chrome://flags
  • Then, scroll down until you see the setting "Disable hard-ware accelerated video decode."
  • Look for the button that says "Enable" and click it so that it changes to "Disable."
Martyn Kirby

Martyn Kirby

Same issue
Tried the movie maker trick but it played the jpeg no problem, IE crashes my laptop on opening any other bright ideas??

Mark

Mark Staff

Daniel Dias

Daniel Dias

I´m having this problem... just video playback dons't work, audio runs correctly...

Mark

Mark Staff

Daniel Dias

Daniel Dias

Hey Mark, i was looking for what you say and get inside the options, advanced and later disable the hardware acceleration... and works!!! thanks!!!

Don Lobber

Don Lobber

I am having the same issue as everyone above. I haven't tried anything with my graphics card as of yet. Its happening on all videos embedded or on the site.

Mark

Mark Staff

Jay Santiago

Jay Santiago

Greetings, hardware acceleration can often be the culprit, especially with older video cards ( over two-three years old ) even newer cards can be a problem. Try this very simple solution. For Firefox find the Hardware Acceleration switch located in your menu item TOOLS /Options/Advanced/"use hardware acceleration when available" Untik that or rather Un-select it IF it is selected. For problems playing back Youtube video right click the on a video and deselect hardware acceleration, our reel issue is we need updated machines or video cards but this should work for most in the meantime.

kent ford

kent ford

Has anyone mentioned trying reinstalling/updating the directx and or flash player for their browser?

SidneyW

SidneyW

Has to be vimeo problem; youtube is fine using Chrome, IE and Firefox. This is recent issue with Vimeo

Mark

Mark Staff

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.