Paul@scc

Paul@scc

Hi.
I used to have the HD icon in the bottom right on my vids, but now it's gone.
What's the problem. ??

Many thanks
Paul

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you link me to one of the videos you are having trouble with? Thanks.

Paul@scc

Paul@scc

Hi Derek.
Here's a link vimeo.com/70680970

Im sure all my recent vids had HD in the corner. I'm viewing on a ipad so not sure if that's the problem. It never used to be.

Cheers
Paul

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

On iPad we now serve the highest quality video that the device can play back, it's no longer possible to manually switch between SD and HD playback on iPad.

Paul Wex

Paul Wex Plus

Well, this is strange, because my iPad2 was able to play back every 720p video in super clear quality before you add changes. Now it's not anymore...:-(

Paul@scc

Paul@scc

Yep same here.
I'm also using ipad2. When I had the HD my vids were definitely better quality on the ipad.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

With HLS streaming on the iPad, quality also depends on your internet connection and works with the rationale of, "we'd rather show you SD video instead of making you wait to buffer HD video". If you do want to 'force' HD, tap Play to initiate playback, then pause to buffer -- if you have a good enough connection, HD will start loading after a few moments.

Paul@scc

Paul@scc

You would rather show me sd than for me to wait for HD.
I think I will be the best judge of that thank you.

I've tried the forcing hd you mentioned and it doesn't work and no there is nothing wrong with my connection.

Paul Wex

Paul Wex Plus

Okay good to know, thanks. Anyway, a "force mobile HD" option would have been great as well for usual high vimeo level. I am not sure if waiting for buffering to maybeHD at fast connection spots would look professional at mobile presentations ;-)

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks Paul and Paul for the feedback, we're constantly making improvements to the player.

Paul@scc

Paul@scc

Sorry, but I wouldn't call it an improvement.
When I was able to have hd I'm sure my vids looked a little better.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Paul@scc

Paul@scc

It seems I can with this vid. vimeo.com/44922786

I will go on my home comp later and see if my vids have the HD icon in the corner.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

That video is an edge case where of the different quality video versions (mobile/SD/HD) reside on different servers. Because the files are on different servers, we can't automatically select the best version for your iOS device (this method is called HTTP Live Streaming, or HLS) and instead we fall back to the HD button.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.