Juan Escobar

Juan Escobar

Hello,

I'm getting this error message in various videos here on Vimeo:

"This video can't be played with your current setup."

I'm using Chromium: Version 28.0.1500.71 Ubuntu 13.04 (28.0.1500.71-0ubuntu1.13.04.1).

I appreciate your help.

Link: vimeo.com/16018419

Juan Escobar

Juan Escobar

Hello Derek, In Firefox works well, but I use Chromium and is boring switch browser in order to play the video :P

Juan Escobar

Juan Escobar

I also cleared the cache and still it doesn't works.

ochre

ochre

i cleared the cache from the beginning of time, still doesn't play.

ochre

ochre

well, at work i tried it in chromium (doesn't work) and firefox (works).
surprisingly, it works in chromium on my laptop at home.

any specific differences between the versions i should check out?

Mark

Mark Staff

Hmm, are they both the same version? Do you have any add-ons or plugins installed on one that's not on the other? Firewalls? Antivirus?

ochre

ochre

version at home, the one that works, is:
Version 28.0.1500.71 Ubuntu 13.04 (28.0.1500.71-0ubuntu1.13.04.1)
and has only adblock and poe extensions, nothing related to video playback
nothing else was touched, i use both versions as they were installed
no antivirus, firewall is whatever is default on ubuntu

i'll let you know about the other version when i get to work tomorrow

ochre

ochre

ok, i figured it out. on my laptop i keep the graphics card switched off so there was no hardware acceleration, that's why it worked. when i switch it on, it doesn't work.

to Juan Escobar and whoever elese has this same problem, just go to Settings, click on 'Show advanced settings...' at the bottom, and then uncheck 'Use hardware acceleration when available'

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Is this happening on specific videos or all videos on Vimeo? Also, what Android device do you have?

N K

N K

Hi, I tried to disable the hardware acceleration but I have the same problem as described earlier.
It happens with ALL the videos, with chromium AND firefox. I don't have any addons and I'm on windows 8, any hints, please ?

Mark

Mark Staff

Looks like you don't have flash installed (or the version you have installed is corrupted). You need to install flash.

sonamdolma

sonamdolma Plus

I have the same problem. This happens in Firefox only on particular videos, for a random example: vimeo.com/72745
I have it whether hardware acceleration is on or off. I just now installed the latest update to Flash. Still can't view some videos.Thanks for your help.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Are you running any plug-ins or add-ons? If so, could you try disabling them?

Grow Utah Ventures

Grow Utah Ventures

I'm having the same problem the last two days. Some videos play and some don't. I'm using Windows 7 on PC with Firefox 25.0.1 and IE 9.0.8112.16421. Flash plugin is up to date. The problem is happening in both IE and Firefox. For example, I went to the BeyondTheStill channel (The Story Beyond The Still) and experienced the following:
- Ferris In Focus didn't play at first and then did play 5 minutes later (The Story Beyond The Still)
- Wedze, The Pleasure of Skiing did play (The Story Beyond The Still)
- Wedze Childrens Ski Jackets did play (The Story Beyond The Still)
- The Perfect Dream did not play (The Story Beyond The Still)
- Revelation did not play (The Story Beyond The Still)
- Capital City Market did not play (The Story Beyond The Still)

Why are some playing and some not? Frustrating!

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, could you please provide some more details as to what happens when you try to play videos? Do you see an error message? Does the video appear to buffer? Please provide as much information as possible. Thank you!

Gerry

Gerry

None of your videos seem to work for me since about a week ago. I figured I'd give you guys some time to fix it, but wasn't expecting it to be this long. Has been working for years with no problem:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/30.0.1599.114 Chrome/30.0.1599.114 Safari/537.36

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Gerry, could you please provide some more details as to what happens when you try to play videos? Do you see an error message? Does the video appear to buffer? Please provide as much information as possible. Thank you!

Gerry

Gerry

A a quick 5 second glance you guys are trying to load the videos via http on a https page, which means there could be an injection attack which renders the encryption useless and so good browsers are rightfully blocking it.

The page at vimeo.com/77927157 displayed insecure content from pdl.vimeocdn.com/83062/427/200370850.mp4?token2=1385340485_b2e80b145feca93dcaaf4fd8b13a9f4a&aksessionid=e85c24ef984de764.
player.js:43
The page at vimeo.com/77927157 displayed insecure content from pdl.vimeocdn.com/97881/474/200370853.mp4?token2=1385340485_dd0ac30e5cdbeaa6cd6bee0a4f2452fc&aksessionid=a7fd8b50d847b5ed.
77927157:1
[blocked] The page at vimeo.com/77927157 ran insecure content from player.vimeo.com/v2/receiver.html.
player.js:229
The page at vimeo.com/77927157 displayed insecure content from pdl.vimeocdn.com/97881/474/200370853.mp4?token2=1385340485_dd0ac30e5cdbeaa6cd6bee0a4f2452fc&aksessionid=a7fd8b50d847b5ed.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Gerry, we serve as much data as we can over HTTPS, however serving the actual video file over HTTPS isn't possible at this time due to performance and scaling concerns. We're very much interested in serving video over HTTPS but there are a number things that need to happen first before that is plausible.

Tim Farrell

Tim Farrell Plus

Both vimeo.com/105597 and vimeo.com/81612 no longer play for me. I get the same "This video can't be played with your current setup" error. I haven't tried every one, but most of my other videos play fine.

Flash is up-to-date. I get the error in Chrome. I tried IE, and it doesn't display the error but doesn't play either.

Tim Farrell

Tim Farrell Plus

the problem videos also do not work on my phone, but the others play fine. The hardware acceleration Chrome setting doesn't fix this issue.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Sorry about that! I am going to try to re-convert your videos now.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Sorry about that! I am going to try to re-convert your video now.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

I was able to watch your video. Could you try updating your web browser to it's latest version?

joakimerdfelt

joakimerdfelt

The https-everywhere extension (from eff.org) is the cause of the problems on my setup.

eff.org/https-everywhere/

and

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/https-everywhere/gcbommkclmclpchllfjekcdonpmejbdp?hl=en-US

What's happening ...
Click a link to a video. Say vimeo.com/82038912
The https-everywhere extension kicks in and automatically sets it to vimeo.com/82038912
Click play.
The current vimeo setup attempts to load various javascript files and the real video file from pdl.vimeocdn.com/
Security rules in Chrome and https-everywhere rejects that form of access (loading insecure content from a secure context).

The current release version of https-everywhere is 2013.10.16
That has the old, (used to be working) ruleset for Vimeo.
However, the changes to how vimeo serves content over the past few months have broken this ruleset.

The rulesets - eff.org/https-everywhere/atlas/domains/vimeocdn.com.html

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Unfortunately we cannot serve the video files over https at this time. They will need to update the extension to allow the video files over http or you will not be able to watch them.

joakimerdfelt

joakimerdfelt

Hey Brad.
Never asked for the video itself to be served over SSL+HTTP (aka HTTPS). We hear you, it won't happen. We accept that. We really don't want to convince you to allow it even.
Just pointing out that there' s been a change in the way content is served from vimeo that is affecting users of Chrome. Vimeo used to work just fine, months ago.

On a pristene Chrome 31.0.1650.63 installation, on a fresh install of an OS, with no extensions or customizations made to Chrome, with no networking proxies in the way, over a 20/mbit cable modem connection.

When you click play, there are 4 versions of the video that are attempted, each one will be canceled by Chrome because of an attempt to access HTTP content (the video/mp4) from an HTTPS source (the player javascript).

Here's the details and error message in a gist (paste) so that this forum software wont reformat it.
gist.github.com/joakime/8032306

Link: gist.github.com/joakime/8032306

joakimerdfelt

joakimerdfelt

Just tested with Chrome Canary 34.0.1751.0 on OSX 10.9.1 and the symptoms are identical. The requests to pdl.vimeocdn.com are canceled by Chrome with an error message that accessing HTTP from HTTPS is invalid.

FYI: Chrome Canary is the development line of Chrome that is used to test new and upcoming features for future releases of Chrome.

Note: Chrome 32.x series is likely due out before the end of the year, so that can be attempted as well. (but if 31 doesn't work, and 34 doesn't work, the likelihood of 32 or 33 working is slim)

joakimerdfelt

joakimerdfelt

ok, that was pointless. the forum software strips out the useful "http" vs "https" portions of the URLs.

chris tangey

chris tangey PRO

Happening to me too, on a brand new macbook pro, on both safari and firefox. All of my videos have the error message above. Also I am trying to allow somebody on the other side of the country to download a video urgently for a presentation but all it does is stream when you hit the download button. This is clearly something to do with vimeo, please advise.

Jim V.

Jim V.

Same here, won't play any video's on my laptop, using IE - but they DO play on my Galaxy tablet (android).

Mark

Mark Staff

Our developers are currently looking into this issue, sorry for the inconvenience!

chris tangey

chris tangey PRO

Thanks Mark, happy to go through an elimination process with them if they want to contact me

BJanssen

BJanssen

Same problem here, I upgraded from IE9 to IE11 on a Windows 7 64-bits, with latest Flash installed etc and all vimeo video's incl vimeo.com itself give me the "This video can’t be played with your current setup." error. If I go into F12 developers mode > emulation, and set the document mode from 'edge' to '10' or '9' it plays fine without error.

Maybe this helps aswell:
The following urls that are getting loaded with de default (Edge/IE11) document mode while I goto vimeo.com (without logged in) give a 503 response (DNS failure):
secure-a.vimeocdn.com/p/2.2.2/proxy.html
secure-a.vimeocdn.com/p/2.2.2/fonts/player-share.eot?
secure-a.vimeocdn.com/p/2.2.2/fonts/player-share.woff
secure-a.vimeocdn.com/p/2.2.2/fonts/player-share.ttf
If I switch to IE10 document mode, it seems these four url's are not getting loaded.

The weird thing is, when I open those urls in a normal browser link I get a normal 200 response.

BJanssen

BJanssen

Following last message (couldn't paste more tekst):
The response of the 503 error urls during a pageview with a video on it:

Initiator: frame navigate
Response: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable
Response body: Service Unavailable - DNS failure , The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later. - Reference #11.8e02655f.1387703131.25b45a39

BJanssen

BJanssen

UPDATE: Fixed my problems with IE 11

It seemed that the installed divx.com video decoder had some buggy html5 plugin installed in IE. Some months ago they removed it so when I reinstalled my video codecs pack upto the latest versions of all my filters HTML5 video was playing in IE again!

So for everyone, it might be with other browsers aswell (check if you can disable divx playing in it's settings): if you have some codecs pack installed (like Shark007, CCCP or K-Lite) uninstall it, check if the video plays correctly, then reinstall the codec pack and check if it still plays correctly.

Resources:
forums.divx.com/divx/topics/online_video_plays_but_shows_nothing
youtube.com/html5

The latter url got my attention that I had to look for HTML5 that was faulty. Maybe Vimeo can make such a page aswell to test if it's an HTML5 error or not?!

Hemanth.Chowda

Hemanth.Chowda

Hello, Please help me. I have uploaded my video file and given privacy setting with a password. But the video is not playing. Giving an error message saying "This video can't be played with your current setup". vimeo.com/hemanthchowda/highway....My other videos are playing well....Is it because of Basic account?

Thank you
HemanthChowda

Pedro Toscano

Pedro Toscano

Same problem here. I have uploaded my video file and it won't play correctly on firefox, neither on my mobile phone.
vimeo.com/83032796
Can you help me, please?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

What phone are you trying to play back video on?

With regards to Firefox, can you try clearing the cache and cookies?

Susie Crow

Susie Crow PRO

I cannot seem to play any videos, not my own, not a link sent by a colleague, nor even your tutorial videos. I press play and just get loading line indefinitely. On a Mac using Firefox, have updated Adobe Flash Player as advised but to no avail. What am I missing or doing wrong?
Have posted below the link to the colleague's video and to my own.

Link: vimeo.com/63932752

Susie Crow

Susie Crow PRO

hello Tommy, It works on Safari, thank you for that. Why not on Firefox though?

Susie Crow

Susie Crow PRO

Not that I am aware of - how can I check this? Sorry, very novice user this end

Kenneth Lanner

Kenneth Lanner Plus

I can not play the video i have uploaded today or yesterday. It does not load on Apple TV or Safari for IOS 7 or Safari for Mac. I only get an error message.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

I was able to play your most recent upload. Could you try opening an alternate web browser and playing the video?

Doug Miles

Doug Miles

I can't get ANY Vimeo videos to play on Safari or Chrome on 3 different Mac computers - an iMac, a MacPro and my MacBook Pro. I can get Vimeo to play on the MacPro on Firefox. On the lsptop Vimeo crashes Firefox every time I try to play something. What a pain!

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you please describe the issue in detail?

Doug Miles

Doug Miles

Here's what's really strange... If I pull my computer off this LAN and run it through cellular data, I can get Vimeo to play. I also checked it on my laptop on my home network last night, and it plays. So it's something with this network where we're working, but other people on the same network are saying they have no problem with Vimeo. YouTube plays OK, but not Vimeo.

Any idea what could cause a network to block only vimeo?

Mark

Mark Staff

I'd suggest contacting your network admin to see if anything has changed. *.vimeo.com and *.vimeocdn.com should be whitelisted.

Rik Van de Ven

Rik Van de Ven

'chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra' package work for me on Elementary OS

Dean Boulding

Dean Boulding

I tried all the above and couldn't view any videos. Here's how I fixed it. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Chromium Version 31.0.1650.63
1. I wanted to watch vimeo.com/33387515 but got the standard complaint about my setup.
2. Turned off hardware acceleration. No difference.
3. Installed the chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra package. No difference.
4. Installed youtube-dl (not sure you guys like this) and tried it on a number of variations on the URL. Consistently got a 404: Not Found error, which got me thinking.
5. Right click -> Inspect element on the video box, found the relevant tag for the video address and app: vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=33387515 (the embed_url)
6. Pasted that in the address bar and hit enter. To be honest I didn't expect this to work, I was really planning on copying the URL into youtube-dl.
7. Video began playing.
HTH, Dean

Sam Hasler

Sam Hasler

My problem was that our work proxy blocks the vimeo CDN but the error message made it sound like it had the video but couldn't play it.

Tommy Trussell

Tommy Trussell

Greetings! I had this problem with Chromium in Ubuntu 12.04 and installing chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra package fixed it... HOWEVER

I would have really appreciated at least a little hint at the solution, maybe in your FAQ. I searched every way I knew how on the Vimeo web site and this topic didn't come up, but fortunately it was new enough I found it by glancing through the forums. The error message itself could maybe be a bit more helpful too, maybe including a link to troubleshooting steps?

But anyway, thanks for all the hard work! I am really glad y'all have moved to supporting HTML5 since Adobe keeps scaling back support of Flash.

Kore Sar

Kore Sar

This solution helped me as well. Rebecca, please consider the "troubleshooting" page, or FAQ. Users would highly appreciate.
Thank you.

Scot Jeffus

Scot Jeffus

I run Windows 8.1 and have IE 11 and have the most recent Flash player installed. My Shockwave Flash Object is enabled but still cannot view videos. Please let me know what I can do to start watching videos.

Link: vimeo.com/81403941

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Are you running any add-ons or plugins with IE? If so, could you try disabling them and then take another look. Also, are you able to view videos in an alternate web browser?

Nick Murray

Nick Murray

My Video Freezes Half Way. At around the 51sec mark, the entire video freezes and the music cuts out. The video then comes back at 1.12 but everything in-between is gone. vimeo.com/85692787

I have re-uploaded and the same thing happens but in a different spot. Whats going on?
vimeo.com/85699828

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you try re-exporting this video from your editor and then uploading again?

Now Faith Church of God, (OLM#6)

Now Faith Church of God, (OLM#6) Plus

I have not downloaded my video for about 4 months. I did one today, but after downloading, I cannot play it back on my computer. Why?

Link: NFC(OLM#6) Bishop Ellis Mack - Telecast - Remember The Lord In The Days Of Your Youth

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Are you running any add-ons or plugins with Firefox? If so, could you try disabling them?

Soul and Legacy, L3C

Soul and Legacy, L3C

I cannot play any video through any browser(chrome-beta, chrome, firefox, opera) from multiple computers and multiple os's widows, mac, and Ubuntu. the error that continues to show is: This video can’t be played with your current setup. This has been the issue for the last few days..... any help that has not been already discussed in this forum would be great (ex: hardware acceleration, codecs, etcetera).

sue knt

sue knt

I have had the same problem, blank screen but sound come through ok...I found that I had a "flash block" on in the extensions of Firefox, turned this off and all works ok now...hope this helps ?

Andy Huynh

Andy Huynh

I've tried disabling my Firefox add ons and I get the "this video can't be played with your current setup" error message regardless. My video renders on Safari and Chrome. Whether I'm using my Mac 10.8 or an old Dell laptop from 2004, my video won't render in Firefox browser. Any thoughts?

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Are you running any add-ons or plugins with Firefox? If so, could you try disabling them?

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Are you running any add-ons or plugins with Safari? If so, could you try disabling them?

Luciano Baragiola

Luciano Baragiola Plus

Same problem here with Firefox 27.0.1.
I tried disabling the add-ons but nothing change.

I'm on a Mac Pro (2009), fresh installation of Mavericks.

With Chrome I have no problem.

With Firefox, I can't play any video on Vimeo and also embedded on websites.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.