Jamp Video

Jamp Video

Hi
Please forgive me if this has been raised a thousand times before but most of the similar threads have been closed.
I'm having real problems with jerky playback in HD. I've tried different browsers, all behave slightly differently but are all also jerky. I've tried allowing it to buffer to no avail and the connection is reasonably good. I understand you recompress anyway so i'm pretty sure my source video data rate can't be to blame.
Any clues?
Thanks

James

Link: jampvideo.com

Mark

Mark Staff

Is this happening with embedded videos? Or on Vimeo.com? With HD on or off or both?

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

Sorry embedded videos with HD on and off.

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

Just checked URLs and they don't look particularly smooth either

Mark

Mark Staff

Is it just like, slow buffering so the video keeps pausing and playing? Or is the motion itself choppy?

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

No it;s the motion, buffer actually appears to be ahead

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Are you running any add-ons or plugins? If so, could you try disabling them?

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

The only plugin i have running was ad blocker but disabling that didn't help.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Have you tried viewing the video in different browsers? Does the quality of the motion appear different across different browsers, or is it fairly consistent?

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

as per my original post, yes tried it on different browsers and consistently jerky

Mark

Mark Staff

In which browsers specifically? I noticed you just posted from Firefox 3.6. We do not support browsers that old.

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

Nice try, that's just the studio mac. Laptop is running chrome, safari and firefox, all up to date

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

Any ideas please? Everything still very jerky, little point in paying for an HD Plus account if smooth play back is only possible in SD....

Thanks,
James

Mark

Mark Staff

Unfortunately there's not much more we can suggest. If you'd like a refund for Plus, please email us here vimeo.com/help/contact and state that Mark authorized the refund in the forums.

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

Hmm ok thanks Mark. Is this something you see a lot? I'm pretty sure it's not this end. For example i was looking at some streamed Udemy content today; same browser, same resolution, perfectly smooth. Odd

James

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

i might also try elsewhere just to rule out connection speed before i claim a refund.

Mark

Mark Staff

We see it occasionally, yes. But there are thousands of variables in people's setups that it's near impossible to determine what the issue may be. Unless there's a known issue of something happening on our end, these cases usually go unresolved, or the user ends up resolving it on their own somehow.

Jamp Video

Jamp Video

OK i've done a lot of AB comparisons with connection speed and it's def not that. Today as a last resort i tried embedding the same videos and streaming from Youtube, plays back perfectly. I even did the same with a colleagues footage to rule out encoding issues; youtube fine, vimeo not. Vimeo is almost certainly the weak link. Any other suggestions? Bottom line is i want to use vimeo, i prefer it but will be forced to use youtube if clients can't see what i do!

Matthew Hardern

Matthew Hardern

Vimeo as a platform has never been able to play back video (ironically). I canceled our company subscription years ago after suffering client embarrassment time and time again. It amazes me any of us even consider it a real platform. Yesterday I was sent a pitch by a big post house - I watched their Vimeo showreel in a media studio on a brand new Mac - stuttering and freezing as usual - I was judging the 'smoothness' of their 3D animation ! I laughed so hard that a gathering of editors, producers and film makers assembled behind me and everyone agreed - as we all do - that Vimeo is useless at playing back video. The company were ashamed, sent me a file via dropbox, appologised and invited me to dinner to try and secure the work. It's a testament to 'Google Resistance' that anyone would even consider uploading serious or professional work here - they'll never sort it out and don't really care what anyone says or thinks. Sadly we are stuck with youTube - vive la revolution.

Mark

Mark Staff

This is not an issue for most people and note that you dug up a thread where the last post was 4 months ago to make this point. If you'd like to help us help you troubleshoot this issue, please feel free to email us vimeo.com/help/contact

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.