Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

//UPDATE: Version 4.1.2 is live in the App Store! This is a maintenance update, with bug fixes for many user reported issues.

//UPDATE: Version 4.1.1 is live in the App Store now! This update includes performance improvements, bug fixes, and notifications if your uploaded content is flagged by our Copyright Match system. More information on Copyright Match here: vimeo.com/blog/post:626

//ORIGINAL POST: Hi everyone! This is the big one, version 4.1 of the Vimeo iOS 7 app is available now, and we're really eager to hear your feedback! In addition to the usual bug fixes and performance improvements, you now have the ability to view user profiles, read comments, view descriptions, follow others, and tons more, all in a fresh and friendly interface!

The Vimeo app can be downloaded and updated from the App Store right here: j.mp/vimeo_ios7

If you have any questions, concerns, bugs, or constructive criticism, please post below!

Link: j.mp/vimeo_ios7

yneville

yneville

It only displays in portrait mode. I would like to chose between both. Unlocking my rotation did not do anything to let me view in landscape mode.

Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis

I thought mine was only in portrait mode also on my iPad Mini. Once I Iogged in and chose some things in the menu, it changed to landscape or portrait as I turned the iPad.

Diyar

Diyar

The new Vimeo looks great and i can now easily read the description and comments. But I'm having a little problem. When I play a video on my ipad and stream it to my Apple TV, it only keep playing when my ipad screen is unlocked. If I lock my ipad screen then the video stops playing on my Apple TV.

Thanks for bringing us a great app :-)

Andrew Broyles

Andrew Broyles

New design looks slick. Having trouble uploading through the default photos app with 4.1. Clicking "post" returns "video upload failed"

iPad 3rd Generation iOS 7.1.1

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We've got plans for Android (and yes, Chromecast) in the works, but we have limited staff/resources in app development, so we're focusing on creating one solid app at a time before we move on to another platform. Keep an eye out for updates!

David Beasley

David Beasley Plus

Just downloaded latest app. Have new iPad Air. Nice design but my channel videos freeze when I play them using this app. When playing on safari and chrome by normal URL search, no problem.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi David, what do you mean when you say 'Channel videos'? Which section of the app are you in (Feed, Likes, Watch Later, etc)?

bigcheese.co.uk

bigcheese.co.uk Plus

Hi, overall it's a reasonable app but the Interface is very confusing and requires a lot of swiping, tapping, pinching etc to figure out what everything does - it's not vey intuitive and the minimalist look fails to communicate the functions clearly.

I don't think the white background is complimentary to the images (it would be nice if it were possible to customise) also I think that white backgrounds use unneccessary battery power as the pixels have to be lit up to be white - I think that black areas of the screen don't consume power?

Most annoying is that videos don't start at the beginning when you tap them! This is terrible if you're trying to present to a client and you have to scrub back to the start of the video.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

A white screen on the iPad doesn't consume significantly more power than a black screen - the backlight on the iPad is still turned on, regardless of what appears on-screen (take an iPad with a black screen into a dark room and you'll see what I mean).

I can't duplicate the issue you mention where videos aren't starting at the beginning. Can you provide me with the exact steps so I can replicate this myself/

Joseph Tam

Joseph Tam Plus

I'm guessing what bigcheese.co.uk means is that when you have the video downloaded to your device, you know how the video thumbnails would start playing the video while you are in your "my videos" page? When you click on the thumbnails while they are playing half-way, the videos goes full-screen and play at that point instead of starting from the beginning.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Ah, thanks for the clarification Joseph! I'll pass this along to our developers.

Joseph Tam

Joseph Tam Plus

Great update overall, love the new and improved interface.

One suggestion -- could you guys create a separate "downloaded to device" section from the "watch later" section? I usually download a couple of my own videos to my iPad mini for client presentations, but hate to see them show up in my "watch later" list when I'm logged in on the desktop.

The fact that the "watch later" and "add to device" functions use the same swipe direction is a little messy -- you can easily select the unintended option. How about get rid of the swipe (or keep only the "share" swipe function), and use "press and hold, new function pops up in circular fashion" aka the Pinterest app way?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the feedback. We considered a separate feed for synced videos but found Watch Later to be a better fit and easier to implement with the existing infrastructure on-site. Regarding the swipe interface I'll pass that along to our developers for consideration :)

SHADEmedia

SHADEmedia Plus

I also love the new look and all the new features. One problem I am having is that the resolution of a downloaded 'Watch Later' video is a really bad resolution (on my iPad mini retina). If I stream over WIFI it's of a considerably higher quality. Is that on purpose? I'd love to use it as a tiny portfolio for my video work but as it stands the quality (without streaming over WIFI) just isn't good enough :(

For the record: When I download the same 'watch later' video on my iPhone 5s it works fine, crisp and good quality...

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

In the App's Settings there are two toggles, one is for “stream in HD” and one is for “download in HD”. Seems like you've got the latter toggled to off on his iPad and on on his iPhone.

Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis

Is there a way in the new app to just browse videos? I can't seem to find it. I'm able to view my liked videos (and possibly people I follow,although I'm still finding that). I'm able to add and remove liked videos. I'm able to search for a video. However, sometimes I just like to browse through recently added videos, staff favorites, or even by category. I may be daft, but I'm not seeing that.

This could be an issue like mentioned above about the intuitiveness of the interface. I found the swiping before I saw any video or help images, and I ended up accidentally removing some liked videos from my list.

Despite these bewilderments (which may be wholly on me :) ), I like the look and feel of the app as a whole!

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hey Michael, you should be able to click the icon in the top-left and then click "Feed". This will show you your regular Home page Feed from the site!

John Davidson

John Davidson Plus

The IOS7 app doesn't work at all. I log in, and the app presents me with:
My Videos page: Blank. No videos, even though I have many videos on vimeo.com
Watch Later page: Blank, even though I have a half dozen or so "watch later" videos at vimeo.com
Feed Page: Blank No videos
Like Page: Blank, even though I have Liked many videos on vimeo.com
Search: No matter what search term(s) I use, there are never any results.

I am logged in with my vimeo plus account, and the internet connection is working.

What's going on?

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hi John, sorry you're having trouble. Can you try logging out and back in real quick? Also, could you maybe take a screenshot of the "blank" page you're seeing? It would be great to know if it is completely blank or if there is any text there saying "no videos found".

John Davidson

John Davidson Plus

Andrew, I logged out and back in again. All is well now -- everything seems fine. Thanks!

CRAIG ALLAN

CRAIG ALLAN Plus

Very frustrating. I downloaded app and now can't watch any of my videos!!! :( I have iPhone 5 and with latest updates. I had trouble with the first vimeo app so was excited to download the updated version hoping it would cure the issue of the spinning Wheel. Now all i get is the Playback problem error and then locks into a loop where i can't close out the rroe screen by pushing either watch later or retry???? Any help would be good. Im a plus user and love VIMEO but the mobile is not working for this guy!!! ( I do have high speed wifi and connected)

CRAIG ALLAN

CRAIG ALLAN Plus

I logged out and back in after reading over one blog and that fixed a few of the videos but some of them still have the same error???

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing and link back to it here? Use an image host like ge.tt or imgur.com to host the screenshot.

Paula Sherree

Paula Sherree

Been problems ever since you upgraded the app,couldn't get nothing.i logged out & back in as I seen a response to someone that had the same problem.but only stuff from the past wk on my feed comes up no continuous streaming like b 4.i only download from dean Ambrose.net but all the videos over the past 5 mths have gone from the app.can view only on Vimeo .com but that's awkward.anyway to use it & download all again on the app.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Paula, a new version with bug fixes was released to the app store today, can you try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it from the App Store?

Joseph Ng

Joseph Ng

Vimeo Upload Failed my Iphone5s ios 7.7.1 but ipad ios 7.7.1 is working fine ???

Peter H

Peter H

Not seeing the name or description of the videos is awful. Not going to click on every video to find out what it is about. Enormous waste of time.

Cardiff

Cardiff

Sorry to say (as i really like Vimeo) but the vimeo ipad app is probably the worst app I have.
1. Incredibly slow - I have fast broadband but its just unusable
2. Screen locked in portrait mode
3. (Once I can actually watch videos) it would make a difference to have a view of the video folders I have on the website. I have hundreds of videos but no easy way to find ones I want (especially when its taking minutes to even download small one!)

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Cardiff, can you explain exactly what part of the app is running slow for you? Are you referring to playback, feeds/thumbnails loading, etc?

With regards to being locked in portrait mode, only the login screen is locked to that orientation, once you're logged in you can hold your iPad in any orientation you wish.

Collections like Albums, Channels, and Portfolios might be added in a future update, we'll take that into consideration.

Cardiff

Cardiff

Hi
After the login in screen everything is locked in portrait. You have a bug . Also, even for login in screen forcing it to be portrait is a poor design. When i click on any movie they load so slowly as to be unwatchable (i stream netflix movies etc fine). Its the first app on my ipad/phone that just doesnt work. Generally since apple ios etc came along the main application just tend to work - this doesnt. Really hard to find the videos I want as well. Really surprised this version was released.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Can you try deleting and reinstalling the Vimeo app and see if that helps? It could be that something was corrupted when updating to the latest version.

shabanac

shabanac

The App sucks…SORRY.
I like Vimeo only from the beginning but...

i don´t can see my Videos in the App, i don´t can see anything in the App!!!
Only the menue…

Sorry, i´ve this problem in the Version 4.1.1 AND now in the new Version 4.1.2 too!

I can only use Vimeo in the Browser, the vimeo apps don´t run correctly on my iPhone 4s!

Link: dropbox.com/s/q8dkxy5apwfadsv/IMG_3040.PNG

Paul

Paul

The option "following" the channels is not activated in the apps. The menu only shows my videos, watches later, feed and likes.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

It's not possible to follow/unfollow channels at this time. Only following/unfollowing other Vimeo members can be done. We'll consider adding Collections in the future!

Arnold Marko

Arnold Marko

terrible upgrade... no descriptions, no visible navigation, just confusing... and where is the editing mode... do you really think I love Vimeo so much, that I will spend a day to figure out your swipes? Sorry, using youtube for my world cup video blog, even if I hate it... like with the page upgrade, you did it again... this is looks like disney or barbie... probably the last year for me to subscribe to such an unserious service... you should stay cool and play nice...

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Arnold, thanks for the feedback. The iOS 7 app is designed so that video content is front and center.

When you mention "editing mode" are you referring to the video editor from the last version of the Vimeo app (3.0)? Again, we dropped the editor to focus solely on the viewing experience. Our brothers and sisters at Cameo have basic editing in their app (cameo.tv).

If you want to edit the settings on a video, you'll need to look at the mobile site or standard desktop site. The iOS 7 app is focused on the viewing experience; the only settings you can edit on your videos are the clip title and the description. Creator-focused features need to be done from the site, for now.

André Supa

André Supa

WHEN, can we download videos through your app???

Sam MacCutchan

Sam MacCutchan

Hello, I like the new Vimeo app but I've been having some trouble with the download to my device feature.

The app doesn't always display a progress bar when downloading and doesn't clean up after itself when a download fails. It also downloaded some videos and then when the app relaunched didn't think they were there anymore, even though iOS said the Vimeo apps documents and data were over 500mb. When I swiped left to right it started the download again. The only way I could find to reclaim the space was to delete the Vimeo app and add it again from the app store.

I was going to provide more specifics about these issues but ran out of space to post here. Let me know if you'd like me to elaborate.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Sam, thanks for the valuable feedback. Like you mentioned, there are some 'cleanup' issues that our developers are aware of, and should have addressed in the next update. Thanks again!

John Hopkins

John Hopkins

The app in General is good but the biggest problem I have is not being able to browse sites I follow. Some of my follows post a lot of videos so I have to swipe past them to get to the next follow etc. I would like to be able to see how many people I'm following and select them individually. Otherwise it is just a long list of videos and I have to start at the top and swipe to the bottom. Thanks.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the feedback, John. We'll keep that in mind as we continue to improve the app!

elizabeth sullivan

elizabeth sullivan

VIMEO IS A RIPP OFF I HATE VIMEO I PAID $20 FOR DICK @NIGHT AND GOT NOTHING I HATE VIMEO

Mark

Mark Staff

Hey Elizabeth, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your VOD purchase! Can you please send us an email via our contact form (vimeo.com/help/contact) so we can get this all straightened out for you? We're here to help! :)

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

In the app, on the Vimeo mobile site, or embedded on another site? Can you link us to the video?

Jason Smith

Jason Smith

all but one of my videos play. the error i get is a frowny face that says "Playback Error...We're bummed, but you've got options. Watch Later/Retry" neither options work. i've deleted and re-installed the app three times. WTH?!!?!?!?!?! iphone 5s running iOs 7.1.2 and Vimeo 4.1.2 (800)

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Most older videos (uploaded 4+ years ago) aren't compatible with mobile devices. We could probably make that clearer in the app.

I'm re-converting your videos now so that they're compatible with the app. Try viewing your videos in a little while!

Sandeep Aggarwal

Sandeep Aggarwal

I am trying to see videos on iPad but the download is extremely slow. This is despite the connection being 8Mbps. It takes ages to buffer. I am not able to complete a video of 45 minutes over multiple days. On the other side, I face no such problem with either YouTube or any other player. Kindly help.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Sandeep, just to confirm, are you trying to watch the video through the Vimeo for iOS app, or through Safari on your iPad? If you're using the app, are you trying to download the video for offline viewing? Can you link me to the video?

Sandeep Aggarwal

Sandeep Aggarwal

Tommy, this is when viewed through app. No, I am not downloading for offline viewing. Actually, I do not know how to set up for offline viewing. You can try any video under watch later against my account "sandeepaggin". When played on Laptop, it's all fine. Besides, at times, it prompts on iPad "We are bummed, you have options - Watch later or Retry". Repeated tries don't help.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Can you link me to the specific video that is causing that error message to appear? Thanks.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the links. Some of those older videos from several years ago may not be compatible with the app or mobile devices. I'm re-converting these three videos now so they'll work on iPad, but the others may not work. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Sandeep Aggarwal

Sandeep Aggarwal

Thanks Tommy. The viewing experience has definitely improved. Could you let me or the owner of these videos know the need to convert these and the format that these should be converted to for unhindered viewing.

Sandeep Aggarwal

Sandeep Aggarwal

Tommy, I am waiting for your response to know more on the conversion that needs to be carried out for the remaining videos. An early response shall help us expedite the conversion and allow viewers to see these on ipad. Kindly reply on priority.

Geaux Media

Geaux Media Plus

Mine rarely works (using iOS 7.1.2). Currently stuck on a blank white screen (for a week now) and no way to exit. Just a bad app. It's on my list of "Great Companies with Bad Apps".

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

What device do you have? Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

Geaux Media

Geaux Media Plus

I uninstalled and re-installed about 3-4 times so far. I'm using the latest iPad (iPad Air) with the latest iOS (7.1.2). It happened once again yesterday - gets hung up on a plain white screen with no navigation buttons. Your only option is to close the app. When you re-open the app, it's still hung up on the white screen. Now today, it opens normally and appears to be working ok. This scenario (white screen hang-up then operates normally the next day) has repeated itself for at least 6 months. It repeats itself all the time.

**Also, my download connection is over 35 MBPS.

TGMRIMC

TGMRIMC Plus

How come Vimeo is forcing access to my contact list in order for me to use app? I'm pretty disappointed by this and instead of allowing access I've uninstalled the app.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

In version 4.2 you can now allow the Vimeo app to access your contact list so you can find your friends on Vimeo. If you don't want to use that feature, no problem, just deny access to the contact list and you can continue using the other features of the app.

Michael Linder

Michael Linder Plus

All I get after denying Vimeo's 4.2 app access to my contacts and camera roll is a frowny face incorrectly saying I have no videos. Same thing happens when accessing my account in the Safari browser. Yes, clicking the frowny face in the upper left corner of the app produces a framed imogi that ultimately takes me to my posts, but it's annoyingly cumbersome to get there, and I'm faced with your nagging me to surrender my privacy each time the app loads.

I've returned to your previous version, free of privacy prying. The price I'll pay is turning off auto updates for all my apps. This shouldn't stand.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you try logging out and logging back in to the app? Thanks.

TriUnion Films

TriUnion Films Plus

when i open the app on my iPhone with ios7 and v4.2, it will not let me go past the orange screen forcing me to allow access to my contacts which i will not do. you do not need that. the only option is the "continue" button with no work around. i've tried swiping, pinching, holding down on the face, logging out and back in, deleting and reinstalling, nothing will let me into the app. been like this for two weeks now. whats the deal?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

On that orange screen, tap 'Continue'. You'll then be given the iOS prompt to allow or deny access to contacts.

Maciek Urb

Maciek Urb

I want to be able to add videos to my Groups, Channels and Albums from my iphone. Or watch videos I saved there. Jesus - these are most my used features - not present in the app, which makes it simply unusable. Additionally, it seems, i can't do these things in the mobile version of the site as well - this makes my phone Vimeo proof ;(((( SAD

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

As always, we have updates and changes in the pipeline - especially with our mobile site. Keep a look out for updates, we know there's always room for improvement!

US Antigoon

US Antigoon Plus

I denied access to my contacts and photos.. Used the "continue" button and now it says there are no videos in "my videos" ...?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.