Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'm a relatively new user, so let me start off by saying 'hey' and 'thanks' to Zach, Jakob, and the Vimeo Crew

As a user of Youtube from day 1 and now a convert to Vimeo, I want to pose the question: Would more people using Vimeo be a bad thing or a good thing?

I bring this up because for those of you who use Youtube, you've certainly seen the spam comments, the negativity, the poor quality of videos (with regard to content), etc. And while I certainly want Vimeo to succeed and grow, I also fear the migration of spammers and others could threaten this community. Could the Vimeo staff ever go through each and every video to make sure that people only posted original material/videos? I highly doubt it. Obviously with the addition of new users who truly contribute to Vimeo, there will inevitably be those who abuse the site as well. Of course, from the business end, more users = success, and I think that Zach and Jakob certainly deserve it

The great thing about Vimeo is that it is so personal. In fact, within the first days of being on here, I got advice from another user about travel tips to Tokyo and he was more than happy to help - something I've never encountered on Youtube. Additionally, you get to see the videos of great artists from Sydney to London to here in the States. I'd hate to see such appealing elements compromised by the same things/people that have destroyed Youtube in my opinion. I'm not proposing any solution to this, but I think it's interesting to talk about

Weigh in with your 2 cents!
Thanks guys,
Tom

johnbmx4christ

johnbmx4christ

. you are correct..this place rocks..you boob has lots of negative comments.this place will give constructive criticism when asked but usually is a cool upbeat place..i think with the majority of the regulars around here it helps keep content original since you can flag the clips.i think its a good thing if more people come here..i mean i can barely keep up now but that would mean just more cool, original, awesome videos to watch and comment on.and more cool people to meet..sorry i couldnt find a place to put an "and/or".

dalas verdugo

dalas verdugo Staff

I think it's mostly a function of only allowing original material. We will continue to enforce that and will also continue to remain very active in the community.

Tallulah

Tallulah

I agree with dalas -- more users equals more original clips. Since I joined last summer, I have used vimeo pretty much daily and am constantly amazed at how creative and helpful people are. It is inspiring.

Also, by commenting on clips (and posting my own), I have established contacts around the globe. Come to think of it, I can't imagine a better use of the internet than vimeo. If I could buy stock in it, I would.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

My original thinking was along the lines of "what if Vimeo really blew up to even half the extent that youtube did" ...to the point that Dalas and the rest of the Staff do not have the time or resources to monitor everything Big Brother style. So far, it seems that the staff has done a great job of making sure that content is strictly original and not commercial. I agree that 1) this place is the "bee's knees" and 2) more users = more cool vids. Thanks for the replies

dalas verdugo

dalas verdugo Staff

Tallulah, you can buy stock in IAC, our parent corporation if you're serious. It's not doing too shabby. Stock symbol IACI.

Tallulah

Tallulah

Thanks for the information! I had forgotten that CV was an operating business of IAC. Shame on me.

A quick scroll down this page (iac.com/businesses.html) reveals that vimeo, Busted Tees, and College Humor are, indeed, "Emerging Businesses" of IAC. Also, your claim that IAC stock is "not doing too shabby" is quite correct:
phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=111999&p=irol-stockQuote

I wonder if Streeter and Amir's recent "prank war" had anything to do with that.

cayoyin

cayoyin

Go vimeo!! It rocks!!

muro

muro

Just stopped here to say hi, just registered. Site looks cool. Thumbs up!

Obar

Obar

cayoyin,
your picture goes perfectly with your comment

Scruff_E_Guy

Scruff_E_Guy

Yep, I'm a very new user too...don't even have a worthwhile cam yet... but I've enjoyed poking around, and I definitely give Vimeo major thumbs up over YouTube. Now that I'm here, I'm staying. :) The thing that brought me in and led me to signing up was the CV team's "Flagpole Sitta" lip dub....still my favorite. :)

Nick Douglas

Nick Douglas

I fell back in love with the site after "Flagpole Sitta" too. So glad to see all the happy people. So I started posting my own videos here.

Obar

Obar

yup, this is the only "open-membership" site i have never seen the "n" word written in a comment...

how DOOO you do it?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.