Zach Gore

Zach Gore

I know that I've read about H.264 video compression somewhere on this here site.

It would be great to be able to search the forums...
(I kid. I kid.)

Anyway, I wondered, specifically, whether anybody has experimented with the quality meter on FCP (maybe elsewhere, too?) and this format? At least on Final Cut, I have the option of placing the bar anywhere between 0% and 100% quality, but I'm wondering whether 75% is noticeably different than 100% (for example)?

Any input would be great!

-Zach

trident

trident

Eh, there isn't a load of difference noticable, except mabye the file size. Check out the download(s) for this: vimeo.com/clip:193762

The top one is encoded at medium, and the bottom one at near 100% (I forgot exactly if I pushed it all the way.) It's not that noticable, I think.

AaronJPatterson

AaronJPatterson

I always use 50% It looks great. Of course I also shrink it from 640x480 to 480x360. If it is for the web, I would shrink it to 480x360 at 50% quality (medium). Here is the link to a page on my site with an example at this compression:
aaronjamespatterson.com/otlnews.html
For the web, this is perfect. Pretty fast load time, pretty good quality.
SteveR posted this link elsewhere in the forums. digitaljournalist.org/issue0611/bentley.html It's a good tutorial on all the steps you take straight out of FCP using Quicktime Conversion and choosing H.264. He even includes a screencap video from his computer so you can SEE and READ what to do. Just change his dimensions (480x270 for animorphic) to 480x360 for standard.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.