wallyworld

wallyworld

I've just shot some short clips (1:50 & 3:50 mins) on my SONY MPEG digital still/movie camera. I've saved them to my desktop on iMac G5 and downloaded them here but only get a few seconds of play? Should they be compressed or something? I have Quicktime 7 Pro. Why don't you have a tutorial here for dummies like me? Very frustrating. I want to put them on my site - welcometowallyworld.com and talk about vimeo. We're not all techies, you know. It needs to be user-friendly or it won't work. Somebody help me (in dummies terms, please)?

Jake Lodwick

Jake Lodwick Alum

Are you saying the exact same files are minutes long on your desktop, but only a few seconds on Vimeo? We haven't touched your files, I'm not really sure how that could have happened.

wallyworld

wallyworld

Jakob. I have 42 secs on my desktop for the one I just shot on the SONY at 640 VGA this time. The other times I was shooting at 160 for email. Plays fine. But only plays like 3 secs on vimeo? And Vorannon..nope. safari.

wallyworld

wallyworld

no....that's not it. It's cutting the videos short.

Jake Lodwick

Jake Lodwick Alum

Wally, the only way they could be getting cut short is if the upload failed somehow, and that seems unlikely.

The only time we modify your videos is when we convert them to .mov files, which does not always occur. So, since your videos are still in the original format, we didn't do anything to them. I really don't have any clue what's going on here.

wallyworld

wallyworld

hmmm....frustrating. You'll see I'm pimping you bigtime on welcometowallyworld.com

I don't understand. I can upload the movie from the digital camera to the iMac. Put it on Desktop. Play it back O.K. But I can't upload it to you. On my desktop it's shown as a MPEG Quicktime clip.
I've taken the http code from your site and posted several of your (excellent) clips. No problem. But I cant get more than a few seconds out of mine. Seems like the problem lies my end eh?

I'll let you know if I can figure it out. Mal. That's my little boy, Charlie

wallyworld

wallyworld

jakob, success! I'm stoked. I wasn't waiting long enough for the clip to upload. Should there be a sign when it's finished? I don't get one. Now I'm away!

wallyworld

wallyworld

It's still taking forever to upload and I get no indication of when the upload has finished. I'm waiting like 10 minutes to upload a 45 sec clip. Can't be right.
I'm on a standrad iMac G5 with 512 whatsies of steam power. Do I need more oomph for video files??

bbouslaugh

bbouslaugh Plus

If you have a G5 mac, after you download your movie from your camera try importing your movie into imovie and then saving it to your desktop as a .mov (which will compress it to manageable size)
Then try uploading it to Vimeo.

Perhaps you are trying to upload a huge and uncompressed file right out of your camera and something is either timing out or you are using up your alloted 20megs of Vimeo space.

bill

wallyworld

wallyworld

bill, they are only 45 secs to a couple of minutes long. I've never used imovie. Just dragged the clip into it but it didn't load the audio. ??I'm such a dunce at this. But we're getting there. Thanks for your help. I dig this!

bbouslaugh

bbouslaugh Plus

Well, even a 45 second clip can produce a huge amount of raw data, especially so if you are shooting 640x480 videos.

If you have the time to do a little studying I think you will find imovie to be something that later on you will wonder how you ever managed without it.

If you want me to, I can try to walk you through it step by step..(I have imovie 4 so your newer version may be a little different) my email is:
bbouslaugh@yahoo.com

bill (in DC)

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.