Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Vimeo respects your videos and your right to decide who watches them. Vimeo stands for a higher level of quality — both in the site's content, and the platform itself. We pride ourselves on seeing the world a bit differently. Together, Vimeo and its users (you guys) have spent considerable time trying to construct a community around those values.

Some videos truly capture nature's beauty or the producer's creativity. Some videos should be viewed in their original high-quality format — in High Definition (HD).

And so, we are very pleased to announce that Vimeo is the first site to allow content creators to present their personal videos in native 720p (1280x720) resolution. Thanks to Canon and the Vimeo team, if you can shoot in HD, you can share in HD!

Supporting HD requires significant storage and bandwidth resources. Fortunately, Canon has graciously agreed to help subsidize the costs for the remainder of 2007.

We are also increasing the dimensions of non-HD videos from 460 to 506 pixels, and the bitrate from 400 kb/s to 500 kb/s (both of which will increase video playback quality).

We want everyone to be able to try HD. So, for the rest of the year, everyone's weekly upload quota will increase from 250 MB to 500 MB, which can be used for multiple videos, or just a big one — standard or high definition. The higher quota will probably require a subscription fee in 2008, but for now, it is free! No strings attached.

If you are curious about HD, consider reading the primer that Justin prepared:

vimeo.com/help/hd

We have also created an HD video showcase using our new Channels platform:

vimeo.com/hd

Enjoy. And, share some fantastically pristine videos with the Vimeo Community.

Ahmed E.

Ahmed E.

When will we see the upload quota increase to 500 MB?

Ahmed E.

Ahmed E.

Not for me. My quote through yesterday was 250 MB per week. Today it reset, but it is still only 250 per week.

VJ Spyros

VJ Spyros

Your move, with a little help of your Canon friends, signifies the future of online video sharing! Wish you the best and congrats for your efforts.
VJ_S,
A friend from Greece.

jonwadsworth

jonwadsworth

This may be a dumb question, or already answered elsewhere, but I'm assuming I'm not the only one getting some serious 'lag' when watching HD videos... I'm thinking it's mostly because of the download size, but even when I 'pause' the video to allow it to download, then hit 'play' after it's down, I'm still getting skipping & sync issues... Video card on my laptop, perhaps? Anyone else having similar issues?

itsyournature

itsyournature

HD on vimeo is killer. I'm going through old clips trying to find beautiful stuff to post.

hummer

hummer

Love HD. Thanks for the inovation.

ben52192

ben52192

How do I find out if a video on my computer is "1280x720 resolution or better"?

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

You check the properties of the video on your media player. Every player usually has such a dialog.

Jeff Dinges Films

Jeff Dinges Films Plus

how are these "HD" video clips streamed so fast when my 1280x720 video clips are normally several hundred megabits and that size would normally take several minutes to download??

Am I the only one who doesn't understand this? How are we getting full HD when a 500 meg file is streamed in under a minute??

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

these files are all converted to flash videos which are much smaller files.

Head Shot

Head Shot

I hope Canon's support is extended. Just ballsy to have that Canon watermark in the high def channel even if you're not using a Canon. For sure I am using Canon gears for the forseable future and their support here only confirms their commitment

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.