Dr. Tae

Dr. Tae

The HD FAQ says:

"Vimeo presents HD in the 720p format...at 24 frames per second."

Does Vimeo HD preserve the source frame rate or does it convert everything to 24fps?

I'm bringing this up because my 30fps clips look choppy in Vimeo HD.

Ian Lucero

Ian Lucero PRO

You should probably bring this up in the Bugs forum.

Dr. Tae

Dr. Tae

It's not really a bug if everything is 24fps, which is the way it sounds from the faq. But 24fps sucks if the source is 30fps!

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

We chose 24P for now because in our tests most computers can barely do 25fps. Flash is really bad at choosing which frames to drop, so video on average looks a lot smoother at 24fps than 30fps.

This might change as Flash improves over the next few months.

Dr. Tae

Dr. Tae

OK, thanks. But it would be nice to see that information emphasized in the faq, because many people are asking about choppy playback and the frame rate explains a lot.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

I think the choppy playback has more to do with the processor of people's systems than with the frame rate.

Dr. Tae

Dr. Tae

Let me clarify:

It's not emphasized in the FAQ that 24fps is the ONLY frame rate for Vimeo HD right now. Not everybody shoots HD in 24p. For example I'm uploading a lot of deinterlaced 60i which is at 30fps. That stuff is going to look choppy when converted to 24fps REGARDLESS of how fast the computer is.

Gyuri Grell

Gyuri Grell

So will it get the HD conversion if I uploaded 30p? How long does it usually take?

Here's my video: vimeo.com/345748

Jake™

Jake™ Plus

My coworkers and I are on high-end macs and the playback does look choppy. I uploaded a 30fps 1280x720 quicktime (h.264 codec). If I had known it was going to be choppy, I would have exported a 24fps version prior to uploading. But the choppiness looks more like 12 or 15 fps. Look at my profile to see the HD version I uploaded. Then compare it to a 24fps quicktime (h.264) version I uploaded to my own site: spinningblade.com/video/FX.html

Gyuri Grell

Gyuri Grell

In Windows XP, CPU usages for Quicktime playback from your site hovered around 15%, while playback of the Vimeo version was around 75-80%. This is on a 1.8GHz laptop. But the Quicktime version did look smoother; I could see a difference where the title is rotating around 0:10.

Jake™

Jake™ Plus

Nevermind...works fine on my Windows laptop. Maybe its a Mac thing?

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

Strange, your video looks great on a MacBook and MacPro for me...

filmbot

filmbot PRO

man everyehwere you go people seem to love using premade stock presets from andrew kramer
youtube is flooded with them .

IK

IK Plus

What happens with 25fps sourse when vimeo converts it ti 24fps? I mean, to make a pulldown from 30 to 24 is one thing, but there is no easy way to convert 25 to 24.. choppiness is unavoidable.
I think it should be possible for vimeo pull framerate to 25fps... It would be helpful for videos from PAL/25fps land.

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

In the near future, all SD clips will use the native resolution when converted. In the next few weeks HD will likely get the same treatment, although both will be capped at 30.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.