Tom Markz

Tom Markz Plus

The majority of people here that edit professionally and/or just for personal use (the amauture, intermediate, etc) what kind of computers are you using. I just bought a Canon HG10 and was advised to use Corel Video Studio 11 Plus and /or Pinnacle. Than I noticed that my system is to slow. I have a 1.8ghz processor 2 gig of ram and 256mb nvida graphics card. I'm sure anyone of you will say not enough power and i couldn;t disagree with you. So now that places me in a new situation. I have this sick camera (b/c when I connect it to my 60" Pioneer Plasma via HDMI I can't believe how far Camcorders came. The resolution is incredible for a "home-movie". So I want to be able to make the movies look somewhat professional but I need a machine that can perform. I've never had a MAC or worked on one. Are they any goog for these type of applications? Will I freeze up? B/c the other option is to get a new PC. I was thinking if the new Dell XPS720 it has a 3.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Quad Processor, 3 gigs of ram and 512mb nvidia graphic card. I would appreciate any input.
Thanks ,
T.M.

Matt Pringle

Matt Pringle

Hi Tommy, for what's it worth here's my experience.

Editing in HD requires a computer with pretty high specs. Until a year ago, i did all of my video work on a PC, using Abobe Premiere Pro as my main editing application. However, after running into various issues with driver conflicts I decided to take the plunge and purchase the fastest imac i could get at that time. I also bought Final Cut Studio which i have to say is an amazing package. It has been used for quite a few major films and is starting to make in-roads into territory that has been traditionally dominated by Avid.

Having moved from a Windows based system to Apple i have to say that i'll never go back to editing on a Windows machine unless there's a big improvement in stability.

For what you want to do, Final Cut Studio may be a bit of an overkill, but with every mac you get imovie which is a simple, but pretty good editing package. You can also get a cut down version of FInal Cut called Final Cut Express.

If you want to stay on a windows based machine, Adobe Premiere Elements is quite a good little package. Again, it's a cut down version of it's bigger brother, Premiere Pro.

Hope this helps somewhat.

david sadler

david sadler

I'm going to buy an HG10 soon. Ihave a GL2 at the moment but it seems this cam is outdated now.

I'm just a novice but I find working with windows movie maker that the is a big drop in resolution. Will I be able to get some decent images by going to what you recommend?

Matt Pringle

Matt Pringle

Even though windows movie maker is about as basic as it gets with regards to editing, i don't think you should suffer a drop in resolution. Do you mean when you export your video from movie maker the image quality is poorer? What format are you exporting the video as?

I've got two videos up on Vimeo at the moment that were filmed on the XM2 (GL2). Are you getting footage comparable to them? Click my name above to go to my profile if you want to see the vids.

I too use the GL2 (XM2 here in UK) and i'm looking to upgrade at some point this year. However, you'll notice a big difference in the amount of manual control you have over the GL2 compared to the HG10.

david sadler

david sadler

Can i add also a big drop in color besides sharpness.

Thanks.........

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.