Paul Davis

Paul Davis

I guess I could have posted this under the camera forum, but it seems more like an accesory (sp) question. Anyhoo, I bought a camcorder a few years ago and I like it ok. The problem is that I can't output with a mic (i.e. I'd need this if I were going to do an interview for a documentary).

Is there something relatively inexpensive I can purchase to use as a microphone? The only thing my camera has is a built in mic on the front. You know that all that's going to do is pull in all the ambient noise with an interview.

OR is there a good miniDV out there with a mic-out outlet that would be good to use?

Matt Pringle

Matt Pringle

You could buy a second hand minidisc player and plug a mic into that. My partner used one to record interviews for her dissertation and the sound quality was very good. Two things of note though:

1. Make sure that the minidisc can accept microphones as not all do.
2. Transferring the audio from the minidisc to pc isn't that straight forward. You would probably have to connect the line out of the minidisc to the line in on the pc and use audio software like Soundforge to capture the audio.

One last thing: you can get the Rode Video mic relatively cheaply and it's pretty good for the price. Also, as minidisc has been overtaken by mp3 players, you can find them cheaply on ebay.

Hope this helps a bit.

Paul Davis

Paul Davis

Awesome...thanks for the advice....I'll shop around!

Matt Pringle

Matt Pringle

No problems. Forgot to say that you will of course have to sync up the audio with the footage in the edit.

Paul Davis

Paul Davis

Yeh....I understand that. My friend and I used to have to sync up audio to Super 8 film footage. But that was such a loooooooooooong time ago.

Thanks for your help.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.