RonScuba

RonScuba Plus

Is it just me or are HD videos stopping, playing choppy or stuttering ?

Things seemed ok on Saturday, but noticed things changing on Monday.

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

No, probably you just watched some 30fps videos instead of the normal 24fps, and that requires some more CPU. Give us exact URLs of the videos that stutter for you.

RonScuba

RonScuba Plus

Maybe it's my internet connection, because right now it's not happening. I've seen it on my own HD vids as well as others, including yours Eugenia.

Taylor Doyle Gillespie

Taylor Doyle Gillespie

I have good days and bad days with my connection. I think the main issue with me is that I have a crap wireless router.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

EDIT: The new player no longer dynamically changes the video quality based on cpu usage. We are contemplating bringing that feature back, we just wanted to test it over the weekend to see what people think and if they have any problems.

DVCINLV

DVCINLV

Audio that used to be fine is now hickuping during play.

Watermoore Imagery

Watermoore Imagery

I too am experiencing Playback issues. I need to download file and utilize VLC player to even watch stuff, or turn off HD.
Im on a 2.8ghz Pentium D, 3 gigs of ram, Geforce 8800GTS running windows MCE I am doubting its a comp issue over a software issue.

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

Your 2.8 Ghz PD is not fast enough. I have a faster P4 at 3 Ghz than yours and it's barely enough for 720/24p.

Watermoore Imagery

Watermoore Imagery

more cores will make an exponential difference over 1 core at 200mhz faster, the only reason I am saying this, I was streaming movie trailers in 1080p from apple.com on my 2nd monitor at 30fps just the other day, so i find it hard to believe that all of the sudden my processor decided it was to slow for any HD footage available at Vimeo but not trailers from Apple.com

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

Justin, you don't understand the whole story. The apple.com trailers are 24p, not 30p. Also, these trailers are not full 1080p, because they are cut into cinematic widescreen (so they are more like 1920x900 instead). More over, these trailers are using simple profile CAVLC h.264 codec, which is easier to decode. Also, Quicktime is ABLE to take ADVANTAGE of DirectDraw, and accelerate its playback.

Flash has NONE of these abilities. It doesn't use acceleration and this is extremely processor heavy. I am telling you, at 2.8 Ghz PD, your PC is not fast enough for 720/24p Flash. My PC, which is faster than yours, it BARELY makes it through.

Just because Quicktime makes it through, and Windows Media with WMV flies in 1080p (because Microsoft engineers sat their asses down to optimize), doesn't mean that the Adobe engineers did so too.

Watermoore Imagery

Watermoore Imagery

I am not trying to come off cross I just cant understand how I was running vimeo full screen fine last week, and now I cant even watch hd at all without playback issues? windows or fullscreen scaling on or off

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

The only thing that changed since last week was the NEW swf Flash application that playsback the video. I had some hiccups with it too, it doesn't seem to be as fluid as the previous player, but it doesn't seem to be THAT bad. I can only suggest you re-install Flash, the latest version.

Watermoore Imagery

Watermoore Imagery

well that apparently was the problem, thanks Eugenia. I installed the current player a few days ago but I just did a sloppy install, right over the current version. This time I uninstalled everything first, then reinstalled the most current flash player, my vimeo playback is back to 100% although now my TV tuner sofware wont run, Not a big problem I have other software that I can utilize.

About adobe not optimizing there software, I can relate to that. When I had installed the video production premium, Encore would not accept .M2T files! after effects was unhappy with my video card. I was getting BSOD. I had so many problems it was ridiculous. The only solution was to finish my project then wipe my C:\ and start fresh according to Adobe Support, which sadly was what I had to do.

DVCINLV

DVCINLV

"The new player no longer dynamically changes framerate based on cpu usage."

Are you saying behind our backs, the player has been altering frames rates? This in addition to dropping frames from our 25p and 30p video.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

First off, no one is doing anything behind your back. We are a VERY transparent company and we answer and address all matters truthfully.

I was wrong about the frame rate adjusting, its actually just the video quality that dynamically changes.

I encourage you to take a deep breath, enjoy the tools here, and perhaps engage with the people and staff in a more positive and productive manner. I think you might find Vimeo to be a fun and inspirational place, and not a dark syndicate of conspiracy as your comments suggest.

RonScuba

RonScuba Plus

I think this is more than just re-installing flash as it doesn't always happen. I'm thinking something to do with bandwidth/internet speeds. Either on Vimeo's end, our end, or both.

Ivan Lietaert

Ivan Lietaert Plus

Many people have had playback issues in HD. In my case - use a 4 year old low spec acer laptop, I used to have horrible framerates, about 1 fps with HD on. I've been bothered by this for a long while, especially because I used to be able to watch HD just fine. The Vimeo staff are aware of my problem, but they couldn't help me either.

But now I have found a solution for the problem all by myself! It is actually quite simple. Here are the steps I took:
1) Download the official Adobe Flash Removal tool here: kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157
2) Cloze down ALL your browser windows.
3) Run the removal tool
4) Reboot the computer
5) Go to Vimeo, and from there, reinstall the Flash Player.
6) Reboot again.
7) Enjoy watching Vimeo in HD in great framerate.

Ivan Lietaert

Ivan Lietaert Plus

update: I get fluent video mostly for 1.40 minutes, and then it gets choppy again. If I then pause the video, go to Windows Video properties, change the resolution and put it right back, and only then click on ok, the choppyness is gone when I return to vimeo.
So I guess it is a combination of faulty flash programming, and bad video drivers. My portable pc is acer brand, and I'm running the latest driver, but I guess it sucks big time!

RonScuba

RonScuba Plus

I'd like to commend Vimeo for their efforts and services. We users are basically getting to host and share our videos for free. Can't really complain about that.

While flash seems like the best way to easily deliver our videos to the masses, it does have it's quirks. I guess if we want viewers to see our work at it's best, we can direct them to download and play the original file.

Ivan Lietaert

Ivan Lietaert Plus

RonScuba, nothing is really free. Vimeo is targetting towards a paying premium account and the early adaptors are really more like guinea pigs testing for bugs. I've wasted hours trying to find out what was wrong with my computer, only to find out far too late that Vimeo had changed its encoding process. Should I be grateful for that? NOOOO!

RonScuba

RonScuba Plus

That's one way to look at it. There is obvious some mutal benefit, but we haven't payed anything, so I consider it free. We always have the choice of deleting our vids from Vimeo and using another site.

Hard to Find a Friend

Hard to Find a Friend

er - i'm having this issue with every video i watch. every one. it's really weird. Never had the issue before the new player :( cleared every cache, reinstalled flash, reinstalled firefox, checked the source files, yadda yadda yadda.

i miss the old player.

Ivan Lietaert

Ivan Lietaert Plus

use adobe's offical flash player removal tool to uninstall old flash, and then reinstall flash

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.