Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis

Man this pisses me off, someone ripped my video off the site (I do not allow downloads) and posted it on ebaumsworld (the toilet of the internet). I'm guessing the person wasn't smart enough to strip my name from the end. Grrr.....

Mine:
vimeo.com/979938

Jerk's:
ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/392795/

I e-mailed the site asking them to remove it. Anything else I should do?

Stew

Stew

Man that sucks, its somthing that I have been wondering about. I am going to be careful about what I post from now on, don't want any of my material swiped.
Hope you get this all figured out.

Underground Planet

Underground Planet Plus

That would piss me off. At first glance I thought it was just embedded then I noticed that they actually posted it with their friggin logo! Wow, sorry man, that does suck. Please post if you find resolve. I did enjoy your post over there though.

Did you have it available for download before you noticed it was ripped off?

- Ray

P.S. I was going to add a comment but wasn't a member so I hit "Flag as inappropriate" and it changed to "Media already suspended", but apparently its not suspended cuz it's still there and it still plays.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

looks like they pulled the video down.

Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis

I just noticed as well that it's gone. I emailed the site and I left a nasty comment on the video for the thief. It was never available for download, their rip was really crappy quality.

Underground Planet

Underground Planet Plus

Glad it's down Andrew, still really galling, especially considering you didn't have download available. Amazing that they went to those lengths.

BTW, how did you find out?

- Ray

Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis

The video got picked up by several blogs, I was searching for it on google and that one popped up.

Hook Recordings

Hook Recordings

Hi andrew,

can I ask you why it bothered you so much. If your a commercial film maker then of course I understand but if your not I'm not sure I get it. Lets say the people that used your video had asked for permission and given due credit would you have allowed them to use it?

Ralph Lindsen

Ralph Lindsen

But that's totally not the case. His vid just got ripped from vimeo. And he probably post his vids on vimeo because of the great quality (among other reasons i'm sure), and the version on ebaum is crappy.

Also, according to Andrew, ebaum in general is pretty crappy too (toilet of the internet)

And if people actually wanted to give due credit, why not just embed it? Instead they ripped it, put their logo on it, and pretended the video is theirs.

And personally, i would like to keep track of my vids, how many views, who refers to it, comments, stuff like that. Stuff you won't know if your video is ripped from the place you posted it.

Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis

Hook, it bothered me because I didn't give permission. I can see why the person stole it, the ebaumsworld "system" is based on points you get for uploading videos that become popular, so this person was just looking for a popular video to steal, I'm assuming. They left the video whole in the sense that my name was still at the end, the watermark of ebaumsworld gets added automatically to everything that gets uploaded there.

If they asked for permission and gave me credit I would probably still say no just because they were using an inferior quality (stolen) version. I don't mind all of the blogs the video has been embedded on (36 according to technorati) because they all link back here.

What bothers me is having something that I invested my time and energy creating taken by someone and passed off as their own work.

Hook Recordings

Hook Recordings

Ralph, what part of my post is totally not the case? I don't follow what your saying there. Keep in mind I never saw the video posted on the other site or in what context it was posted. For all I knew they used a snippet of the video

I wasnt aware they simply took the video and stuck their own logo on it which of course is out out of order.

But my question remains. If they asked permission to use the video and gave due credit would he have given permission (Like a non exclusive licence). By credit I mean filmed and edited by the original maker, or if its an edit the usual credit would apply.

Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis

In a way they did give me credit by leaving my name at the end of the video. The part about not asking permission was the last straw for me in this case.

Patriot

Patriot PRO

I agree with you Andrew. I'd be up in fumes too.

Just a note, you've probably been embedded on aolvideo...and other search sites... someone else complained about that recently.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.