PAPApinball

PAPApinball Plus

I film specialized content that requires me to do so vertically, and it hasn't been a problem ever on this site. All of the videos I have uploaded are typically 1080x1920. Vimeo compresses these (or has done so for two years and 300+ videos) to standard definition of 640x1136. This level of compression has proven to be acceptable.

When I uploaded my most recent video a few days ago, the standard resolution was reduced significantly to 202x360. This is obviously way too low of a resolution to be useful for anything. Is there any way I can have my uploads of 1080x1920 compress at the previous resolution of 640x1136? I have changed nothing on my end from one video to the next.

The only thing I've managed to do is re-upload the file at 1280x2276, which tricks the compression into giving it HD, but even the HD then is only 606x1080, which is watchable but still worse than the old standard definition compression resolution.

Link: vimeo.com/49457833

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hello, unfortunately, your work around of using a resolution of 1280x2276 is your best bet for achieving optimal quality.

PAPApinball

PAPApinball Plus

Seriously? So that's it? Two years of uploading the same product with no problems, and you guys decide to change the quality on me after I've already paid for another year?

Can't you at least feign that you care and give me a reason why you decided to bait and switch?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry, I should have addressed your entire post. Can you link me to where your video was resized to 202x360? I took a look at your most recent upload, which I suspect you were referring to (vimeo.com/49303361) and it has a resolution of 640x1136. That said, upscaling your video to 1280x2276 so that we can encode it to HD will ensure better quality than your SD 1080x1920 version.

PAPApinball

PAPApinball Plus

The video you linked to was uploaded before you guys decided to start cutting quality. Check this one out at vimeo.com/49457833

Standard definition is an abysmal 202x360 on that one, and it's the same unacceptable, ridiculously low resolution on every new video I upload now.

Every video I've uploaded over the last two years came in at 640x1136. If the quality of my videos is now reduced to 202x360, vimeo becomes completely useless to me.

Even the trick I mentioned before of uploading new videos at 1280x2276 produces worse results than the old standard definition.

I don't even need HD. I just need you to compress my videos (if you must) at the same rate you've been compressing them at for the past 300 videos (640x1136).

What can you do to help me?

ABCCC

ABCCC Plus

My last videos are not looking ok anymore. Because they became smaller than the original size 720 x 480.

They are in Vimeo 640 x 480 and I Uploaded in 720 x 480 as I use to upload everyday and i've never had before.

My last videos looks SQUIZED.

Let now what to do a.s.a.p. Thanks ABCCC

Mark

Mark Staff

In HD, your video is 606x1080 - naturally it's going to be smaller than that when played back in SD - this is normal.

PAPApinball

PAPApinball Plus

Something significant has changed in the way Vimeo processes the videos uploaded. We have not changed our process, but the quality of both the SD and HD versions of our videos have decreased dramatically.

The first video in our account, vimeo.com/14449080, was uploaded at 540x960, and the SD file is 536x960. That's great.

We improved the resolution of our submissions to 1080x1920 (see vimeo.com/31551157) and the SD version of that file is 640x1136. That's great, too.

But now, those same submissions at 1080x1920 (see vimeo.com/50068714) are being converted to SD versions that are 202x360, and even when we try to build an HD version of the same video (see vimeo.com/49457833), it comes up as 606x1080, worse than the old SD versions.

The decreased quality of the SD videos is particularly apparent. It makes them unwatchable. We don't understand how the "HD version" of our videos is now of lower quality than the "SD version" from two years ago.

PAPApinball

PAPApinball Plus

When the 1080x1920 submissions converted to the very poor resolution, the video was resubmitted (after local editing to change the resolution on our end) to resubmit at 1280x2276 (vimeo.com/49457833). This got the Vimeo converter to create both an SD and HD version of the video, with the SD at the 202x360 and the "HD" at 606x1080. Neither of these resolutions is as good as we were getting just two weeks ago (vimeo.com/49303361), when our 1080x1920 submissions were converted to an SD resolution of 640x1136.

We now have to take extra time to upscale our video to 1280x2276, and then the end result is an "HD" version that has lower resolution than previous SD conversions. We haven't changed, so we don't understand why things are so different. Thanks.

Dragon Inside

Dragon Inside PRO

Additionally, the 1280x2276 trick does not work for embedding videos at a lower screen res. Serving 202px in 2012 makes no sense.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Thanks. I'm going to run some tests and look into this.

PAPApinball

PAPApinball Plus

Thanks and please let us know what happens. We're eager to get back to where we once belonged!

PAPApinball

PAPApinball Plus

Any more progress on this? We haven't been able to upload well to Vimeo in almost a month now.

PAPApinball

PAPApinball Plus

Any more progress on this? It's been five weeks now where we have not been able to use Vimeo in the ways that used to work fine.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry for the delay. Our developers are still working on this one.

Sort Film

Sort Film Plus

Hey guys, any news?
Trying to upload vertical videos that are going to show on our page using a maximum width of 580px.
However, the quality is horrendous and trying to find a workaround as we are launching our site on Monday. Some examples here, using your guidelines;
I feel sick. What is going on?
Obviously I cannot upload using your so called workaround, as I do not have any files with the min. of 1280px. I used your guidelines for encoding, and would really like to know how to get around this. ASAP.

Link: vimeo.com/52156736

Sort Film

Sort Film Plus

I am actually freaking out to be honest.
Is there nothing that can be done?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, unfortunately I can't recommend a workaround. But rest assured, we're working on this and hope to have it sorted soon.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.