Mark

Mark Staff

Hey everyone! As you're probably aware, we released a really, really sweet new version of our iPhone app today! You can read the full blog post here vimeo.com/blog/post:535 - Isn't that neat?

With new versions of things comes new questions, concerns, bugs, etc - so this is a thread for you guys to sound off and let us know what's on your mind!

Redeem the Commute

Redeem the Commute PRO

I'm so disappointed that I updated and lost so much functionality without being warned. I need to use "Add To" every day to add videos to albums. Loved being able to do that on my phone, but now I can't see channels, albums or groups at all. If that is the new state of affairs, I wish I'd never updated. When will you add that functionality back in? I can't be the only one.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, we approached the new version of the iPhone app as a fresh start with simplicity and ease of use in mind. With a firm and stable base to build off of, we'll be looking at what does and doesn't make sense within the app, and will make updates accordingly.

BossMaen

BossMaen

Well, seems to me you guys managed to make no sense at all with this new app. A utter fail on iPad 3. Had to switch to an app I had to buy. At least that one has some useful functionality.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

The iPad app went mostly unchanged, as we dedicated our limited resources on the iPhone app. We'll be focusing more on the iPad app soon.

Redeem the Commute

Redeem the Commute PRO

Please don't, until you are able to produce an app with the same features we already had, and more! This is like Apple's maps fail!

BossMaen

BossMaen

That is good news. Sadly though my iPad app got updated with the iPhone app apparently and left no way whatsoever to restore my previous iPad version.

t o l g a

t o l g a Plus

Yes very sweet, but that's it...
Thank you for a new app that NOBODY needed!
Where are the stats and preferences? So many other options?

YOU promised to work on the statistics for the update
and now it's completely gone??? That's how you work on it?

Vimeo the new youtube, that's right!

Ahhh, you ruined my day! Thanks again

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, we approached the new version of the iPhone app as a fresh start with simplicity and ease of use in mind. With a firm and stable base to build off of, we'll be looking at what does and doesn't make sense within the app, and will make updates accordingly.

CLARECOMM

CLARECOMM Plus

Waited and waited for months for Vimeo to make the app stats problem go away.
Well, no-one can say you haven't done that.
I trust it's a tactical retreat, though.

jerel

jerel

How can I remove the Vimeo Staff Picks from my iphone feed? I really just want to see the channels that I follow. Nothing against these videos, but I don't want my feed to be cluttered.

jerel

jerel

Excellent Tommy, thanks.

Vitchub

Vitchub

Hi guys! I reckon this fresh start will mean dealing with lots of (angry) users requests. Here are mine:
-Bring back the stats
-Show My Videos and Likes in CHRONOLOGICAL order, from NEW to OLD, and not in this strange random order. THIS IS URGENT TO FIX
-Editing the description of a video is a true nightmare, try it yourselves!
-All of My Videos show a legend that reads (null) under the title, ??
-Why use a different logic/UI than the one on your website? It seems as if the app belongs to a different company

Work hard guys, you are almost there! (By there I mean pleasing the users)

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the constructive feedback! As pointed out above, Stats were broken and we removed it to help streamline and simplify the app, but with the stable codebase we're on now we'll see if we can add it back in. Most Stats functionality can be retrieved through your device's browser by going to vimeo.com/stats.

'Likes' showing up in reverse chronological/messed up order is a bug. We're working on a fix now.

Can you be more specific about trouble editing a video description? Through testing we've had no issue on our end.

Also, can you take a screenshot of your 'My Videos' and post it here? You can use ge.tt to host the image and link back to it.

Finally, I'm not sure I follow along with your comment on logic/UI differences, more detail would be great!

Vitchub

Vitchub

Thanks for your reply Tommy!
I understand (kind of) that now you want to streamline and simplify the app, but I don't see the point then of having an app on my iPone that does not allow me to perform basic tasks as checking my stats. Suggesting users to check stats using the phone browser is I believe accepting the app's limitations.
Is the chronological/messed bug also on 'My Videos'? If you have not detected it yet, it is there!
I tried to use ge.tt to upload screenshots but apparently the app does not allow to do so, only from a desktop ?? So I will try to explain what is going on when I try to edit the video description: The text appears incomplete, a bit more than halfway through and the last line missing the lower part. So I can´t go any further and edit past that. I don't feel confident to edit that way.

Vitchub

Vitchub

And about the logic for the User Interfase (UI) what I mean is that if I use Vimeo on a desktop and then the iPhone app, they are two totally different experiences, not only the obvious one derived from using a computer and a smartphone, but in terms of coherence between two interfases within a single service. Starting from scratch does not necessarily mean presenting a divorced version of a desktop metaphor. I hope this is clear enough to get my point.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Ah, I understand now. The description editing is also a bug we have a fix for, we'll be rolling a bunch of bug fixes together in an update that should be out in the coming weeks.

I'll be sure to pass your design criticisms to our mobile designer, she'll appreciate it. The design is also an attempt to simplify even further what's available on the site. For what it's worth, we have some design overhauls coming for the mobile site in the future that will closer match the desktop site.

James Newton

James Newton

A much needed update and a great job guys. One key thing still missing and that's being able to view your followers.

Also the feed is pretty jerky.

Thanks

James Newton
iamjamesnewton.com

JetForMe

JetForMe PRO

Video playback for me is nearly unusable. Videos never load properly. They start to load, then seem to throw out all load progress and start over randomly. The start position is random (the play head jumps ahead some fraction). Pausing to let the video load sometimes lets it load almost completely, but never 100%. Eventually it might actually play. Moving the playhead is a recipe for discarding all buffered content. Playback often stalls or never starts. Seems to be the case with all videos. iPhone 5, latest iOS.

JetForMe

JetForMe PRO

Oh, wifi with decent Internet, or 4G, makes no difference. I've tried rebooting phone.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

What cellular carrier are you on? Also, is this happening with any specific videos on the site, or just all videos in general?

JetForMe

JetForMe PRO

AT&T 4G on Kauai, but also wifi with fast roadrunner cable. All videos I've tried, mine and others'.

Philip Barrington

Philip Barrington Plus

So disappointed that the ability to download my uploaded videos to my iPhone was removed.. :/ I probably used that feature the most. Please add that back! It's the best way to put videos on the iPhone.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

After stats, the ability to download your own clips is one of the next most missed features. We had to remove it to help simplify and speed up the app, but I've already let our developers know that it's something users want!

Brendan Coyle

Brendan Coyle

I came to second this, really miss being able to download my videos. This was the single greatest way for me to get my videos onto my iDevices. Looking forward to the update! cheers

Alan Howard

Alan Howard PRO

Absolutely back that up and agree I want to be able to download to my iphone so when I meet clients in a no wifi or rubbish wifi area I can show them something sensible.... I have to agree with most comments streamlining seems to means taking everything useful out!
Could you tell us when the download option will be put back in ! This along with ongoing major audio sync problems have really knocked my confidence in recommending (or even using) Vimeo .... sorry guys but you've really gone downhill ....

JON ZOMBIE

JON ZOMBIE Plus

I AGREE 100%... Honestly Im very saddned that this feature has been taken away. It was EXTREMELY crucial to me when I met clients. Please Vimeo, please bring this feature back. Its honestly not fair. Vimeo has been giving me more and more trouble lately, unfortunately. Although I'll still support and pay my yearly membership, it just sucks to see the wrong decisions being made. --- PS / Diffrent topic: I upload my full res 1080p video files straight from FCP export to YouTube, and it looks amazing in 1080p. Why is it that here on Vimeo not only does the quality go down but I get stuck with horrible Audio Lagging? Sucks. Anyways, please return the Download option. YES, IT'S THAT IMPORTANT. THANK YOU. Happy New Years everyone.

Alan Howard

Alan Howard PRO

iPhone download work around!!! It's laborious but it's worked for me.... Go to your video and download the file as a mob MP4 version and save to desktop .... send yourself an email with the video as an attachment ... open it in the native iPhone email app (NOT GMail as I'd been doing) the attachment appears in a rectangular box at the bottom of the email with a "Q" logo on the left and video details to the right .... press and hold down on that bar and after a couple of seconds the option to "save video" comes up ... click that and the video is added to your camera roll ....
VIMEO PLEASE PUT THIS FEATURE BACK INTO THE MOBILE APP!!! 90% of online video is probably 1st seen on an iPhone and thats the most realistic way to show clients how flexible and accessible web video is !!!! (especially when there's a bad signal or no WiFi) and getting iot onto your phone via iTunes isa nightmare!

Adn Memb

Adn Memb

Hi there.
First of all, why do i watch video on Vimeo? For the quality of course. Therefore, what's my preferred screen to watch them? My iphone... or my leet LED screen i bought for my birthday 2 years ago? Yeah, you guessed right.

So what was i using the iOS app for? Certainly not for watching videos, since we've established i do that in the best possible conditions on my beautiful screen (i really do love it yeah).

Let's keep going, but i'm pretty sure you already know where i'm heading.

Since i don't watch videos on the app, what's the use of this new version for me? Hmmm, i can't think of one either.

Keep going... What's been deleted from the app? Oh that's right, the ability to quickly edit and upload videos taken from the device itself.

As i've said, the app is just useless to me now. I could just delete it, and i'm confident that's the last thing a brand wants regarding a new product, that its customers just reject it strongly.

Adn Memb

Adn Memb

To be honest i'm surprised i haven't seen a survey or something about what functionnality i'd want in a new app built from scratch.

If you click on my name you'll see i'm not much of a videomaker but i did enjoy once in a while having fun with some projects.

Oh and yeah, stats were cool.

Thumb up for the quick answer from @vimeostaff after my rant on twitter. It engaged me, and here i am keeping on.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks for the insight, Adn. We really wanted to make Vimeo as friendly as possible for anyone watching videos while on mobile. Removing the editor really helped to speed up the app and make it more streamlined. Creator tools like the editor may return in the future, but for now we wanted to get the watching and sharing aspects nailed down first.

JetForMe

JetForMe PRO

Rebooting my phone causes the Vimeo app to log me out. Simply killing the app from the list of running apps does not. I've verified this twice. Few things irk me more than having to type in login credentials manually, especially on a phone.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

That's odd, Unfortunately we couldn't duplicate this on our end using multiple devices. Rebooting the phone or killing the app process shouldn't affect your log in state at all.

Can you log out, delete the app, and install it again? Let us know if that changes anything.

JetForMe

JetForMe PRO

I was already logged out from the last time I reproduced the problem. I deleted the app and re-downloaded it. I logged in. Video playback issues persist. I power cycled the phone and re-launched the app. Again I was logged out.

I'm a professional iOS developer myself (and a pretty experienced one at that), and I can't imagine what would cause that, either. Do you store the login credentials in the keychain, or do you store a login token in prefs, or some combination?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I ran this past the rest of our mobile team and we're not sure at all why this is happening to you. Do you have any developer modifications made to your phone, or have it jailbroken?

JetForMe

JetForMe PRO

Not jailbroken. It has been used with Xcode ("Use for development"), but it has never had a beta iOS on it (currently has 6.0.1).

By the way, the "reply to this comment" link in the email notification ends up redirecting to the general discussion, and does not open a reply box to your comment.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

In the words of one of the mobile devs, "mind = blown". We've taken note and will continue to look into it on our end.

Hotti

Hotti

Fullscreen works only on first video of your session. Watch a whatever video -> pick up another video -> try to watch it fullscreen -> not working. iPad retina.

pbl

pbl

Yeah, all the right side of the screen doesn't respond to touch. You can't fullscreen, send to airplay, or browse videos in that area.
Please, guys, fix this soon.
Major issue.
Tks

rick

rick Plus

My videos work on iMac, windows desktops, iphones new iOS, but not iPad 3 retina. Can I have an update on what Vimeo is doing about this and when will be working?

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Rick, can you please describe in detail the issue you are experiencing with iPad 3 Retina? Thanks!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Rick, this bug was fixed with the 3.0.1 bug release, make sure you update to it here: http://j.mp/vimeoios

Leeloo

Leeloo

What happened to the private settings, where you could add a password?
Now you can only set it to private without password.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We decided to simplify the privacy options in the iPhone app to fully Public or fully Private. To control the privacy more granularly, you'll need to use the site. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Quentin Vien

Quentin Vien Plus

Hello,
I posted this on the staff blog and only discovered this now, so here are some feedbacks.

Over all the app does look simpler and is easy to use. I'm sure the few bugs mentioned will be fixed fast.

Where I'm very worried is that it seems that the Philosophy of the App changed dramatically, FROM we're a website for guys that love "video" as an art TO we would like to be the instagram of the video.

I have a Plus Account not just for the storage of my videos (I can store them on dropbox) but for the features that goes with them.

If you want to go for the instagram/youtube thing, fine, but then give us a PRO app.

The way I used the app before was mainly professional and I no longer can.

What I'm missing is:

- Proper Edit option for the videos. (privacy, tags etc)
- Proper Upload options. (At least a private option!!)
- Download button / Offline features. (I use to use vimeo to easily show my work anywhere by downloading my work before the presentations)

Quentin Vien

Quentin Vien Plus

- Statistics (I'm not sure why the play count and Heart count are in another tab but anyway...)

Now regarding the sharing and discovering i would add the following options:
- Filters in my feed (i.e. friends likes etc)
- Add user to contact (Follow)
- See Users you're following / users following you
- See other User videos
- Offline watch later (as an option)

I'm sure re-designing an app is not an easy thing, but I really hope that this doesn't mean that you're also changing vimeo's aim.

At the moment the dropbox app is better then the vimeo app for my professional use, and that's quite sad... And I'm not sure I want to pay the 60$ a year anymore...

Cheers

Q

ps: I also think, since we pay for some of the service, that an email asking us what we use the app for, is a minimum. But then again I might have been in England for too long and I'm now easily offended by rudeness...

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Quentin, thank you for your feedback, this is really quite valuable!

Out of curiosity, when you mention the "Philosophy of the app" what about the app (or even our blog post or any other information) makes it feel like we want to be the "Instagram of video"?

With regards to the missing features you mention, trimming these from the app was part of making it simpler (in both the UI and in the codebase). Now that we have a clean and stable base to build off of, we'll begin thinking about how to properly add these features back in, and in a way that is intuitive for the user.

Quentin Vien

Quentin Vien Plus

The aim of the app is to share video, obvious with big share button.
Yes vimeo is about sharing, but its also about sharing quality content, not unedited videos filmed on a phone.
Regarding the "instagram of video" see the attached link.
The only difference is the "activity" tab, that is actually missing A LOT in your app.
You're using a photo app UI to display a videos!
There is no landscape mode, so you have to rotate your phone after every video (viewed or filmed) There is no couch mode, no offline.You could have Innovated, and you didn't... I'm not even talking about the fact that you actually stole the design...
And regarding the commercial, this is like saying to user, sorry guy, we're no longer creative here, we're about sharing personal stuff now! Who cares about the first steps of a kid but the family? Shot on a phone, not edited? isn't that going toward youtube and facebook rather than vimeo hand picked awesome short films?

Link: concert-lyrique.com/images/comparaison.jpg

Quentin Vien

Quentin Vien Plus

A kid sharing his first stop motion film made with his phone or even finishing the commercial by showing that its been shot on a phone and then uploaded on vimeo would have been in the vimeo spirit. A banker receiving a video of his kid first steps is what apple used to sell us FaceTime...
Don't gimme wrong the commercial it self (look and direction) is quite good. It's what you're telling us that scares me...
As I'm sure the app took a lot of work and will improve over time.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We really appreciate the constructive criticism, Quentin. I forwarded your concerns to the rest of the mobile team and we'll take it into consideration for the future. We have big plans in the future within the mobile space and starting over with this app is just the tip of the iceberg!

Quentin Vien

Quentin Vien Plus

I'm sure it is and I always liked what Vimeo has come up with.
I just thought it would be important to speak now (that it's only the tip of the iceberg) rather than later (when we can't do anything about the rest of the iceberg)

I can't wait to see where you go from here. I know having a solid base is the only way up. And in app and programming that means starting from scratch.

Good luck for the next steps.

Dmitri Kotsar

Dmitri Kotsar

When I pause video after playing and try to resume - video starts play at the beggining. When I try to rewind video - video starts play at the beggining. These bugs stayed from previous version!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Dmitry, is this happening with any specific video, or is it consistent with all videos on the site?

Dmitri Kotsar

Dmitri Kotsar

Thanks, Zena and Tommy.

It happens with all videos on the site wich I try to watch. (Sorry for my bad english).

Steph Zenee Perez

Steph Zenee Perez Plus

I'm an very upset with the new app update. I have some videos set as private and when I edited the video description they were taken out from being private videos. So I had to log onto a computer ASAP just to place the videos back on private. This app update is very disappointing and I wish I could back to the older version. Also nice feature would be to edit the video settings (such as the privacy) not just the title and description.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Steph, the privacy of a video can be changed by going to a video and then editing the description -- a button to change your video between Public and Private will show up with the keyboard:

Link: cl.ly/image/2z3j1e3g2F3u

Steph Zenee Perez

Steph Zenee Perez Plus

Thank you for the response Tommy. I didn't even notice that option was there. I have tried the option a couple times and I am still having problems on the app. Everything I try to click on the "private" setting I get kicked out of the app. I've tried re-starting my iPhone and completely closing out of the app but it does not fail to kick me out every time so the option is as good as useless. Thank you!

DW Studio

DW Studio Plus

I have the same issue iphone 4 with vimeo app v3. I try to set privacy setting on the keyboard and it kicks me out of the app! Also annoying that if your video is set private, everytime you edit the description it defaults to public again. Surely it would make sense for the privacy setting to remain unless a user changes it vimeo?

And of course - please bring back the 'Add to' function for assigning videos to albums!

chandra

chandra

One thing that I need back on this app is the ability to clear the cache. When trying to upload videos now, the data from the app takes up so much space on my iphone, that it crashes or eats up all my gigabytes. why did you take away the stuff that was working in the first place??? I now wish I had never updated to this newer version, the old one was working fine for my needs, and now I have no way to clear cache from vimeo, except to delete the entire app.... which solves my problems how????? do something to fix this! I can't believe this.

chandra

chandra

I have a 32gb 4S. But I use video on my phone a lot for projects so in order to load editing apps or even Vimeo uses up bytes I need. Clearing the cache on the old version helped A LOT with that.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

How much space is being taken up by the app? Take a look in Settings > General > Usage, and look for Vimeo once the Storage section has loaded.

chandra

chandra

Well I deleted the app, but when I did those steps to check my usage it was using up about 6gb. Once I deleted the app, I got the 6 back. I don't want to have to delete the app every time to free up space.

chandra

chandra

Yes. When I tried to upload a clip, while rendering it crashed. Opened the app again attempted the same steps again, and it crashed again. I attempted one last time for it to tell me then that my storage was full. At that point I checked my usage and it showed the app using up the most space on my phone.

chandra

chandra

It was approximately 25min.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

For very long clips like that, I'd highly recommend syncing the video from your iPhone to your computer, and then uploading from your computer instead.

With regards to incomplete renders taking up space and not clearing out, we'll have a fix for that in the future.

chandra

chandra

I understand that. But normally it worked fine without having to do all that since I am away from a computer. I wish that you had warned that the new app would be short a few things from the last version. Then I wouldn't have updated until they were implemented. Now I'm left waiting for that to happen and slowing down my process of videos that I need to put up. No way to Bering back the old version temporarily? It seems like the app is going backwards instead of forward.

Ethan Mora

Ethan Mora

One vote here for continuing support and development of the video editor. A quick view of my uploaded videos will show that most are shot, edited and uploaded via my Iphone during travels. Without that functionality, I would never use the app. If I keep the old version of the app I retain this function correct?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Yes, if you don't update then you'll retain the editor. However, any version of the app prior to 3.0 is unsupported, and many features (if they're not already broken) may not work or function from here on out.

Marie L

Marie L

My video library doesnt load when I attempt to upload a video. Iphone4 5.1

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Were the videos shot and recorded using your iPhone, or imported from another camera/device?

Adam Lim

Adam Lim Plus

Please ADD the download feature back. It was the best way to show my friends and colleagues my videos versus me streaming onto my phone...as there have been times when the buffering would take awhile, and sometimes not even work. Please :)

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Haha, we're looking on adding this feature down the road. We should be having more frequent updates to the app from here on out as well, so keep an eye out for changes!

Joan Icky

Joan Icky

When will the download featured be added to the app?

Troy Caddy

Troy Caddy

Hi I am a teacher and technology integrationist who utilizes the app on the iPad with 500 students. Up until the new update we were able to simply share the web link quickly and easily after uploading videos. Right now I can no longer locate the share option on the iPad app...has this option been taken away? If so is it ever going to come back or do we need to move to a different program. This was the best way for students to turn in videos and now it is no longer there???? Frustrated!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hey Troy, sorry about that. We removed the Share functionality in the iPad app so we could improve it and make sure it worked right for a future update. The removal is temporary, and we hope to have some sort of limited Share functionality back in the next update. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Troy Caddy

Troy Caddy

Thanks for the quick response....Still disappointed in losing that function, That was the primary reason why we used Vimeo at our school district. Now we will have to use a different application to share videos.

After reviewing the forums it appears that it would have been wise to make your changes on beta versions with numerous beta testers before you push updates that take away features that are utilized by your customers. I was looking into purchasing a membership for our school district to take advantage of advanced features that come with membership but now I am glad I haven't done that. Good luck to you and your company in the future.

By the way, as a user on a mass scale (200-300 students) of the share function on the iPad app...We had no problems with how it worked.

Troy Caddy

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

How exactly were you using the Share function on the site? Have you tried Sharing using the site in Safari?

Troy Caddy

Troy Caddy

Students create videos on their iPad using various applications...explain everything > Imovie.. then upload their videos from photo roll to vimeo using the application on the iPad. Then students share their video to their teacher by emailing the link to the video....Since students have used the app in the past without problems I haven't tried using the webpage to upload and share videos off of the iPad....Will it work...

Thank you for continuing the conversation. I appreciate it!

Troy

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Really cool way of using Vimeo in the classroom! So essentially what you need from the app is a way for students to send you the URL to their videos. We'll add that back into the app soon (copy URL, email link, etc).

What you can have your students do for now is log into Vimeo.com in Safari, and email you the link from there; if you have iOS 6 installed, it's built in. Take a look at this screenshot:

Link: cl.ly/image/3E3U192X1M0W

Troy Caddy

Troy Caddy

Thank you !!! This will work for now and we look forward to the update!!

Mike Geyer

Mike Geyer

I really can't understand why you removed the editing feature. Just doesn't make any sense to tell me to go buy another app. Your v.2 worked just fine.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Mike, we approached the new version of the iPhone app as a fresh start with simplicity and ease of use in mind. With a firm and stable base to build off of, we'll be looking at what does and doesn't make sense within the app, and will make updates accordingly.

Mike Geyer

Mike Geyer

Yeah, I don't buy it. Your app was very simple (easier than iMovie, which I just bought for $5) and worked every time. I bet Vimeo was overwhelmed with the number of people posting for free and yanked the feature from the app knowing that paying members would never think to use an iPhone to capture, edit and post videos. Oh well, disappointing. Maybe you can surprise us all and add the feature with the new version, but I'm currently not buying it.

Mike Geyer

Mike Geyer

I miss the simple editing feature you had in the previous release. I can shoot 1-3 little videos, glue them together with nice fade in/out, add some text up front, post to Vimeo for sharing.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thanks Mike, we'll take this into consideration for a future update.

Mike Hondorp

Mike Hondorp

I have a 22 minute video posted on Vimeo and I was never able to get it to play on my old iPhone 3 GS. I just got an iPhone 5 and the video still doesn't play. I read some FAQs that said to create a mobile version of the video, but I can't find anything on the site that tells how to so that. I find the new Vimeo iPhone app confusing. It has all this feed stuff, but no links to help or anything like that. I had to go back to my PC to send this. Can you help me to get my movie to work on my new phone? Thanks.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hey Mike, I'm re-converting your video now so it will be compatible with iOS devices. Older videos that were uploaded more than a couple of years ago may not be compatible and have to be re-converted manually by the staff to make them work on mobile devices.

On that note, you should be good to go with that one :)

Mike Hondorp

Mike Hondorp

Thanks Tommy. I look forward to it. Mike

Mike Hondorp

Mike Hondorp

Thank you Tommy. It played on my iPhone. I appreciate your help. Mike

Steve B.

Steve B.

App crashes when I try to view my "likes". Please fix this.

Steve

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry about that, Steve. We'll have a fix for this in the next update.

Steve B.

Steve B.

Thanks so much, Tommy.

Deniz Ozut

Deniz Ozut

I can not upload vıdeos from my Ipad, ıt strats uploadın but evenually stucks at some poınt. What ıs the problem? thanks.

Deniz Ozut

Deniz Ozut

Hi, I have tried several videos and all of thme were less than one minute long, shot by iPad 3rd generation.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Are the clips just from your Camera Roll, or are you trying to upload an editing project?

Deniz Ozut

Deniz Ozut

Hi, all the clips are directly from my camera roll and I did not do any editing on them. I previously uploaded about 10 or more clips with no problem, but as I said I could not do it anymore, I also do have enough space on my iPad (~1,2 GB) I guess. Thanks.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hmm, that's very odd then. Do you have iOS6 installed? If so, can you try uploading to the site without the app? Just go to vimeo.com/upload in Safari.

Chris Gundersen

Chris Gundersen

I have the same problem. The app prompts me to add info to some pending uploads, but the upload progress percentage just displays the percent sign (no number), can't pause, resume, or clear completed. Can only cancel upload or delete the upload. Videos on the site show "uploading" and never go any further. I've resorted to Dropbox integration and uploading them that way, but would really like to be able to successfully upload from the app.

FRPCS (music)

FRPCS (music)

The new mobile app DOES NOT download the movies!
Can that option come back? Please?

jungelbobo

jungelbobo

Will it be possible to make the video to be played within the app, like what the youtube app does in present?

nitin

nitin

hello vimeo user,
I want to run my video on iphone.but i am getting problem that my video not play until I signup . I want my video play without need of signup..

Link: vimeo.com/55431671

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Logging in isn't necessary to view videos -- your video is playing back fine on our end.

Dave Doeppel

Dave Doeppel PRO

Search is really bad, although it seems equally as bad on iPad, apple tv, roku, even the web is not that great. No ability to download (already mentioned but figured I'd mention it) if I do find a video I'm looking for there is no way to Follow that user.

That's it for now

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

There are some bugs with search right now (both on-site and through connected devices) that we are working on now. I apologize for any inconvenience.

David Barkan

David Barkan Plus

Just to +1 on requests. A workflow of mine that's been broken, was: Edit, convert and upload a video on Final Cut Pro X straight to Vimeo, then I would make it private with a password and share it with my clients straight from my iPod Touch. I really don't understand why you would remove such functionality. Especially since there's many professionals that use Vimeo for client work.

My suggestion would be to make a Vimeo Plus or Pro app, with all these advanced options, charge $0.99 and make us all happy. =)

cheers!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi David, I'm afraid I don't see where our app breaks your workflow. Sharing is available in the app (and works way better than it used to), can you provide more detail?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Privacy settings can be changed between fully Public and fully Private in the app, however the more granular privacy settings will require you to edit on the site instead.

Ilaina Gelberg

Ilaina Gelberg Plus

I have Vimeo plus and have not had any problems uploading videos on my iPhone until this new upgrade to the Vimeo app. I have tried uploading my videos and they seem to take forever and just don't not upload. The videos seem to render, then they go to the uploading process. This uploading process seems to go on indefinitely . I will occasionally see this process done & see that the video is transcoding. It stays in this process as if it is frozen & nothing happens thereafter. Why is my video stuck in this transcoding process & why is the uploading process going on & on??? The only way I now can upload my video is through the non version mobile app & that too is sometimes giving me trouble. Why is this happening all of a sudden??? I am so frustrated especially since I have had no trouble whatsoever before you updated the app. Please HELP!!!

Ilaina Gelberg

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

It looks like you were able to successfully upload last night from the iOS app. How much free space is available on your device? We do some processing on your video before uploading it, so some free space is needed.

Ilaina Gelberg

Ilaina Gelberg Plus

Hi Tommy, I have 5.1 GBS available on my phone so this cannot be the problem. What I forgot to mention is that when I try uiading a video it also gives me a message that " Pending Upload". An upload is pending . Add necessary info to complete this upload." Please tell me what this means & what I can do in order to correct this problem do I can use the new Vimeo app.. So this problem is in addition to the other problem where I get stuck on transcoding..

I am so frustrated since I never had these problems using your older app.

Thanks so much,
Ilaina

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Are you on an iPad or iPhone? We have a fix for this with our next update on the iPad app, but I haven't heard of the issue with the iPhone.

Ilaina Gelberg

Ilaina Gelberg Plus

Guess I am the 1 st one then with this problem on my iPhone. Any solution for me?

Ilaina Gelberg

Ilaina Gelberg Plus

But I want to use my app without going into Vimeo.com/upload in safari. So how can you solve my problem with your app??? You have not addressed my problem and are simply telling me what I already know. Are you telling me Icannot use the app on my phone then? why have an app if it does not work???? Please have someone help me with my app Problem. I do not want to use safari .. If the app is available why are you telling me to use safari & are not solving my problem?? Maybe someone else who works for Vimeo has to help me. I cannot believe you are not helping me and are diverting me to safari. Why have an app then?? I would appreciate someone else helping me since you have no solution for me. And I have Vimeo plus which makes me more annoyed especially because I had no problem with the app prior to your upgrade. Please have someone else help me if you cannot.

Thank you,
Ilaina

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We're looking into this issue now - I'd suggest deleting and reinstalling the app, this will clear out any incomplete renders/uploads. If you're still having trouble, please continue to upload using Safari instead of the app. We have a bug fix update coming out very soon which should resolve many common issues within the app.

Ilaina Gelberg

Ilaina Gelberg Plus

I just deleted & reinstalled app. Will see how this works. Sure hope I have no trouble otherwise will use safari. Thanks so much for listening & your help.

Ilaina

Ernie Fritz

Ernie Fritz Plus

How do I share a video with the ipad version of Vimeo? I'm a pro user and can't find the "share" button anywhere.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Share was temporarily disabled in the 3.0 version of the iPad app. We'll have it back in 3.0.1.

mike overson

mike overson Plus

Dear Vimeo,
I tried to watch two of my videos on my iPhone but both times it would freeze up at 10 or 20 minutes and I had to finish watching them at Blip.tv where my videos always play to the end. Also after reading every comment at Vimeo for your new iPhone app it reminded me of when the new OSX Lion was only half as good as the Snow Leopard it replaced on my Mac. It's the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Of the new You Tube, Viddler and Vimeo the new Vimeo was the best because it was just as good as the old Vimeo. What I'm saying is sometimes you don't realize when you have things nearly perfect and you shouldn't try fix what isn't broke.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Mike, we're looking into issues with longer videos on iOS now; the issue appears to be with our CDN (content delivery network), which is somewhat out of our control.

Also, trust me when I say that even though the old app may have worked, it was definitely broken underneath. The new app cleans up the cruft so now we can rebuild and make the app even better!

PUKKAS Internet Solutions

PUKKAS Internet Solutions

Hello,

I have some videos on this account that doesn't appear on the app version. What is more, when I look for those videos, among the search results there are previous versions of the video that aren't online anymore. I have tried to refresh the search lots of times, but they insist on appearing.
I can't watch them, fortunately. An error message appears at the start.

Thank you for your attention.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry about that! We have a fix for weird search results coming in the next update.

Domen Savi?

Domen Savi? Plus

I am sorry if this question was already answered, I did a CTRL+F on this tread but did not find anything. Anyway ... when I record a video with Vimeo iPhone app and then try to upload it I get a "Error saving video - user denied access" error. What do I need to remedy to make this work :)?

Thanks in advance!

d.

Domen Savi?

Domen Savi? Plus

Solved it! You need to enable access to Photos folder in Settings. Thanks anyways ;)

d.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Cheers! We'll have some alerts in the next version to make sure permissions are set correctly.

ZachFine

ZachFine Plus

A search for "anamorphic" on the website returns 2,970 videos. The same search using the iPad app unearths only 20 videos. Was this a design decision related to simplifying the app experience? It feels like a bug.

I'm finding that I have to do all my searches via the web, then browse the results and add them to my watch later queue. Then I can fire up the iPad app and actually watch the videos. I'd just watch them on the website but AirPlay from the video website via iPad to appletv is broken.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Zach, the next update to the app should resolve some search issues. We're also working with Apple now to fix any AirPlay issues.

C Harrington

C Harrington

Newb question:

How do I delete videos using this latest version of the IOS App?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Go to Me > tap the clip you want to delete > tap Edit > tap Done (if the keyboard pops up) > tap Delete Video

C Harrington

C Harrington

Thanks! Ok, I can see this on m iPhone, but not iPad. Am I missing something?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Unfortunately it's not possible to delete a clip within the iPad app.

mike overson

mike overson Plus

Hi,
After I downloaded your latest version of Vimeo for my iPhone it still has the same problem I mentioned last time:
I tried to watch two of my videos on my iPhone but both times it would freeze up at 10 or 20 minutes and I had to finish watching them at Blip.tv where my videos always play to the end.

Thanks for your last reply which probably still applies now, I just wanted to let you know the problem isn't fixed yet.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hey Mike, poor playback of videos over 20 minutes long on iOS devices is a separate issue that we're working with Apple and our CDN to resolve now.

mike overson

mike overson Plus

Thanks for your reply. Some info that might help is I just submitted a request to Viddler with screen shots of my videos that would or wouldn't play on my iPhone. It was right after I just watched all 1.5 hours of my video L109 on iPhone at Viddler, (L109 is also at Vimeo). However I've watched about a dozen of my videos at Blip.tv that were from 10 minutes to over 3 hours long (#17) on my iPhone and I haven't had a single problem yet. I've also watched a couple of my 40 minute videos at Daily Motion on my iPhone without any trouble. (Hopefully that was useful information.)

Al

Al

Hi,

I'd actually find very convenient and functional use for the vimeo app on the iPad if I could upload and edit videos from any folder on my devices, not just from videos shot with them, e.g. The ability to upload a video taken with a GoPro and imported to my iPad.

Limiting the ability to only upload videos shot by the iPhone or iPad seems more than a little ridiculous. Can someone confirm whether this is a deliberate limitating design by Vimeo, or something that might be introduced in the near future, or a technical limitation by imposed apple?

Cheers

Link: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:98036

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, this is more of a technical limitation. The editor in the iPad is limited to video recorded with the device because it would be very difficult to support the many different types of codecs and other raw file types that could be imported from another camera or device. This may change down the road, but in the meantime something like iMovie for iOS or a desktop video editor is better suited for that type of work.

Joan Icky

Joan Icky

Does anyone have a workaround so that I can download videos to my iphone camera roll?

siren

siren

I'm a member of a class with private videos.
I have the password. On my computer I set the videos to 'watch later' so I could watch them on my phone. But on the mobile app, the videos are not there.
I tried going both through the app and the phone's browser - on the phone's browser I can at least log in to the album and see that the videos are there, but it says I don't have permission to view them. And in both places on my phone there is nowhere to put in a password for the actual videos, in case that was the problem.
They don't show up on the phone in my Watch Later list. Am I missing something???

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, for now password protected videos (and any other video that is marked with privacy besides "Anyone") will not show up in Watch Later on the app. We'll have this feature available soon!

Les Fuchs

Les Fuchs Plus

I shot about five minutes' worth of video with my iPhone at a jazz concert on 12/29/12, and I got an error message when I tried to upload it to Vimeo. The message said I would exceed my permitted limit and I would have to wait for the new week to start on Sunday (the next day).

I purposely didn't quit the Vimeo app on my iPhone, but when I went back to it on Sunday, the video I shot was nowhere to be found. Please don't tell me that the Vimeo app deleted my video because it would not accept an upload at the time I shot it. Assuming the app cannot be this poorly designed, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know whether and where I can retrieve the footage.

Thanks,
Les

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Les, when you shot the video were you using the Vimeo app, or just the built-in Camera app?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Which model iPhone are you using and what version of iOS is installed?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

That's very odd, the video should be saved to your Camera Roll, even if it wasn't uploaded. Is the clip not in your Camera Roll?

Les Fuchs

Les Fuchs Plus

Err, in fact, it is. I thought I looked for it there, but maybe I didn't. I might have erroneously concluded that since it was no longer in the Vimeo app (where it was when I got the message) that it had disappeared into the ether. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Katri Manninen

Katri Manninen

Hey, I've tried now several times to upload various videos from my iphone 5 (with the newest iOS) to Vimeo -- both via the vimeo app and safari. Videos have been around 15-18 minutes long. Usually uploads just hang up, but today the app actually uploaded my video -- "Yay" -- except that when I tried to watch it, around 15 minutes something strange happens -- first the video is stuck, then it comes back but without sound! ARGH! Here's the video:vimeo.com/57166546

I'm right now trying to upload the video again, but if it goes wrong, I think I've finally lost my fate on you guys...

I don't know if I'm just imagining, but last summer I uploaded a couple of videos each week -- and they were long ones -- and everything was just peachy and wonderful and I loved Vimeo and told everyone how much I love it... And since last fall it seems that about one in three or four videos I upload has some kind of hassle going on -- regardless if I download via web or phone. What gives?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Katri, was the video you uploaded shot using the iPhone, or was it shot using another camera/device?

Katri Manninen

Katri Manninen

Shot with iPhone's own camera app -- using the front "screen side " camera. videos shot with the exactly the same way upload to youtube without a hitch.

I decided not to risk my weekly quota with another botched video, so I'll compress and reload it tomorrow via my Mac. Oh, and IMovie on iPhone couldn't upload my previous video to Vimeo either, so I had to download it via dropbox.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

With the iMovie app there's a 500mb limit to uploading, regardless of account type. The file size of your last upload is 1.3gb - with videos that size I'd highly recommend uploading using your computer instead of your device. If you try uploading with the iOS app, I'd suggest plugging your iPhone into a power source so the wi-fi connection doesn't drop during upload.

Additionally, the Vimeo iOS app renders your video before uploading it, so make sure you have plenty of free space on your device before uploading. In your case, I'd recommend having several gigabytes available to help narrow down any possible issues that could come up.

Vitchub

Vitchub

Hi guys, the Vimeo app keeps crashing when I check My Likes (iPhone 4S with IOS 6.0.1).
Before it does crash, I have noticed the insanely random order that My Likes appear. I urge you to use common sense and have them organized chronologically, from NEW to OLD, same with My Videos, not from OLD to NEW! (Please take a look at the youtube app for basic fussy logic).

And apparently the app has no sense of a calendar, because it shows "Unknown join date" on my profile, and all of the videos of My Likes and My Videos show a "Null" date on them.

Thanks in advance!

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, sorry for the trouble. One of our staff members will be in contact with you Monday about this issue. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, this sounds like the bug we had with the original 3.0 release of the app. Make sure you download the latest version (3.0.1) here: http://j.mp/vimeoios

Vitchub

Vitchub

I had the latest version (3.0.1), nevertheless I deleted the app and reinstalled. The app is still behaving as I described on my previous post, but with some new details:
-Now My Videos do not appear on a OLD to NEW order, but a rather random order.
-My Likes appear on a NEW to OLD order, but after a few seconds, the app crashes.

As I mentioned before, none of my videos show a date but "Null" , and my profile shows "Unknown join date". There is some kind of a problem with the app calendar that prevents it to show the right date of things.
I hope you can figure out how to fix all this soon, it is quite useless to have an app with so many bugs.
Thanks a lot!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I've run this past our developers and we're looking into it now. What settings do you have under Settings > General > Date & Time and Settings > General > International?

Vitchub

Vitchub

If you mean Settings>General>International, I have the following:
Language: Spanish
Voice Control: Spanish
Keyboard: 2
Regional Settings: Mexico
Calendar: Gregorian

As for the random way My Videos show and the crashing of the app while accessing My Likes, do you have any clues? Such bugs render the app almost impossible to use.
Thanks in advance.

chandra

chandra

I really hope you guys are paying attention the mass of complaints on the app itself in the App Store. There are a lot of disgruntled users, which seems ridiculous, since the previous version of this app seemed to work perfectly fine for everyone. I'm in agreeable with "Katri", when she said she used to be able to dl several videos with the previous version, and now that seems impossible because we now have to make sure we have enough gigs just for the app to function correctly? Just bring back all the functions of the older version, and pay attention to the reviews, that were at one time, good, but not so much anymore.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, thanks for your feedback. One of our staff members will be in contact with you Monday about this issue. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

With regards to not having enough space to launch the app, have you done any uploading with it recently?

chandra

chandra

chandra 5 seconds ago
No. I deleted the app, at least, until I see the old functions come back to the app. Allowing only one size upload defeats uploading in the first place.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by allowing only one size upload; if you were trying to upload a longer HD clip from your iPhone, we render the video on the device first before uploading it, requiring space on your device.

chandra

chandra

There used to be an option where you could upload a 360 version or a 540 version, as well as the option for an HD version. That made it a bit easier to upload a few vids at a time from my phone, within my weekly limit, and allowing me to replace the lower resolution with a better version at another time. Also losing the ability to dl an older video directly from the app, please consider bringing back.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Ah, I understand now. We removed the uploaded video quality options to help streamline the uploading process, plus most users picked the highest quality video anyway. We're listening to all of the feedback and taking suggestions under advisement.

Jon Spain

Jon Spain

The search bar doesn't work and the app crashes
iPhone 4 all up to date firmware. HELP

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Which section of the app are you trying to use search? (i.e. Feed or Explore?)

Jon Spain

Jon Spain

It was the staff pics. (Just realized). It works in explore. The search bars hide at te top of the screen

Jon Spain

Jon Spain

Is there an update coming out anytime soon on iOS ??

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.