Times 3

Times 3 PRO

I'm rendering an HD video from After Effects CS5. I used your tutorial for my settings, but I'm still getting this Warning after I upload: "This video's datarate is only 1536kbps, which is lower than what we recommend and means your video might not look as it should." However, I have my datarate (both Target Bitrate & Maximum Bitrate) set at your recommended 5Mpbs (5120Kbps). I even tried changing that to 10 and the number in your Warning message for that video only went up by 5 or 6Kbps.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Would you like to see screenshots of my settings windows?

Here are the settings I'm using:
Quality: Best
Resolution: Full
Size: 1920 x 1080

Format: H.264
Multiplexing: MP4
Stream Compatibility: Standard
Codec Profile: High
Level: 5.1
Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 1 Pass
Target Bitrate (Mbps): 5
Maximum Bitrate (Mbps): 5

Audio Codec: AAC
Audio Quality: High
Audio BItrate: 320 Kbps
Audio Output: 44.1kHz

My still frame looks horrible too. Very pixelated.

Link: vimeo.com/54802319

Mark

Mark Staff

The metadata for your video says it's 1544 Kbps.

Times 3

Times 3 PRO

Ah yes, that's when I changed the Bitrate Maximum and Target to 10 Mbps instead of 5 which is recommended in your tutorial video and then did a file replace. I said it went up by 5 or 6, but I guess it was actually 8Kbps from the first attempt.

So why would I get this message when my settings are either 5Mbps or 10Mbps. Both of which are well above 5000Kbps.

Mark

Mark Staff

Because they're not, actually. It looks like After Effects is compressing them at way lower bitrates than it's claiming.

Times 3

Times 3 PRO

I realize you aren't responsible for other software, but I'm at a loss here. I found something online saying if you import footage at a lower bitrate that it can't be rendered at a higher bitrate. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but it still doesn't apply to my video which is entirely built using graphics and text.

With all that said, I actually think my video looks fine. I'd prefer not to get that error but I can live with it for now. The bigger issue is the pixelating of the thumbnail/still screen image. I selected the first frame in the video. I've also tried uploading the same image as a HD resolution PNG and they both look terrible. Is this a connected issue or something else?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

If you are saving the custom thumbnail at 72dpi and the same resolution as your video, that is unfortunately the best quality that we can currently offer. Sorry about that.

Times 3

Times 3 PRO

Ok, just one last question. If I use your system and select a frame it looks just as bad. However, when you view that frame while the video is playing it looks much better. Are you basically rendering an image file similar to what I upload?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Correct. Personally, I too hope that Vimeo can offer higher quality thumbnails soon. I'm going to look into this.

Times 3

Times 3 PRO

Thanks. We really like your service, but this is definitely a drawback.

Times 3

Times 3 PRO

For what it's worth I figured out how to export from AE and upload to Vimeo with no warning message. It doesn't follow your tutorial but it seems to work for me. Set the format as Quicktime and change the Codec to H.264 and the Audio Codec to AAC.

Mark

Mark Staff

Interesting! Thanks for letting us know. MOV works great, by the way - as long as it's h.264 it's totally cool.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.