Jaiden Frost

Jaiden Frost

So 2012 will probably be the most outlandish year of my career.

Late 2011, my friend's Father abruptly passed away. At the time we were running a youtube channel together using a FLIP UltraHD and making weekly episodes of a web series and gaining a small following. One night after a deep discussion, we both decided we wanted to try to start a video production company. Using the money from his Dad's life insurance we bought a Canon 550D, performance enhancements for my laptop, lights, sound equipment, software, rigs, etc.

A couple of months later our house was broken into and all of our equipment was stolen; around $4,000 worth of equipment. Gone. And so was my means on making any money. At the time, I had just started a vlog channel that had gained a mass amount of following in my City and just started doing live standup shows at a club, averaging around 300+ people every Tuesday night. All of my fans heartbroken at my loss, donated money and purchased a Sony A33 for me.

Link: vimeo.com/57407107

Jaiden Frost

Jaiden Frost

quickly began to shoot my vlogs again and various productions.

About five months of using this camera; I had hit so many walls using it. Considering it wasn't built for filmmaking and everything in video mode was "automatic". I finally saved up enough money, and with the help of selling this camera, I would be able to buy new equipment to start a full video production company again. Then I was frauded. A fake paypal email arrived in my inbox, instructing me to go through these various actions to receive the payment to finish the sell on the camera. Unfamiliar with Ebay/Paypal, I took the buyers word for it and the Paypal email and mailed the camera. Soon after, I contacted PayPal to which they told me that there were no payments pending for my account and the email address in which the email came from; was fake.

Unsure of what I was going to do, I posted a status on my Facebook. To which my Grandmother contacted me.

Jaiden Frost

Jaiden Frost

My family and I wasn't very close at the time, so I was immediately taken back. She told me she was proud of me and just received a sum of money from a loan, and wanted to use some of it to help my career get started. Shortly after, she transferred money to me and I repurchased all of the equipment I previously had before the robbery.

The first production I did with my new equipment was a short film. I randomly contacted a fellow film maker that night and inquired if he would be interested in making helping with that short film. From that point on it was magic. I had never creatively clicked with another filmmaker so well in my life. We decided that it would be in our best interest to always collaborate and we decided to start a video production company. He was amazing at editing, visual effects and the financial side of film; I was privy to the cinematography, legal work and color grading.

Jaiden Frost

Jaiden Frost

We formed an LLC named "Vinewood Pictures" and hit the road harder and faster than anyone, including ourselves, could have ever had expected. For seven months; things sky rocketed. Our demo reel hit 75,000 views in the first 48 hours, landed a contractual deal with a national real estate company, obtained a very nice office in an commercial building, were frequently featured by the local paper/radio, we were looking at around an estimated earning of $60-70,000 in our first year and in the pre-production process of working on a hip-hopera for T-Pain's newest album/mixtape.

And then things abruptly fell. That real estate company, which was our biggest client, decided they wanted to buy into the company. They were interested in purchasing 60% of the company with a promised 30k (at least) a year; plus bonuses. After a couple of months of discussion, a day before they were to do so; they decided against the deal. As well as taking their business and office from my company.

Jaiden Frost

Jaiden Frost

Devastated at the set back, my business parter decided that he wasn't ready to forth the time and devotion to rebuild the company from square one again, and with that… we dissolved the company. Shortly after, I learned that that same company, that bailed on the deal with us and pull their interest in our services, decided to hire my former business partner to do the very same job that we used to do for them.

So here I am, at the end of my first year of being a professional filmmaker. I have shot well over a 20 full productions, owned three cameras, a DBA, an LLC, obtained almost 400,000 views on YouTube world wide and garnered a rather large fan base due to filmmaking and my vlogs. I have lost thousands of dollars worth of equipment, multiple business ventures, clients and investors.

And after all of that, I bet you're wondering how I feel about everything.

I love it.

Jaiden Frost

Jaiden Frost

Film still means as much to me as it did the second I held my first video camera when I was 11 years old.
I couldn't have asked for more of an eventful first year and I just hope my work reflects my passion for what I do.

Below is my demo reel of my best clips of everything I've done this year.

Thank you for reading.

Link: vimeo.com/57407107

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.