PR Newswire

PR Newswire

people trying to view some of my embedded Vimeo Pro videos are reporting two issues:
1.blank black screen, no thumbnail or player controls laoding at all.
2. getting the following error:
this webpage is not available - the web page at player.vimeo.com/videos/40244876 might be temporarily down or it may hae ve moved to a new web address.
Error 501 (net::ERR_INSECURE_RESPONSE): Unknown error.

Users are in the UK. Happening in Google Chrome and Firefox. Only isolated to a handful of viewers (I do not encounter either issue on my PC). They are on different networks though.

Link: agility.mediaroom.com/videos

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry about that. We were experiencing some embed issues last evening that have since been resolved. Can you instruct them to clear the browser's cache and cookies and try again? I apologize for the inconvenience.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry about that. We are currently experiencing some momentary technical difficulties with our Html5 player. To watch videos while we work on fixing this bug, we recommend that you switch to the Flash player. To do so, Iook for the link directly below a video on a clip page that says 'Switch to Flash player.' By clicking this link, you'll automatically start using the Flash player.

Thanks for your patience!

Eric Blondin

Eric Blondin

First off, amazing player! You guys ROCK!

But sadly I am having this same issue, but only with firefox. ie, chrome, safari, all load my videos fine. Firefox is the only browser that doesn't load the video or only loads a black box. Clearing the cache does not appear to help.

Link: ericblondin.blogspot.com

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Eric, that's odd. Your videos are playing fine for me in Firefox. Can you try disabling any browser add-ons you have installed with Firefox?

Eric Blondin

Eric Blondin

Hi Ian,

Thank you for taking a look. I disabled all add on's and they still aren't ALL loading. SOME of them do load fine, it seems to be random though which ones load and which ones don't. I have tried it on several machines and I get the same result. Are you sure that ALL of the embedded videos load for you?

There are a total of 8 embedded videos toward the top of the page in the above link. Typically the first 5 or so load fine and the last ones don't. But it's random.

Link: ericblondin.blogspot.com

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Interesting. Yes. All of the videos loaded for me. I'm going to continue to look into this.

Eric Blondin

Eric Blondin

One other thing to add, is that if I hit refresh while I have the blank/black video that is not displaying correctly on the screen. The missing video will typically show up once the page is refreshed. Sometimes this takes a few refreshes for it to work though, very strange.

Eric Blondin

Eric Blondin

To try to help troubleshoot this issue, I made a screen capture of what it is looking like on my machine, you can view it here (it may take a few min to fully load):

screencast.com/t/zljNz4cbPUE

You can see I have no ADD ONs enabled and my firefox is up to date.

amelia fernandez

amelia fernandez

I am having the same black screen error with Firefox and IExplorer. I cannot find the Switch to FlashPlayer button on any of them.
Chrome plays the video switching to the Html5 player, not to Flash player.
The video plays OK when I am logged in. When other people I have given the password to, try and watch them, they get the black screen.
Another, shorter, video that I uploaded hours later plays just fine everywhere.
Do you think your Htlm5 player difficulties will be solved resonably soon? I am trying to share this video with a number of computer-challenged senior citizens, and asking them to install a new browser is asking a lot.
vimeo.com/60943849

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Amelia, sorry for the trouble. To clarify, videos only work in Chrome when using the Html5 player? Can you try updating your Flash player to the current version?

amelia fernandez

amelia fernandez

Hi Ian. Updating Flash Player didn't fix it. I use Firefox. I tried Chrome based on other comments I read on this thread, thinking it would give you additional information.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Interesting. Do you have any browser add-ons installed with Firefox, Firewalls or anti spyware software?

amelia fernandez

amelia fernandez

I believe I have a Firewall. But how come my other videos, compressed and uploaded just the same, work fine and only that one doesn't?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Amelia, I believe that I have found the issue and am re-encoding your video now. It should play fine shortly.

Eric Blondin

Eric Blondin

Hey guys, do you have any more insight into why my videos will randomly show up as black or blank on firefox? I have tried them on four different PC's and they show up the same on every single PC that I try them on. Sometimes they load, sometimes they don't and if I hit refresh a few times while the part of the page that has the video is on screen, they will usually show up.

To try to help troubleshoot this issue, I made a screen capture of what it is looking like on my machine, you can view it here (it may take a few min to fully load):

screencast.com/t/zljNz4cbPUE

You can see I have no ADD ONs enabled and my firefox is up to date.

They do work fine though on IE, chrome, and safari.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Huh, that's odd. I still haven't been able to replicate this but I'm looking into it. Thanks for the screencast though.

Eric Blondin

Eric Blondin

To further add to the issue, half of the time even when the video player does it load, it won't actually play the video. clicking play does nothing...

But I think I may have found at least part of the issue. I think there might just be too many things being loaded on my home page. I copied all of the videos onto another page and they all display fine there every time in firefox. But that's kind of the point of a blog is to have a lot of stuff on one page...

Still odd though that you aren't seeing the same issue on the home page..

Link: ericblondin.blogspot.com/p/filmtv.html

Mark

Mark Staff

Do you have any antivirus software or firewalls running?

Clomotion

Clomotion Plus

Also having a similar issues. I'm building a website in dreamweaver and all my videos on my account are not embedding but when I try other videos from other users it works fine.
When previewing on Safari it is the same.

Any help on the issue would be great.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry for the trouble. Is it possible for you to link me to the site?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.