Shane Siers

Shane Siers

All of my Vimeo videos look very "soft" after a reencode. This may be "nice" for a "film" feel, but my natural scenics suffer from lack of sharpness. I would VERY MUCH love a re-encode option to optimize for sharpness over other aspects (even frame rate...I'd take 15fps with great sharpness over 30 and fuzzy). I can get beautiful images from my own 2mbps encodings, but all soft after Vimeo reencoding.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Can you please post some URLs you want us to take a look at that best exemplifies this issue you're noticing?

Shane Siers

Shane Siers

You can look at any of my videos you are hosting (vimeo.com/61394916 for example)...my statement is not so much an "issue", e.g. a problem that can be fixed, but a subjective judgement on the relative sharpness of any non-HD videos you host. In my NLE software (Sony Vegas Pro) or any other, I can choose the trade-offs I want to make in order to get the crisp images i like (including dropping the frame rate)...but everything gets re-encoded and all sharpness is lost. Are you able to access the unencoded version of the file I submitted? If so, look at that and see what I would like my clips to look like.

Link: vimeo.com/61394916

Mark

Mark Staff

It would be a lot sharper if this was uploaded in HD.

Mark

Mark Staff

YouTube has different encoders than we do. We're always working on improving quality.

Alexandre de Mortemart

Alexandre de Mortemart

Understand but the quality for a paying service on Vimeo is below the one of Youtube free of charge!

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry you feel that way, Alexandre.

Alexandre de Mortemart

Alexandre de Mortemart

Mark I like Vimeo but I feel frustrated that Youtube as a better quality than you guys. Anyway hopefully it will improve. Have a good day

Mark

Mark Staff

Like I said, we're always working on improving our video quality. Cheers!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.