Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

VOD now offers creators the ability to provide 100% off codes to their viewers. We hope to give users the ability to change the amount of the discount in the future.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi all, VOD creators can now provide promotional codes for discounted rentals and purchases of your work (in addition to full 100% off discounts). Take a look at our handy FAQ for information on setting up promo codes, and if you have any questions about using promo codes, post in the Help Forum or contact us!

Link: vimeo.com/s/acy

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/contact

Craig D. Foster

Craig D. Foster Plus

Would love to be able to give a special code to people who have crowd funded my short films so they can watch them for free on Vimeo on Demand. I suppose a code with an expiry date would be the best option. I would like this option for both the rent and buy features.

Thanks!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Barrie,

As Sox said we're working on that – should be around soon :)

Freakpyromaniacs

Freakpyromaniacs PRO

Still waiting on this option guys.
Without it it is almost impossible for me to use the system how i want.
Please give us a some more information about a release date for this option?!

Position Ignition

Position Ignition PRO

+1 for special codes

Is there anything in the roadmap for introducing other currencies e.g. pound sterling for UK customers? This would be really useful.

Bryony Thomas

Bryony Thomas PRO

I would also like to be able to issue a VAT receipt. And, run an affiliate scheme - like the eventbrite ones.

Ballpark

Ballpark

Hi guys

We're looking to hand out free vouchers for the VOD copy of our feature films to competition winners so this will be absolutely perfect. I'd be interested to know how long it'll be before it lands as we've got a few comps coming up and I'd like to be able to use Vimeo rather than DVD!

Matt

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey Matt,

Sorry but we don't have ETAs for feature releases. If you can't wait I'd upload a second copy of the video and password protect it :)

Aussie Gay Sitcom

Aussie Gay Sitcom

Interested in a voucher/coupon option for fans where we can offer a discount on Buy All price.

paul wheaton

paul wheaton PRO

I like the idea of giving free access to a collection of VOD videos to one account. Or, better yet, a list of accounts. Thus facilitating a streaming option for kickstarter.

Plus, a discount code option: I have somebody that will tell 85,000 people about my VOD stuff if he can give his people a discount code.

Plus an affiliate program. I have three big web sites that will list my VOD stuff if there is an affiliate program.

Hopkin Skate

Hopkin Skate Plus

I second an affiliate program. Give big websites an incentive to promote VOD.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

VOD now offers creators the ability to provide 100% off codes to their viewers. We hope to give users the ability to change the amount of the discount in the future.

Myles Thompson

Myles Thompson Plus

I would love to be able to send a VOD gift voucher to a friend. I guess the above process would cover this. Ideally it would work even if the user doesn't have a Vimeo account...

Video Producer NZ

Video Producer NZ

Yes. It's very important that the recipient of a VOD gift voucher, or purchaser of a VOD discount code can receive the voucher / code BEFORE joining Vimeo. Obviously. Or else 3rd party retailers of such vouchers would have a severely constrained market that they can sell to.

The recipient of the voucher / code should only subsequently be required to join Vimeo in order to redeem the voucher and view the video(s) concerned.

I would also very much like to see affiliate hosting of Vimeo VODs possibility with a small cut (say 15%) going to the affiliate. This would greatly increase distribution and marketing of our videos. It would be very attractive to web publishers to (re)host quality content that costs them nothing, but positions them to make a cut. We all win.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

Maybe I'm confused by your comment, but the way it works currently is you create a code, and can give it to anyone, regardless of whether or not they're a Vimeo user. Then, when they sign up for Vimeo, they can use the code to get your VOD video for free. There wouldn't be any fees involved.

Video Producer NZ

Video Producer NZ

Hi Matt

To clarify, I would like to see unique codes created that can be sold by third parties. Thereby creating opportunity and incentive for others to essentially distribute my works.

So for example, if I make a video series on a certain subject, and host that with Vimeo VOD - I'd like (multiple) online retailers of physical merchandise related to my subject to be able to also sell unique codes to access my series (at perhaps 10% discount over the regular VOD entry price). Does that make sense?

This suggestion, and the paid affiliate VOD hosting suggestion are really about widely distributed marketing of our content. Good for Vimeo, good for the content providers, and good for 3rd party code resellers and hosting affiliates.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Ah I see. While we do hope to offer discount codes in different amounts (rather than just 100% off), I'm not sure there are any immediate plans to offer these to be sold by third parties and this probably won't be something we get into in the foreseeable future.

paul wheaton

paul wheaton PRO

The problem with a code that can be given to anyone, is that the code can be given to anyone. If you have a kickstarter and 722 people pay for the VOD version, then I can give those 722 people the code and a week later find out that 6320 people have used the code.

On the other hand, kickstarter is all set up to ask people for their mailing address. But I could ask for their vimeo id. And then I would have a long list of vimeo IDs. If I could feed that list of 722 vimeo IDs to the VOD stuff, then my whole kickstarter stuff is done.

Of course, it would be nice if vimeo would accept "19984809" or "vimeo.com/user19984809"; or "user19984809" in the list. And then maybe say "718 vimeo users now have access to your VOD stuff. Here are 4 that I couldn't figure out ..."

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Paul,

Eventually we hope to make this process more in line with typical coupon systems, but for now you can limit the amount of times a code can be used, which in a way prevents users from sharing it.

paul wheaton

paul wheaton PRO

I think it doesn't prevent sharing. It makes it so that bad guys share in a bad way and good guys that took two days get screwed.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Paul,

Ultimately your users will decide whether or not to share the code, regardless of any limit we impose – there's always a way to "game" the system.

If you'd like, you can create multiple codes (a lot of repetitive work, I know) and set each one to only be used once. This will at least deter would-be sharers from loosing their ability to view what they purchased access to.

Again, we hope to improve this in the future!

paul wheaton

paul wheaton PRO

I guess that's why I'm taking the time to post in the "feature requests" forum. I wish to clarify my needs and what will work - in case you all are adding new stuff to the software.

The ability to give access to a thousand vimeo accounts is a rock solid solution. It would also be great if vimeo emailed those people and said "you now have access to this video!"

paul wheaton

paul wheaton PRO

I like the idea of giving out a discount code for 15% off. If it gets shared over and over, that's okay.

paul wheaton

paul wheaton PRO

I like the idea of offering a hefty affiliate fee. Like $20. And I like the idea that vimeo does 100% of the money fondling. So the user shells out $95, vimeo takes $9.50, the affiliate's vimeo account gets a $20 credit and I get credited whatever is left over. Nobody is having to fool with the icky CJ. I don't have to have the chore of paying the affiliate, and the affiliate doesn't have to get their knickers in a twist over "will that paul guy actually pay up?" Everything is automated.

paul wheaton

paul wheaton PRO

Now I'm thinking that it would be great to announce a $40 affiliate fee a week before black friday. And I could tell people that the $40 affiliate thing will hold through december, and then drop down to $20 (the change would be manual on my part).

paul wheaton

paul wheaton PRO

Another idea along these lines: It would be great for somebody to say "look, I bought you this VOD thing for christmas! All you have to do is click on this link and you can watch it over and over for years!"

Cal Thorley

Cal Thorley PRO

Put me down as another pro user very keen to make use of a variable discount option. The lack of this feature is certainly holding me back!

Lesley Paterson

Lesley Paterson PRO

We're loving the ability to offer a promo code. But, yes, the variable discount is critical. Thanks for your support and the great products!

Senad Santic

Senad Santic PRO

I too need the ability for a discount at a certain percentage. Feel pretty stuck at this point. If there is anybody how that is going along, please let us know, so that I know how to move forward.

Also, if it is not close to being completed, is it ok if I create another copy of the course, with a different price, but that has a password. Only the people with the password will be able to access it. Thanks

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

You're free to create a second copy at a lower price if you want, but you cannot password protect the VOD page :(

Christian Genzel

Christian Genzel PRO

I also feel it's vital that different types of discount can be set, so that you can offer customers a 10% discount, a 50% discount etc. Also, it'd be helpful if one could limit the code to rentals or purchases and not automatically have them applicable to both.
Hope this feature is still in the works and will see the light of day soon!

Pacific College

Pacific College PRO

Yes, in order to use this feature, my company needs an adjustable discount percentage. When will this feature be offered?

Dreamland Technology

Dreamland Technology PRO

Hello Matt,
Still waiting for the adjustable discount percentage and differentiation between buy and rates promo codes....How much longer do you think we have to wait ? :-(((((

Astralis Productions

Astralis Productions PRO

+1 on this request. I intend to sell my upcoming film on DVD with a coupon code so buyers can get the 1080p version VOD at a large discount. Hoping very much to see a variable discount option happening soon.

BTW, my solution to the code-sharing problem would be to direct the coupon codes to my website where they will be exchanged for the code on Vimeo. That way I can change the code as I please to reduce sharing.

Kit Laughlin

Kit Laughlin PRO

Christian wrote:

I also feel it's vital that different types of discount can be set, so that you can offer customers a 10% discount, a 50% discount etc.

+100 from me! Thanks guys and gals.

Bite Size Learning

Bite Size Learning PRO

+1000 for us. We would love to be able to offer a 20-40% discount! The Staff Note at the top says it is in the works...any updates on timing??

The Bridgewater Triangle

The Bridgewater Triangle PRO

Yeah, I don't really know what the hold-up could possibly be for offering discount (not free) promo codes. This option is essential for cross-promotions and advertising solutions. You guys have set up this entire operation, but can't add this one option? People have been asking for this option for months. Why would it take so long to implement this?

Alex Duina

Alex Duina

Hello, i am on the other side of the deal: we would like to promote a friend's documentary and get affiliate fees for the converted leads we generate: from this forum - and all the search i have done on the Vimeo site - it seems this VOD affiliate program does not exist today - am I correct?

thanks for shedding some light on this

and, yes, if such option did exist (in the very same day it works for an Amazon book), it would help the creator of the VOD, the marketing partners, and of course Vimeo too

Myles and Tessa

Myles and Tessa PRO

It's been a year since the original promise that you guys were working on it...how close are you?

Siddhartha Azad

Siddhartha Azad

Any updates on this? It's a much-needed feature. Hardly do sellers give 100% off. In any case, can we have a realistic estimate of when this feature will be released? Thanks.

Link: angularjstutor.com

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I can't give a precise launch date but promo codes should be available within the next week or so.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.