How's Your News?

How's Your News?

I'm having an issue with thumbnails and the API. For some reason on one of my videos, the thumbnails look fine here, but when I call one from the API it just returns color bars.

vimeo.com/3151167

That's the video. Again, on Vimeo the thumbnail appears and everything looks fine... it's in the API call that it just returns color bars.

Thoughts?

This is the only video in the system that's giving me this problem... all of my other videos return thumbnails just fine using the API.

Thanks for your help!

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Are you using the Simple API or the Advanced API? And what size are you requesting?

All the thumbnails returned in the Simple API are working for me.

How's Your News?

How's Your News?

We're using the advanced API, and pulling a thumbnail with a 460 width. Here's the actual PHP code we're using to do that. It has worked just fine for us on every video except this one. We recently switched to a PLUS account... could that be the issue?

$r = $vimeo->call('vimeo.videos.getThumbnailUrl', array('video_id' => 3151167, 'size' => '460'));

$thumbpath = $r->thumbnail->_content;

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Sorry about that. For some reason a bunch of videos didn't have 460 width thumbs made for them. They should be available by sometime tomorrow.

Benjamin Neely

Benjamin Neely

I am having color bars for all my thumbnails of recently uploaded avi vids.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Some videos uploaded recently did not have thumbnails made for them. We are working on fixing this.

Chris Kalani

Chris Kalani

Hey, we're having the same issue right now with 460. Just getting the default bars. When will this be fixed, pretty much every video that's been posted on our site in the last week or so is bars.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

My fault, forgot to change the thumbnail sizes being returned in the getInfo call. The new sizes should be coming up now.

Alachua County

Alachua County

How long should I expect to wait for a preview image to appear? When should I feel like this is a problem

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Hi Bret,

For some reason, there was a problem generating the thumbnails the first time around. I generated them again so they should show up in a few minutes.

Ben Millett

Ben Millett

Based on the date of the api post about thumbnail sizes, I think that is about the same time I started having with accessing the large thumbnails using simple api. I've been calling the large thumbnails for album 49277, and only a few of the videos have their real thumbnails. It's been like this for several weeks (I assume since the 13th). Do I need to just wait longer for the thumbnails or can you regenerate them?

I should probably search to see if this is covered elsewhere, but how much longer will you support simpleapi v1? I can change my wp plugin to use the new api, but that will break a lot of websites, since request of 'clips' is now 'videos'.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Hi Ben,

I generated the thumbnails for your videos on that page that didn't have the large ones.

We were originally going to cut off Simple API v1 on August 15, but that's not going to happen. I can guarantee it will be around for at least another month, but you should definitely update your WP plugin.

Ben Millett

Ben Millett

Thanks. I'll get working on that plugin, then.

Tyler Sellars

Tyler Sellars

I'm having the same issue as several above.. The thumbnails show up when accessing a specific video, however on my profile page the thumbnails for numerous videos are shown as the vimeo color bars. Any advice?

Daniel R. Odio

Daniel R. Odio

Similar issue -- video is just showing colored bars. (found this thread off a google search -- I'm not using API, just trying to view video directly). Any ideas why? vimeo.com/38233694

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Looks fine now. In the future, please post things like this in the Help forum.

Rim Chehab

Rim Chehab PRO

I am having troubble seeing the video today after uploading it all night , I have color bars and no Play button to play the video
Please advise !!!!

Link: vimeo.com/77679999

Gap multimedia S.r.l.

Gap multimedia S.r.l. PRO

The same for me. I'm uploading video through API and I can't get the thumbnail. And videos are not embeddable until I choose a thumbnail in the Vimeo interface

Vaibhav Vashisth

Vaibhav Vashisth

Hello! I'm new in the world of Vimeo :) I uploaded my GoPro HD video few hours back and still not able to get thumbnail when I embed the video link... It will be a great help if you can check it. Thanks!

vimeo.com/85334241

Link: vimeo.com/85334241

Jeff Soyk

Jeff Soyk

For my Tumblr page I have had video posts which show a thumbnail for the video, but ever since this past Friday (when Vimeo was shut down), the video thumbnails no longer show. Has something changed? Thank you for your help!

Link: jeffsoyk.com

Oyuela

Oyuela

Hi! the same is happening to me. My video is vimeo.com/104451266
When i post it on facebook i get color bars instead of the pic i selected
Any help will be great!
regards

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

There's a bug right now where some clips aren't generating thumbnails. We'll have this fixed soon!

Drifting Visual

Drifting Visual

I have the same probem as the older posts, when uploading my video vimeo.com/124688523
the thumbnail appearing when sharing the video is just bars of colors, instead of the thumbnail I selected.
Can you please fix this or explain me how?
thanks

Lien: vimeo.com/124688523

Drifting Visual

Drifting Visual

when i try to share it on facebook or other websites the thumbnail that appears is still the color bars of vimeo....

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

If your video isn’t embedding properly, you can usually fix that by running it through Facebook's debugger tool: developers.facebook.com/tools/debug

Paste in your video link and click "Debug." Once the video information appears, click "Fetch New Scrape Information" and then try posting your video on Facebook again. 

I did this with your video and it is now showing the correct thumbnail on Facebook. Note that this is not retroactive and previous posts of your video will still show the old thumbnail/color bars.

Dennis Overeem

Dennis Overeem Plus

I also have some difficulties with my thumbnails. I doesn't show the thumbnail I choose but a random pick. drives me nuts. what can i do??
thanks, Dennis

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Can you link to the video(s) that aren't returning thumbnails? Are you using the API to get thumbnails?

Xerfi Canal TV

Xerfi Canal TV PRO

When i try to replace video using the PHP API, thumbnail with color bar do not change !!
Can i replace thumbnail with one another using PHP API ?

thanks.

Lien: vimeo.com/117603467

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.