Sarah

Sarah PRO

While I love many things about vimeo, I find it extremely irksome that it's impossible to set a password for the whole site, which can then be given to family and friends to see all videos. Similarly, it's annoying that one can't search tags for videos set to private. Is this to dissaude from setting videos to private? I don't get it.

My videos are of friends and family and I want them to be private. BUT I also want to allow select people to browse my whole video collection + to search tags (such as names, dates, etc) once the password has been entered, just as other sharing websites like smugmug allow.

Can't vimeo do something like this? As it is, family and friends can't browse my videos without logging in as me. And the only way to search my own video tags is to make them public to
everyone. What??!! There's got to be a better way.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Sarah,

Have you tried using an Album? You can put all of your videos in an album, set it to private, then once a user has the password they can search the contents.

Sarah

Sarah PRO

No, but I can guess I can do that. Is it possible to move all my videos into one album, or do I need to do them one at a time? I have over 1500...

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Sarah,

Currently you'd need to do it one by one :(

An alternative could be to make your videos private, allow embedding only on a certain domain, then embed a Hubnut widget into that domain so your viewers could watch the videos from one player on that page. However they wouldn't be able to search with this method.

vimeo.com/tools/widget/hubnut

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.