Lucky 13 Studios / Joseph Dunphy

To start out ... would it be too unforgivably cliched for me to write something like "whoo hoo"? :)

Finally, at long last, I have a videocam. Yes, I know, good ones can be had for a few hundred dollars, which might not seem like very much to a gainfully employed professional, but when you're living on a tutors salary, below the poverty line, it's a lot. So, it was a long wait, while I saved up cash, thanks being offered to whoever was listening that mom's people have as many recipes for rice and beans as they do, but now I have it. And the adapter and memory card, of course.

This brings us to step two. For shooting my first few videos - architectural shots, people making coffee, etc, I have what I need. But eventually, I was hoping to shoot ultra-low budget movies, little theater pieces on film (OK, on memory card) and I was wondering how people had found cast members in the past.

In particular, how did people find cast members on whom one could rely, when money wasn't being made?

My major concern was the actor who, in mid production, would develop a "my way or the highway" attitude, walking out when he was not indulged, forcing the director to choose between starting production all over again and wasting the time and effort of the rest of the cast, or letting him have his way. Then there was the person who'd just flake out and leave.

What I wondered was what one would do to screen out that kind of performer.

This all became a moot point when somebody showed up and decided to create drama, because I wouldn't feed his ego at the expense of seeing this question really get answered, at all. After he loudly insisted that there was no solution to the problem, I checked his page and he turned out to not be a director, at all. He was the sound effects and make up guy. When he was asked why he felt qualified to talk about how one would approach a problem in casting, he went on a ranting binge, warned me of the bad, bad things that would happen to me in the industry if I didn't kiss up to people like him, and stormed off.

He (or somebody on staff) deleted make up boy's posts. Some of my replies were deleted, as well, but not before I saved all but the last three comments I made - the last two, by sheer chance, being missed by whoever was doing the deleting. I saved a copy of the thread as it was at that point, and deleted those last two remarks, because they were now appearing out of context.

As I said, before comments started vanishing, this is where I gave up on getting a useful answer to this question, in this forum. Experience tells me that in Internet fora, temper tantrums like that one that our friend threw were very effective in shutting down serious discussions. I mentioned "the cowardice of the crowd", and I'll stand behind that remark without apology.

As I said in the previous version of this discussion, I do know a few directors in real life. I'll go ask them.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.