Windmill Films

Windmill Films

I've uploaded a few videos and was getting jerky playback and it seemed to stop once the whole video was loaded, then its played smoothly.

however I've been having reports back from people, who have let the video load and they still get jerkyness.

i'm using all the settings as recommended.

help please!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

there's no magic bullet solution but i can tell you what always seem to help when i noticed these problems:

• running the latest version of flash player.
  • restarting the browser.
  • closing other browser tabs -- especially if they have flash components running.
  • quitting other applications.
Windmill Films

Windmill Films

ok thanks for hints, but none of that seems to work! :-(

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

what are the specs on your system (processor speed, RAM, cache capacity)?

Windmill Films

Windmill Films

intel core 2 duo.

doesnt matter what I have, its all my friends who are all having the same problems.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

I'm trying a fix on your video, it will be ready for viewing in 5 minutes.

Nigel Barker

Nigel Barker

I don't know if this is your problem but if the video that you upload is 30fps then Vimeo does a horrible conversion to 24fps that makes the video jerky. This is an acknowledged problem but Vimeo either will not or cannot fix it.

I signed up a month ago & noticed it immediately. I contacted the support desk last week but my message has been ignored. I feel that I have been cheated of my $59.95 as Vimeo is pretty useless to me when I can't upload beautiful HD video from my Canon 5D Mk II without them looking like crap.

There should be a warning in large letters before you sign up that Vimeo will make your lovely 30fps video look awful.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Hi Nigel,

Actually we encode up to 25fps for HD and are currently testing 30fps. If you would like a refund just message me.

Windmill Films

Windmill Films

my video is originally 25fps.

I hear your pain, but 30fps is not a widely supported frame rate, as its never been a broadcast frame rate. I realise that in America 29.97 is, then its still not 30fps! ;-)

Victor Engel

Victor Engel Plus

Windmill Films, some cameras record only in 30fps, the Canon 5D II being a currently popular example. It is not 29.97 but 30.

Daniel, is there an estimate for when 30fps will be available?

Windmill Films

Windmill Films

Yeah I understand some cameras record at that frame rate, but what I'm saying is that its not a recognized broadcast frame rate.

Victor Engel

Victor Engel Plus

30fps can be rather trivially recoded to 29.97fps, though, should the need arise, so I didn't see that as a big deal.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

At this point 50% of HD videos are now being encoded to mp4 up to 30fps.

Victor Engel

Victor Engel Plus

I think I am missing the point you are trying to make. What do those stats have to do with the discussion?

Victor Engel

Victor Engel Plus

OK. You replied to a post about 29.97, so I got confused. So, suppose I upload a file that's already mp4 at 30 fps. Does it just get posted unaltered?

The Brothers Grinn

The Brothers Grinn Plus

I'm new to this, but my videos all seems to have at least one jerk (usually two) in them. They are always in the same places. Could this be from the HD conversion? Also the conversion seems to be dropping the last 10ish frames. Can someone help? I've followed all the upload guidelines and recommendations. My computer is a fast mac pro with 10 gig of ram, and a fast cable internet connection. Thanks in advance.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

can you give us a concrete example at a specific time in a video, that would help. Thanks.

The Brothers Grinn

The Brothers Grinn Plus

Sure...The Brothers Grinn Animated Logo stutters at 1 second in. The move is smooth in the video I uploaded, but it jerks here.

In Don't Serve to Minors: Store the problem is more obvious. At 29 seconds the video and the audio break up while the actor is saying "man". And the last few frames are cut off...I will fix this myself by adding more black, but I hope you know it seems to do that to all the videos.

The encoding on Mazda Furai Concept Car looks terrible from 4 seconds to 8 seconds, and then again from 19 seconds to 21, but the rest looks amazing.

Thank you for your quick response.

The Brothers Grinn

The Brothers Grinn Plus

I just re-encoded the Minors spot and it fixed the jump, but now there is a hitch at the front. I'm going to try again, but I have a feeling it is just an encoding issue. I'll try, try again.

Sandra Miller

Sandra Miller

I've been having the same problem as well as most of my viewers, with jerky playback and/or audio skipping in and out for about 2 weeks now. It doesnt 'seem to make any difference if the video is fully loaded or not or whether it's embedded or on the Vimeo site.

I've gone down the checklist multiple times and nothing seems to make a difference. Any other suggestions? If I load the same video to YouTube the problem goes away. I am not keen on using YouTube as I love Vimeo...help!

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

post an example link to something that's playing oddly and we'll check it out.

Martijn Doornenbal

Martijn Doornenbal PRO

Two of my videos are experiencing trouble with playback. I tried to watch it on a different computer with no succes.
Both videos are recently replaced with a different version, after that I noticed the jerky playback.

Can you check these out:
vimeo.com/4181526
vimeo.com/3667132

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Do you let the video buffer before watching them? Can you be more specific about how is stutters? Does the audio go out, is it more just a dropped frame or two?

These videos play well for me.

Martijn Doornenbal

Martijn Doornenbal PRO

I let the video buffer before watching. It's like this: the audio stutters like every second or so. I see one frame that holds for a few seconds and then another frame. I'll have the same problem with some (1 out of 10 or something like that) HD video's from other users, so maybe it's just my computer (G5 PowerPC Dual 2.3).

Jordan Sharon

Jordan Sharon

I am having the same issues with a video I just uploaded. Playback is choppy, stuttering and pixels drop out. I am using the compression settings recommended by Vimeo. I have also updated my flash player and have watched it on multiple computers/browsers and the result is the same. The video plays fine in quicktime before upload. There is a lot of movement in the video, could this be part of the cause? If so, is there any way around this?

Here is the link:

vimeo.com/4785773

Please help. Thx.

Jordan Sharon

Jordan Sharon

Yeah, I figured the movement had something to do with the pixels dropping, but I've seen other videos on Vimeo with fast camera movement like my video that play much smoother. I've tried everything recommended by Vimeo to improve the stiuddering but none of it seems to work. Is there anything else that can be done?

Again, here is the link: vimeo.com/4785773

Thanks.

7luas

7luas

Iv'e just uploaded a video and it plays very choppy:
vimeo.com/4953477

Could someone from the staff plese take a look?
I've already tried other browsers.
Also my Flash player is ok and I have no problem watching other HD videos on Vimeo.

The original video has smooth animation, wich can be seen in youtube here:
youtube.com/watch?v=7ps6UpcMrg8

Thanks!

7luas

7luas

I just tried uploading again and the same problem happened.

Any ideas of how I could fix this?

Northlight Pictures

Northlight Pictures Plus

I´m having problems with dropped frames and jerky playback too. Lots of action, so that may be the cause, but are there any specs to make video smoother? Followd your HD guidelines when making this so that shouldn´t be the problem. Maybe I just have to downconvert to SD... vimeo.com/4729734

Andy Pontin

Andy Pontin

OK I am clearly doing somehting wrong here..
vimeo.com/5171793

5D Mk11 fottage rendered to mp4 by Sony Vegas. Plays fine on my PC and looks great, not jerky etc.

I probably need to reset some of my settings when I render but can anyone spot anything obvious here?

KJ

KJ

I'm having similar problems too, stuttering and pixelation. Maybe my cut is too quick. However, my older movies seem to be fine.

I've reloaded the video again and again, over the past few days in many different settings.

vimeo.com/5195194

Nigel Turnbull

Nigel Turnbull

I have uploaded my first HDV video 1280x720 (PAL 25)as per vimeo guidance.
vimeo.com/5334536
Playback on Firefox is good. Playback on IE8 is terrible with VERY jerky pans and zooms.
Same on two different windowsXP machines both with latest Flash player.
Any real positive advice would be appreciated.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.