Thomas Malkowicz

Thomas Malkowicz Plus

I am working in Final Cut Pro with HD video and compress everything to H264 and Im not happy with the way it looks on Vimeo. I see so many great videos that have much higher quality that are using the same equipment as me so I think it has something to do with the way I'm exporting.

This is my latest video vimeo.com/5724483.

The pixillation is killing me.

Is it the Compression type, the aspect ration, or some other issue that Im unaware of.

MASIVA FILMS

MASIVA FILMS

you export it directly from fcp to compressor and used the h264 lan stream codec or what?

Edwin de Leeuw

Edwin de Leeuw

I find it pretty good quality... (see my comment under your shot).

Menomenation

Menomenation

You need to look at your entire work flow. Garbage in, garbage out. You also need to recognize that vimeo will ALWAYS re-compress your source file anyway. Assuming you start with quality video (which is hard to tell sometimes) make sure you are editing in Pro Res. (I don't use a mac so bare with me). Whats your intended output? If it's online only than you can safely edit in 720P but some prefer to edit in 1080 and output to 720 and save an archive grade 1080 version. For Vimeo output at 1280x720 h.264 VBR 6-9mb or HIGHER up to the 500mb upload limit and use 2 pass compression!

I would also note that loss less codecs are your best option for editing but you need lots of disk space (and perhaps faster drives). This is especially true if your using a lot of effects or doing color correction, etc. Pro Res is NOT a lossless codec as far as I know but it's decent. If your not getting the results you want then edit in uncompressed RGB (Cross your fingers that your drives are fast and you have tons of space!) or consider cine form or whatever other lossless codec you have available. I'm told that Huffyuv is available on the mac and it's highly recommended. You'll need some disk space but it's fast and free. Your video doesn't look bad but maybe it could look a little better. Web delivered video still leaves a lot to be desired and certain things just don't compress well, fast motion, water, etc. Good Luck!

KalenXI

KalenXI

My HD workflow going from Final Cut Pro to Vimeo is I edit in FCP using Apple ProRes, export as ProRes. Use MPEG Streamclip to recode to Avid DVxHD and then encode to 5mbps H.264 using Handbrake.

Personally, I hate Apple's Compressor. It takes an eternity to encode things, doesn't use all 4 of my cores, and doesn't give me any control over advanced encoding options like the motion estimation algorithm.

And remember that no matter what you do, Vimeo is reencoding your video to 2mbps H.264. So all you can do is make the source video look as good as possible.

airtight

airtight

Hi Thomas,

your equipment is fine. Your movie is in broadcast YUV format and need to be remapped to the RGB full range values during vimeo file preparation.

Morten Normann Almeland

Morten Normann Almeland Plus

What I did was to export it fram Final Cut Pro 7 - en then used Handbreak tool.. But if I could do it from Final Cut Pro in one operation I would behappy!"

Mark Waters

Mark Waters PRO

U can do it straight from final cut. Go file, export, QuickTime conversion, then choose mpg 4, from pulldown menu at bottom, then options, h264, 5000 bits, choose aspect ratio and you are done. For a better explanation please subscribe to my page and message me.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.