skyhigh

skyhigh

The uploader is a cool desktop app but it seriously needs one more feature: have it check when file is finished encoding and then start the upload.

My projects typically take 1.0 to 1.5 hours to encode. I should be able to add the *incomplete* file to the desktop uploader queue and have the uploader automatically detect when the encoding/compression is finished writing to the file and only then upload the file at that point to Vimeo. You can use file system calls like when the output/append file handle is closed on a file and then start the upload of the file. Just poll it every few minutes.

I really like to upload at night through my cable modem when bandwidth usage is less of a problem. If I start encoding my latest movie file before I go to bed then it'd be nice if the Vimeo Desktop Uploader would also upload the file for me automatically when its done. That way, Vimeo will have both received the new movie file *and* finished encoding it when I'm on the computer the following morning.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

i honestly don't know if it's even possible for AIR to detect and process the source file encoding status the way you are describing but do you know of any applications that does something like this?

skyhigh

skyhigh

Can AIR check the file size?

I use Adobe Media Encoder and when it creates the new video output file, it creates it with exactly 0 bytes until the file is completed. When the file is no longer 0 bytes in size, then the Vimeo uploader can proceed with upload.

I'm assuming though that AIR provides API calls to check file size which would be a handy feature that is also in keeping with its cross-platform nature because files, no matter the platform, always have a size associated with them.

Finn Ross

Finn Ross

if you could set a watch folder for the uploader it would be amazingly useful, or some how intergrate it with Adobe Encoder or Apples Compressor.

Josh Reichlin

Josh Reichlin Plus

Perhaps something could be done with Automator + Applescript and/or a program like this: noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

But I really would have no idea to insert that information into an Air app.

Kevin Dooley

Kevin Dooley Plus

I second this - I would love for the uploader to allow setting up a watch folder... would make my weekly render and upload fully automated, since all the other versions (podcast, web streaming, etc.) automatically upload now...

RealityLA

RealityLA PRO

How are you doing your automatic uploads for the podcast and web streaming/ Compressor script, or a watch folder, or something else?

Kevin Dooley

Kevin Dooley Plus

We use an Automator function with the FTP program Transmit. I then set up a cron schedule to run the Automator script.

Sam Beebe

Sam Beebe Plus

I would like to learn more about Automator + Transmit = Vimeo upload.

Kevin Dooley

Kevin Dooley Plus

Using Automator, I built an app that will have Transmit connect to a specific FTP location and sync it with a specific local folder - any file not present on the FTP site, but in the local folder will upload. I then used a program called CronniX (code.google.com/p/cronnix/) to run the app that automator built at a specific time every Sunday (in our case).

Kevin Dooley

Kevin Dooley Plus

Once you install Transmit and then run automator - that half should be fairly self-explanatory if I remember correctly.

Kevin Dooley

Kevin Dooley Plus

There isn't one to my knowledge. My point was that allowing a watch folder or FTP access would help with automation.

Pneumatic Music

Pneumatic Music

I third this request! This would make life a little bit easier.

Flick Harrison

Flick Harrison

I beat u .com had an uploader app that did the encode and upload on your system - meant no worries about getting your work re-encoded on the server end, nor waiting and waiting to see your video to get encoded on that end either. Effectively distributed the encoding process to the client systems, smart for them and quicker upload for us.

Lief Media Group

Lief Media Group Plus

Maybe with the new FCP-X and the new Compressor, vimeo could partner with Apple to do a 3rd party plugin. I bet there would be a way to "publish" from Compressor to Vimeo...

jonathanportelli

jonathanportelli

Would it be feasible to create a private ftp login for each account and that way use the FTP features built into Adobe Media encoder and others to automatically upload?

1Kult

1Kult Plus

Hi !

I couldn't find the uploader program on Vimeo... I wat to download a new version, beacause I have an old version (0.9.5.4) and it won't work apparently witl Mac OS Lion...

Do you know where it is ?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

The desktop uploader has been decommissioned due to some bugs. We plan to spend some time on fixing these bugs and adding few features in the future.

Variables Of Light

Variables Of Light Plus

will old version still work? sometimes internet cuts out overnight and really loved being able to pick up where it dropped off.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

One of the reasons why we decommissioned it is because we had our users reporting issues with uploading using desktop uploader which we couldn't readily reproduce on our end. If you have the older version, yes, you can still use it.

1ProPhotoCom

1ProPhotoCom Plus

Thanks for posting the Vimeo .AIR app
It works soooo much better than the web interface.

"Hey Vimeo, give us options!"

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

As I stated above, we do plan to introduce a version with bug fixes and add on features in the future.

Kevin Dooley

Kevin Dooley Plus

This would explain why I couldn't find the installer - is this actually posted any where easy to find on the site cuz I spent half an hour looking for it.

At any rate, is there an expected release date for the new version of the uploader?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We don't comment on ETA of active or future projects but it's slated for next year.

Kristen Pengelly

Kristen Pengelly Plus

I have used Vimeo for over a year for a college course I teach...are you now saying that I have to manually download the 23 student videos? Yikes. That's a major time-waster for me. Is there any option to upload more than one video at a time?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

I'm not sure what you mean by "manually download" but a multiple file upload function is something we're currently working on and hope to beta test soon.

Kristen Pengelly

Kristen Pengelly Plus

Having to upload, wait, click back, upload, wait, click back - that's what I mean by manually download. It'd tedious when I have to get 23 short videos up online fast. Would love to be in the beta testing for multiple file upload function!

Clay Alchemist

Clay Alchemist

What ever happened to the Batch Upload Tool from like three years ago? Seriously, this is the most basic function for people that are uploading two or three videos a day. I haven't even considered using Vimeo for my 365 day project because of this. It is too tedious.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

We'll have something cool to address this need, relatively soon but we have discontinued support for the desktop uploader.

Remo Pini

Remo Pini PRO

It seems kind of dense to remove a much used feature (desktop uploader) without having a replacement ready... I just switched computers after having used the desktop uploader regularely... guess what... no longer available... annoying as hell and NOT very customer friendly... *sigh*

Stephen Santinelli

Stephen Santinelli PRO

Hi Daniel, I have just opened a Pro account to upload almost 600 2-3min videos. I need to advise my boss some timetable intel. Can you advise me about when "relatively soon" will occur?

Also, how can I set categories or folder to organize 3-10 videos under a specific title?

Thanks,
-Steve

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We are currently beta testing the new Vimeo which has multi-upload function.

vimeo.com/new

You can use albums to organize your videos.

La Victoire de l’Amour

La Victoire de l’Amour

Bad news : New Vimeo isn't as cool as the good old and simple desktop uploader tool which was working perfectly before this week. I can't understand why Vimeo clearly don't want us to use that tool. WHY ?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

It's be delisted because it had some serious and reproducible bugs that we couldn't resolve at this time. We plan to work on the next version of the desktop uploader sometime this year.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.