Chris Wilmshurst

Chris Wilmshurst

I would love Vimeo to have a bandwidth limit for the uploads, when ever I upload using it. It drains my connection and makes browsing anything else extremely slow.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

hmm. that's an interesting request, chris. most of the times we get people asking us if we limit the bandwidth (we don't) and to stop it if we do so. just for clarification... which uploader are you using (desktop? web based flash uploader?) and does it make any difference when you try different browsers?

Chris Wilmshurst

Chris Wilmshurst

I'm using the Desktop uploader in Windows 7. (as for some strange reason, the web based uploader (flash and non flash, does not work in any browser).

It drains my connection when I hit. "Upload"

Multiplecities

Multiplecities

I still think Chris' original idea is good: I share bandwidth with other users and when I upload, they're not too happy as you can imagine. I'm using the latest version of the uploader for Mac OS 10.5.

Number 6

Number 6

I'd like to add my +1 for this request too.
I'm also using the Desktop uploader on Windows 7.

As soon as I click Upload, my upstream bandwidth is swamped, and web browsing slows to a crawl

Nebraska Entrepreneurship

Nebraska Entrepreneurship

I would love this feature. Uploading big files kills our internet connection for everyone using it. If I could limit it and save a little bit off the top for browsing I wouldn't have to save every upload for night.

Hubert Cheng

Hubert Cheng

My roommates can't play games as I'm uploading 1080p footage. They are moving out because I can't control how much I can upload!

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

We're looking into adding this to the next version of the Desktop Uploader. Up until this point I don't believe it's been possible to do bandwidth throttling with Adobe Air (the platform we use to write the Desktop Uploader). However they just released a new version and we've been researching it's new capabilities. Hopefully we'll have this feature, but it still might be a technical limitation. There's no timeline for when we'll release it at the moment-- it's a major update and we are still in the researching phase.

In the mean time if you are technically minded you can use a Proxy to do bandwidth throttling. Here at Vimeo we use Charles: charlesproxy.com

Bethel Web Development

Bethel Web Development Plus

Couldn't you just break a file into smaller pieces? For example, you could send 5 seconds worth of data at a time, and delay 20 seconds between chunks. Just run a sliding window protocol on the server side and re-request only the packets that are missing.

This would also help with the interrupted file download issue.

Apsulis

Apsulis Plus

Hi Andrew :)

In order to limit bandwith during upload, it's possible to use ipfw (if using Mac OS X or Linux) like we can do with dailymotion.

But I can't arrive (I've not search for long ;-) ) to identify which pattern is matching the connection to your upload server. Maybe the "-in-f" pattern is concerning your Uploader, but I'm not sure. Is there a way to simply identify this connection with netstat or lsof ?

If there is, I could write a very small ticket about this on your wiki or on your collaborative tool (if there's one :) ).

Thanx and have a good day !

Bethel Web Development

Bethel Web Development Plus

I've got a router that enforces QOS. When I upload I can't use any other internet resources--email, browsing, etc. And I upload 1/2 hour shows-takes at least an hour and a half to upload.

The Creek Church

The Creek Church PRO

What's the status on this? We really need this because it drains the bandwidth of our entire church and offices when we are uploading video files. Thanks.

Lifezone

Lifezone

This would be a great feature, whats the ETA?

Ben Bunch

Ben Bunch Plus

I would also like to see this. Uploading things massively screws up downloading on my network, which it will do if you're using all of your up bandwidth. Some way to limit it is a must. Simply letting us enter a maximum value in kbps would be great.

Oley Valley Mennonite Church

Oley Valley Mennonite Church

We would love this, too! We currently upload via browser (Chrome), and it just decimates the rest our web-based work for the duration of the upload.

Chadical

Chadical

I have been requesting this from every video/media web based vendor under the sun for over 4 years. Product managers need to take this to task, and fully understand how it affects the consumer take away experience of these types of products.

It's easy, just assign it to a dev team, and ask them to remedy it.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Actually it's not easy. Browsers don't give development access to cap bandwidth usage. Even flash can't do it. This may account why you don't see other web apps offering this feature.

Chadical

Chadical

Actually it is. :-) No one needs a perfect bandwidth shaper solution, just web apps that don't get greedy. Pulse the uploads, either on the client or the server side...

Do you have control of the server side? You can limit the throughput on the receiving end.... there are ways to handle it at the web server level, app layer, tcp stack...

Also, on the client side with flash, you should have access to objects like NetStreamInfo, which should provide bytes per second info... so you don't have to "cap" bandwidth, you just pulse it... send a chunk, wait, repeat... instead of just cramming the pipe. The pulses allow other apps to get their time in pipe.

Rusty Rogers

Rusty Rogers Plus

Although this is a really old threadI was hoping to find a similar solution to a current problem.
Until recently all worked fine.
I'm using Chrome with AdBlock Plus enabled on Mac.
Vimeo uploads fine if I upload one at a time.
Using the multiple uploader all but the first upload fails.
Opening multiple tabs and attempting multiple uploads fails all uploads. (until recently, this was my typical workflow)
With only one upload working, all other web browsing is impossible. This also happens to all other computers on the local network.

Andrew Rice

Andrew Rice Plus

agreed - whenever i upload to vimeo, i cant use the web for anything else. no mail, no browsing internet, etc. really blows. I started using youtube instead.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.