matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

What are you trying to document?

What is your budget?

etc, etc...

Different projects would require different approaches, since, I assume, money is an object (as opposed to money is no object, or barrier)

Sophia Luvara'

Sophia Luvara'

I have different projects, mainly observational fly on the wall but also interviews... ideally I'm looking for something versatile and easy to use because generally I'm by myself. I tried the D7 but had several problems, and the main one was the sound.

Cheers

Matthew Shaw

Matthew Shaw

i just returned from asia making a documentary, i primarily used the canon vixia hf s100... its consumer level and really nice to use. pick up a lens for it and attachable mic and your set. the sound quality is wonderful. i used a digital recording device for all my interviews as well but the sound on the camera is excellent. its small and easy to use as well. only prob is if you have shaky hands you may want to get yourself a steady cam. but with a tripod and some practice you can really do some really neat stuff.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Canon XF305 is nice. We're about to get one for our cops show. Saw it at NAB. Good for run and gun. Pricey, but so is everything. Good options for sound.

Canon 7D DSLR rig, but with Zoom h4n for sound. Of course, any DSLR rig will need something like an h4n to go with it.

The trade off is you get more cinematic footage with DSLR rigs, but no real run and gun capability with all the manual focus and the sound issues.

But then I've seen one or two good videos come out of the HD mini-camcorders, consumer level, if you're creative and want a challenge.

Sophia Luvara'

Sophia Luvara'

That's great, thanks. When you say HD mini-camcorders do you mean something like Canon HD20? cause I've got one and imagine is good but again the sound it's terrible...

I'll check out the XF305

Cheers

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Yuh, the HD20. I didn't say the sound came out great, just the end video looked nice. ;) You'd still need a separate audio recorder like the h4n or ntg.

But ya get what ya pay for!

Sophia Luvara'

Sophia Luvara'

was wondering why would you go for a canon instead of a sony like Z1 or EX1,3 ect ?

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

The EX1/EX3 are great cameras. The Canon records with a better codec, but it has a smaller sensor. It's a tradeoff. An EX1 with a nanoflash will kill the Canon, but will cost more.

All about choices.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

I go with Canon SLRs by choice. Canon camcorders by choice of my bosses above me. :) Price oft wins. Works for gov't contracting [on the space shuttle one astronaut turns to the other and says: "how does it feel to be flying in something that a guy said he would spend to the least amount of money to make?" hahaha]

So I'm most familiar with Canon products. My pops winces at Canon, he's strictly Nikon SLRs by choice.

My market's biggest competitor relies heavily on Sony camcorders, but when we looked into them, we, at the time, didn't like the storage options. And of course the price issue solidified their decision.

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

You do realize that the Canon's are more expensive than the Sony in the same market segments? The XF is going to be nearly $1k more than Sony it's competing with. And it's bringing a smaller sensor to the game.

And I am a Nikon SLR guy myself after spending a lot of time on Canons...

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

I don't think the my dept heads have seriously looked at Sony in two years. They saw the XF at NAB, and they were sold on it. Maybe they just like Canon a lot.

I have a feeling my dad would like you a lot too. Ha ha ha.

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Well, have your bosses at least LOOK at the Sony EX1r. Larger sensor, records to the same media, $800+ cheaper. If they aren't doing green-screen, and don't need the 4:2:2, it's a smokin deal.

I'd think the Canon would be the better deal if it was cheaper. Or had a larger sensor. Or both.

Kevin Ahronson

Kevin Ahronson

What a crazy question. Everyone, including me, will tell you how wonderful their own kit is.

I love my JVC HD200 with Firestore FS-5 harddrive, but I also love shooting with my Canon DSLR's.

We are all just too spoilt for choice.

Oscus Media Ltd

Oscus Media Ltd Plus

I have the XF 305 and the results are fantastic. Although the chip is smaller than the EX1 the lens is designed to go with the chip. I have tried out the EX series in HD and the canaon and the canon comes out a clear winner. Remember is you don't need HDSDI out of the camera you can get the XF300 which is about £1000 cheaper

Danny Harmon

Danny Harmon

Do we know what price the XF100 and 105 are going to be?
DH

steven potter

steven potter

well i shoot with a bolex h16,,16mm film camera,,you people are so lazy,,you know nothing about making pictures,,just the push button crowd,there will come a time in the future where your camera will film a movie by itself and wont need you to push its button,,,lol,,

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

LOL!!!

Very few people these days have shot film, or would even know what to do to expose it properly. That said, it's counterproductive to rail on folks.

I am sure MANY here could learn from your experiences, so why not share some of it. Honestly, I'd like to know what lenses and emulsions you're shooting on the Bolex. I have a friend who bought one recently, and I've been tempted myself.

Bryce Conlan

Bryce Conlan

I'm an all digital guy but there is nothing like shooting on a Bolex.... its something about the sound of the film running through the camera that gets me every time

chris cheramie

chris cheramie

I would like to know if that would be a good choice for underwater photo. I agree with Perrone Ford. Teach us, but don't belittle us.

Raoul THEEUWS

Raoul THEEUWS

And till recently I was shooting with a BOLEX double 8 mm!
Is this than a .... "reference" for others?

????
!!!!!

jules.tv

jules.tv

Hi
I shoot reality docs (BBC/ITV/MTV).

I would advise getting the ex1/ex3 or z7.

Self-shooting and directing this kind of work means you need easy audio controls and everything to work without too many add ons. Also bigger cams are easier to handhold, rigs are too cumbersome.

j

Good Wizard Films

Good Wizard Films

I am going to shoot a doc, without using much tripod. The subject is human rights related and sometimes point, shoot and run. But there will be some tripod shots with beautiful focus whenever possible, but not much. And a few night shooting with candle light.

Pictures don't need to be academy award winner's cinematography all the time. But of cuz I want to make a great film, in the limits I am allowed.

I am thinking about Sony Z7. Please comment on it or any other recommendation? My budget is around 5000 $.

Olivier Le Blanc

Olivier Le Blanc

You could get the XF-100 and use the remaining funds on quality mics? When doing documentaries, sound is sometime more important than images...

The camera is light and you can move around easily in the field. A monopod would be a good idea to run and gun.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.