Khan Hannan

Khan Hannan

I am not sure if it is currently possible via Vimeo, but it would be great if Vimeo gave us an opportunity to monetize our original content (through pre or post rolling) like some of the other video content provider. I believe, Vimeo could also get some benefit from this.

Is this a feature anyone currently looking at? Or at least provide this option for the "Plus" members. Currently Brightcove, BrightRoll and Revver provide these options.

Thanks.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we've always looked at this space with some interest and perhaps someday we can implement a solution but for now please note that vimeo is for non-commercial use only as defined in our terms of service.

Dragan Stiglic

Dragan Stiglic Plus

Soxiam, this will be a mistake not to do : ) At this moment - you're holding most quality content and have unique potential to additionally monetize on it. I understand your current model, and if you guys start thinking in this direction, please please contact me as I have my head dipped into alternative TV distribution business models for quite a while.

Ed K

Ed K

this would be a win/win for vimeo and producers. Those who do not want to have ads don't have to. but for some content creators, this would help offset the high cost of some types of content.

redfitz

redfitz PRO

I agree. I respect an appreciate Vimeo's current policy and believe that it should remain. But it would be easy enough to have a free and a paid part of Vimeo. Most videos would remain free but if those who need to make a living in production (such as myself) at least have the option of building ads into videos and/or charging something for access, it would only make vimeo even more of a destination for those who want the best content available online.

The particular opportunity, I think, would be to find a way to make both the ad supported and the charge for content model available to content creators on a video by video basis AND enable both for embeds. If we (or anyone) had the option of embedding a video anywhere that was ad supported or forced people to pay something (through a vimeo account) to watch it, it would be a win for all involves. Content creators have complete control over monetizing their content and are able to. The public suddenly has access to a huge amount of the web's best content wherever they are around the web. And Vimeo attracts tons more users and revenue by requiring those who don't have accounts to create one (for free) in order to watch certain paid videos.

Cleeng

Cleeng

Hi there - we came up with a nice work-around for some video platforms to sell PPV, including a solution for Vimeo Pro. Meaning: you can, within no time, sell your VIMEO videos. Have a look at our blog post on this. See link.

Link: cleeng.com/blog/cleeng-play-video-monetization/

Jason Wettstein

Jason Wettstein

vimo will lose out to other video hosts that will after all if we can not generate income content alternatives suffer

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.