Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Hi everyone,

We've just released an unlisted privacy option! You can read all about it over on our blog: vimeo.com/blog/post/share-unlisted-videos-with-private-links

Here's how it works:

• If you’re a Plus or PRO member, go to your video settings and choose “Only people with the private link.” Or, select this option when you’re uploading.
  • Once you save your changes, you’ll be given a private URL to copy and send to people you choose.
  • Only people with this link (and people those people share it with) will be able to see your video page. It will be hidden from other groups, channels, search results, and other places on vimeo.com, and people won’t be able to find it through third-party search engines either.
Ram Kelkar

Ram Kelkar

The need to set a password and/or require others to sign up for Vimeo makes the current "Private" settings very onerous. Vimeo should add another kind of privacy choice that allows users to share video clips privately without actually having to set the video to private. An "Unlisted" option would allow anyone with a link to the video watch it but it will not show up in search results, user profiles etc.

Quadster

Quadster

After seeing yet more requests about privacy vimeo.com/forums/topic:32998 (which seems to be an significant topic that users keep bringing up) I'm wondering what exactly is the reason for Vimeo not liking 'soft' privacy, and also what would Vimeo consider to be 'hard' privacy (i.e. privacy done to their satisfaction).

If Vimeo cared about the privacy of its customers then surely it would be having an open discussion about ways of implementing privacy correctly, rather just saying that users have to put up with having no privacy whatsoever.

Victor Gutarra

Victor Gutarra

The unlisted option is the only reason why I still use youtube instead of vimeo.

AVCHD User

AVCHD User

Aside of a video being unlisted I want to have an option for it to be "anonymous", that is, to ensure that it is not possible to track an owner of this video and its other videos. I want to give out a link just to a video, having a totally random URL and having no information about the uploader, or maybe just the kind of information I would like to give away for such an anonymous video.

Quadster

Quadster

@ AVCHD User, this is *EXACTLY* the feature that I am desperately looking for too.

I'd like to be able to post an anonymous link to one of my videos that does not result in people being able to see every other video I've put up. Additionally, I don't want the whole world figuring out my Vimeo username and then going through all the information on my profile (which is why I have left my profile as blank as possible). If I want to share my user information with people then I will giving them a link to my profile page.

I upgraded to Plus because when I saw that the blindingly obvious anonymous feature was not available as standard, I assumed that it would be available after I upgraded to Plus. Clearly this was not the case, as I found out after reading this:

vimeo.com/forums/topic:30713#comment_3995909

It is highly impractical to expect users to password protect every single video they've made just so that they can show one video publicly. Likewise is expecting the user to force everyone that they know to sign up to Vimeo just so that the video can be limited to certain contacts.

It's a shame that privacy seems to be way down the list of priorities for net companies these days (if not dismissed outright).

Kristi TAIKO

Kristi TAIKO

I second the unlisted video option. It would be way more convenient than sharing password-protecting videos. It is easier to just share a link, than to have to share a link + password, and have enter some password before viewing the video.

Youtube seems to have unlisted videos now.

brechtvideo

brechtvideo Plus

have a youtube and vimeo account. This unlisted idea is really the only thing that keeps me ... away :( Make Vimeo really "personal" and you have me

Fabio

Fabio

I'd also kind of need that
among the impressive choice of privacy, it's a shame the unlisted option is not there, though to me seems quite straightforward to add

Ferris Family

Ferris Family

I agree. I'm not sure why I can share videos with youtube and pictures with picasaweb using a link privately, but not on Vimeo. I too signed up for a Pro account hoping that there would be additional privacy options that included the ability to share videos with a link.

Josh Clarke

Josh Clarke

Same here! Unlisted videos would be nice...

Mike Buffington

Mike Buffington

I'd like to see that feature, and the anonymous video feature sounds useful as well.

Romanek

Romanek Plus

I agree with everyone above in wanting a soft privacy option (discreet link) that shows a single video – not every video I have ever loaded.

Vimeo should listen to their customers before we go to another company that does. When I switched to Vimeo Plus, I assumed this was possible only to find the rather cumbersome privacy setup presently in place.

VIMEO should add this or people will be leaving. I’m not renewing, if I don’t see this implemented.

milmeios filmes

milmeios filmes Plus

Yes, all of us want unlisted feature. I'm hearing this discussion for a long time but vimeo people simply ignore. I wonder if they are waiting for some other company comes up offering better features, specially for paid accounts, and start do loose their customers.

Charlie

Charlie

+1 for the unlisted feature.. There's nothing wrong with 'soft' privacy as long as you don't try to pass it off as more secure than it is. We're all used to using this type of feature and we understand the risks.
Thanks.

Romanek

Romanek Plus

I see from the Vimeo Newsletter that a few changes were made, but not this simple (and often requested) one. I moved my paid account to Vimeo from a competitor. Do you not think your competitors can read these forums and possibly offer us what we want? I think Vimeo is a very high quality product/service and respect the work you have put into it. However, if it doesn’t meet my needs, I’ll (and many others) will leave.

I want to be able to send a link to someone and they see only that video without having to use a password, without personally identifying me and without seeing every other video I have on Vimeo.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Can you give us a scenario when you would want to share a video with someone and not know its from you?

Henri Gander

Henri Gander Plus

It happens often when you send a video directly for a client A but that you're currently freelancing for a studio B, which sold to A that B was doing the job. Am I C-lear enough? ^^

Romanek

Romanek Plus

Blake,
It should not be assumed that all Vimeo members are budding film makers who wish to share their creative handiwork with the whole world. There are many instances where I would provide a link, but not want my name to be on it or directly associated (I do this all the time with Google Picasa for photos; I wish I could do the same with Vimeo for videos). Many people wish to maintain a level of privacy and not share everything on the internet.

Examples include:

1. For posting a video link to sport/activity related forums & discussions where you wish to share the content of the video, but not have your personal name/details noted. Example: you are business professional, but don’t want your clients to come upon pages of base jumping forum threads when they do background checks on you.

2. You think the given video will be further forwarded/imbedded on other sites/blogs that you also don’t want to have your name associated with

3. You want to discreetly show one single video, without a reference to every other video you have on Vimeo.

My videos are as diverse as family, extreme sports and television interviews. Why would I want to show all of the above to people as varying as business colleagues or grandparents?

In brief, we should be able to send a link and say “look at this video” instead of “look at this video and every other video I’ve ever uploaded” without having to resort to password protection.

Quadster

Quadster

I find it astonishing that the need for anonymity / privacy has to be explained to Vimeo staff. Do they really think that it's normal to share everything about yourself with every person that you ever come into contact with? (even with millions of strangers on the internet).

Think of it like this; showing one of my Vimeo videos allows people to find and watch every single other Vimeo video that I have created (regardless of topic) not to mention allowing them to also view whatever information is on my profile page (including things such as my likes and my contacts etc).

How would you feel if sending one email to somebody allowed them to read every other email you had ever written (and also view all your contacts in your email address book?)

As M Romanek said: "we should be able to send a link and say “look at this video” instead of “look at this video and every other video I’ve ever uploaded” without having to resort to password protection".

Likewise we should not have to say to everybody that we know "please waste your time signing up for a Vimeo account that you don't want, just so that I can block you from seeing this video that I want to show to other people".

The existing methods of restriction have their place, but absolutely cannot be a substitute for a proper unlisted / anonymous method.

Of course, if Vimeo can't even understand why privacy is desirable in the first place, then it's no wonder that this site is so dismissive of the privacy of its users.

Scott Struzik

Scott Struzik

I too am waiting for the "Unlisted" feature, that's the only thing stopping me from switching from YouTube to Vimeo. I use YouTube to upload videos of my daughter doing cute stuff. I then post the link on my Facebook wall so that only my friends can see it. This effectively makes the video permissions limited to my Facebook friends. I don't want people to be able to search for and find a video of my daughter playing around in the bathtub because the world is a sick cruel place.

DoAn Forest

DoAn Forest Plus

+1 for an unlisted feature ... or at least a "hide from profile" feature ...

Michael Schmidt

Michael Schmidt

Here, here! I'd also like to see this feature added.

I am currently experiencing a bug with Vimeo where my private videos are not working when viewed through my private albums. With the "unlisted" option, this problem would not occur as anyone with access to the unlisted link would be able to view it, no extra password (or password bugs) to get in the way.

Stefan Ravn

Stefan Ravn Plus

another +1 for the unlisted feature. For now I'll have to use YouTube... bummer.

Michael Schmidt

Michael Schmidt

Those looking for alternatives to Youtube and Vimeo:

Try Viddler.com. They're free and offer a "secret url" feature. They're video widgets are also pretty cool.

Elliott Balsley

Elliott Balsley

I would also like the unlisted feature.
Example: I want to send a video to a professor for him to see. I don't mind if he sends it to friends or whatnot, and I don't want to bother them with the inconvenience of a password. But I use my Vimeo profile as part of a professional resumé, so I don't want certain things on it.

Mathias

Mathias

+1 for the unlisted feature. I just don't want to share everything with everyone and not bother people with remembering passwords for links they bookmark.
And after all, a password can be shared just as easily as an url, so it provides no added security, but a little more trouble for everyone. I don't mind the password option, but unlisted is needed.

james pearson

james pearson

+1 for unlisted. although not bothered about the anonymous video which seems to be a separate request.

Klustre

Klustre

I second the unlisted feature. Would love to post videos of work in progress and post that on my blog. Since I'm going to use my account mainly as a portfolio, I don't want (sometimes silly or even embarrassing) work in progress to be shown on my account. T.I.A.

Kinora Films

Kinora Films Plus

+1 for unlisted videos. Pleeeeeease. It would be fantastic to be able to preview work in progress for a client, without sending them a password or embedding it on my site.

NorthHouse Films

NorthHouse Films PRO

There is no good reason why the unlisted option isn't available. It is completely down to the user as to the level of privacy they implement, so why should an unlisted option not be taken seriously and passed off as a soft privacy measure. I simply want to embed videos onto my website whichcan not be viewed on my vimeo page, or be searched for in vimeo.

Full Creative

Full Creative

We'd love to use Vimeo for showing clients work. But unfortunately we can't, because it's much too cumbersome to ask clients to always enter a password to proof a video. This feature is so essential to any professional. YouTube is definitely inferior in terms of quality and user experience, but this one single feature forces us into their arms. Please Vimeo, do yourself and us a favor and make this feature a priority!

Peter R.

Peter R.

Here's my signature on this petition. Looking forward to this feature.

Travis Marshall

Travis Marshall

+1 for the ability to make a video unlisted. I'm a video professional and don't want people who watch my short films to be able to also view my family movies. But I also don't want to have to provide a password to EVERY family member every time when I post a new video to my family blog.

Cocofilms

Cocofilms PRO

Another +1 vote for the unlisted feature. Thank you!

Kevin Viner

Kevin Viner PRO

+1 for the unlisted feature. I'm an entertainer who posts videos of shows for clients sometimes, and don't like them indexed.

jv

jv

+1

BRIDGE

BRIDGE

+1 for unlisting

Diggler

Diggler

+1 for unlisting! Essential future feature.

hrdboiled

hrdboiled

I will not BUY a premium membership until this feature is added. back to youtube...

+1 for unlisting

Chad Kukahiko

Chad Kukahiko Plus

yes, please. add an 'unlisted' option please. pretty please with a cherry on top.

Josh Balt

Josh Balt

I have a film that I want to show to friends and family over the course of a few days, before I send it to festivals. I don't want just anyone watching it, (just friends and family) and I don't want them to have to sign up for a account either.

+1 for unlisted video's

scottkochman

scottkochman

i just realized how ridiculous it is that this doesn't exist. I have a friend who passed away and I have some video of us together being silly. It's clearly not professional. I just sent an overview video of my business to someone and they wrote me back an email..."liked the funny video of you with that girl..." What??? How did they watch that? I put it into another channel to keep it private. I guess the people who run Vimeo never feel the need to use their own product. How hard is it to code a "make private" checkbox? As soon as my plus membership runs out, I'm out of here....

Victor Gutarra

Victor Gutarra

+1 For the Unlisted, not anonymous but unlisted.

Old Dead Eye

Old Dead Eye Plus

Unlisted would be a good option yeah, but I think my suggestion of a 'Projects' section for video management would integrate into this idea quite well. Sometimes you want to upload videos that aren't really in the spirit of your current online presence and it would be nice to be able to upload them without making your online portfolio seem discombobulated.
I don't think anonymous is a good idea. If you want to do that sort of thing, just make a new profile.

Michael Mahoney

Michael Mahoney

+1 for unlisted. I hate having to give my family a password to view a video just meant for personal use.

Stracke Visuals Inc.

Stracke Visuals Inc. Plus

Please add an unlisted option. That way we can choose how the correct level of privacy for our videos.

I would like to be able to send a video to a client and not have it password protected because it can be a pain especially when that share it with their colleagues.

There are some videos that I need to host for clients but I don't want it showing up when people visit "my videos".

Please consider it!

cocomonk22

cocomonk22

I also am interested in a way to share private videos on Facebook without requiring passwords.

Jason Kennedy

Jason Kennedy Plus

SERIOUSLY? This thread has been up for a year and no progress has been made on either issue yet?

I too desperately want to be able to send unlisted links and I cringe at the thought of using YouTube for this feature - but I sometimes have to. And the ability to hide all my other videos from view when I only want someone to focus on what i sent them... this is paramount!

Please listen to your users!

Jason Kennedy

Jason Kennedy Plus

Thinking about this again. I've been toying with the idea of paying for the full Vimeo service, but the lack of this feature prevents me from using Vimeo exclusively. Something to consider...

Kathryn Peters

Kathryn Peters

I just signed up for a Vimeo account before realizing that a feature like this wasn't available. My issue is that I'm working on videos that don't belong to me - they belong to my employer - so sharing them publicly isn't an option. I do, however, need to embed them on an intranet, where users are already logged in and shouldn't have to enter a new password. That I can't do this is frustrating, especially as it means I have to continue searching for another video host.

James Yoneda

James Yoneda

I need this as well. I'm fine with soft privacy - I know search engines will find it, I know smart internet users will find it. But I just want to be able to share videos by URL, but *not* have them show up on my homepage. I understand the risks, but I still would like this feature.

Off to find another way to share videos instead...

The Perse School

The Perse School PRO

I have to say completely crazy that this option isn't available for pro customers. We were just about to sign up our business for pro and then realised just in time this key feature is missing.

Businesses want to be able to host professional video clips which they then embed on their website. They often don't want those clips listed in any other directory.

This 'soft security' option of unlisted would have been fine for us and I'm sure hundreds of other businesses. Too bad.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

PRO users do have the video review page they can share with people in private without requiring special access.

The Pierces

The Pierces

I'm fairly disappointed to see this thread. I finally bit the bullet and got Plus because I really need to get some baby videos out to family while they're relevant. The #1 best way to do this would be unlisted links without passwords. That is by far the best user experience for these things.

I'm not paranoid about someone hacking my facebook so they can get access to my precious baby videos. I'm not worried about these family members forwarding the link to other family members who aren't on facebook (in fact, I encourage it). I just don't want them publicly listed. Yes, it's "soft" privacy and it's exactly the level needed.

Count me as another person who is shocked to see vimeo so far behind youtube on this one. Especially given that they make it available to PRO users. At this point, you seem to just be trying to hit me up for $200/year instead of $60/year. That's not going to happen. In a year, I'm going to re-evaluate my options and probably take my business elsewhere.

Kip Zinger

Kip Zinger

Absolutely +1 for unlisted option. This is the only thing stopping me from making the switch from youtube.

Grant

Grant

I need the unlisted feature so I can embed a vid on a website and have it autoplay in the nice VIMEO player in an embed. Youtube does this BUT they also have suggested vids at the end which is annoying.

Peace Brigades International

Peace Brigades International

yes please. seems crazy we can't do this and surely its a doddle to implement? Vimeo please deal with this - another digruntled plus customer.

Lucas Milner

Lucas Milner

Hi there - I'd really like the 'Unlisted' option available - it makes sense and is a nice feature

Denno Productions

Denno Productions Plus

+1 for unlisted. It's crazy that this doesn't exist. Perfect for showing a client a draft of an unfinished spot (I searched around for this "video review page" thing mentioned by a staff member above, and it either doesn't exist, or is extremely counter-intuitive).

Jeremy Harmsen

Jeremy Harmsen Plus

I am a PRO member but can't seem to find this feature. I need it for showing my clients video drafts as well. Where is this available?

Jeremy Harmsen

Jeremy Harmsen Plus

Well, nevermind. I am a PLUS user. Why are you guys charging more for such a small thing?

Denno Productions

Denno Productions Plus

Yeah, I can now see that you all have a "terraced" enrollment plan. Rather Microsoft of you guys. It's unfortunate.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Your opinion is absolutely yours but if you want to take a full breadth of what we are offering and why, please feel free to read this announcement blog post: vimeo.com/blog:430

The Pierces

The Pierces

I've had a Vimeo Plus account since October. I didn't think the lack of an unlisted option would bother me that much, but it turns out it did. I just find myself not using vimeo to post videos to facebook due to the password requirement (which also wipes out thumbnails, making the post not very eye-catching). Instead I just upload the videos to youtube, which is free.

I wanted vimeo due to the higher quality option and the lack of advertising. I also liked being able to store the original file and having an non-website uploader program.

However, it just doesn't seem to be worth the money now, especially given that you could obviously implement it for Plus users but just want to ding us for that one single feature. As most users here show they don't want all the features of Pro, just the unlisted option which they can already get for a free youtube account.

From your point of view, people want something for free. But in reality, we are paying you for the LACK of a feature that other sites have for free.

I will not be renewing my subscription. My biggest regret is paying for a whole year instead of month-to-month. Otherwise I'd just go ahead and cancel now.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

I don't think comparing one service to another on feature by feature basis is a really fare. The unlisted video feature is something we've been thinking about. It's actually more difficult than you might imagine. However we know there's some demand for this and we will think about possible implementation in the future.

Ontario Innovation

Ontario Innovation

How could it be difficult? Couldn't you just do everything you do for a password protected video, but if the password is left blank by the user, the system checks this fact and does not require one when the link is visited?

The Pierces

The Pierces

I'm sorry, you've been "considering" and "thinking about" it for months now. Either commit to it and give a timeline, or expect to lose customers. Whether you think it's fair or not, youtube is your competitor.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Yes we have considering it for a while because, as I stated above, this turned out to be more difficult than we thought and we are using our limited resources on higher priority items right now. Sorry but we need to move through our queues with some massive projects we are currently working on before we can spend time on this feature.

By the way, I saw you mention above that you regret purchasing Plus. If you have purchased it within the last 30-days, you can request for a refund:

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/faq#refund

Ontario Innovation

Ontario Innovation

I'm pretty shocked by the responses by staff in this thread. A link to a refund page?

I just signed up for the plus account and am surprised that this basic feature is lacking. Why work through massive projects when small useful details are missed?

Pretty Damn Sweet

Pretty Damn Sweet PRO

Just because Vimeo has a sweet website doesn't mean they have a huge staff, y'all. You'd be surprised at how much of a monster software development can be as well. Soxiam made a very honest response, it's not rude, it's just the reality of their development pace right now - and it is fairly unusual for someone to give such an honest and direct window into where they're at. Keep in mind it cost time and money for Vimeo to even have people on this thread responding. We have definitely been heard, it's just about being patient now.

Don't get me wrong - it's a feature we need too. We all want this, but no product is perfect! Just go to YouTube if you need this. It's actually pretty gracious of Soxiam to link us directly to the refund page here. Less effort for you if you really do feel you were duped into getting pro. Few other companies would make it that easy for you. Voting with your dollars is the most effective way to incite these changes, so take them up on the refund if you're unhappy!

The Pierces

The Pierces

As I said above, I've had Plus since October. So no refund for me, unfortunately.

You'd go a long way by simply COMMITTING to bringing the feature to Plus. I bet most people could understand time and resource limits and cut you some slack. But the constant "we're thinking about it" has become rather frustrating.

Lynne Watanabe

Lynne Watanabe Plus

Hi Vimeo! I am also hoping that you'll soon have an unlisted Vimeo video/album feature (setting private for album with password seems like another barrier for viewers to hurdle). I love you, but you really need this feature! Thanks for listening.

Romanek

Romanek Plus

I haven’t looked at this thread in some time, though over a year ago, I was in the first page of replies requesting this very simple change. There are now many pages of people asking for this change.

A year ago, I noted that I wouldn’t renew my “Plus Service” if it was not implemented. Now due to inaction by Vimeo, I did just that. Why don’t you listen to your users?

Rich Harmel

Rich Harmel Plus

I am a PLus user. I would love to see this feature as well. In the meantime I had to set up a YouTube account for a couple of applications where the unlisted video option is a more desirable approach than the options offered by Vimeo.

The Bollmans

The Bollmans Plus

Yes... please move this up in the priority list. Unlisted would be the ideal privacy for all videos in my account.

Anne

Anne

Hi. I too would like to see this feature, or perhaps a way of archiving old videos so that upon entering into My Videos the only video available is the latest version of a cut. Thanks!

Jeremy Shuback

Jeremy Shuback

I completely understand that making something that search engines can't crawl is very hard and not worth the man power - what would be great is the ability to add a video that doesn't show up in my list of videos, but is public in every other sense of the word. I imagine that's what many others here are requesting as well.

Ontario Innovation

Ontario Innovation

Unlisted video should be a basic feature included with all plans, especially the plus plan. I have just signed up for plus and am quite surprised and disappointed by the lack of it.

What surprises me is that this is even an issue—how could this be complicated to implement? You have a security variant—password protected—that is exactly this, except it requires a password. Without knowing any details whatsoever, couldn't you just duplicate that security configuration but remove the need for a password input?

Other suggestions about anonymous videos is great too, but unlisted vids much more important!

Matteo Curcio

Matteo Curcio

Please add this unlisted feature. Right now I have to use youtube for that and it kinda sucks.

Bass Pig

Bass Pig

I was going to upload a couple of video clips as unlisted here, until I found out the feature does not exist. Youtube has been broken since April 16 (security error when uploading) and the last time something broke on Youtube, it was a good 5 months before they fixed it so I could upload again. So now I'm looking for another hosting service that offers unlisted video that I can link from my web site. Not Vimeo, apparently.

SYC Studios

SYC Studios

Unlisted is essential. The lack of this makes my vimeo account useless to me. The only reason I'm keeping it open is due to old links being in circulation. Very disappointing that you can't respond to a simple feature that seems to be highly requested.

Reeks of a bad business model and you should be ashamed.
Sean

Pretty Damn Sweet

Pretty Damn Sweet PRO

Hey SYC, you should probably switch to a tool that has the features you need then! Just because it seems simple doesn't mean it's easy to implement on the technical side. They responded a bunch in this thread already, but it's not that outrageous to think that there are at least a few higher priorities for Vimeo than pleasing this one little feature. You'd probably be a lot less frustrated switching to another service if this is the main feature you need from a video platform. YouTube has a great function for this - try them.

Lare Lekman

Lare Lekman Plus

I also second the unlisted feature, preferably with a password or scrambled link option.

A simple checkbox would solve this and satisfy everyone: "Hide this video from Vimeo.com, Search engines, Albums, Groups, Channels, but maintain the selected sharing option."

Unlike the current "Hide this video..." radio button, this would be an ADDITIONAL checkbox under the current sharing options - not one of them. So it would effectively replace the current "Hide this video..." radio button, and just hide the video without the need to register to watch it. This would support any selected sharing option, like "Anyone" or "Only people with a password", etc.

My reason for wanting this is that with lots of private videos the My Videos page becomes cluttered with the private thumbnails that are visible to all. Also, random Vimeo visitors do not need to see the private thumbnails of my videos. That's not private, really, and the current hiding option does not work with people who are not Vimeo users.

Please solve this, and thanks for otherwise great service!

Lare Lekman

Lare Lekman Plus

Additionally there seems to be a bug or inconsistency of some kind in the privacy / sharing settings: On my friend's Internet Explorer only my (3) public videos are visible. However, on my iPhone and MacBook - even when I'm logged out of Vimeo - I can see the password-protected Private video thumbnails on My Videos screen. The preferred way would be hiding the password-protected videos. Does the hiding of password-protected videos only work on IE, or what is causing this?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Lare. The password access to password-protected videos are stored in a cookie once you access them. Can you clear your cache and see if it prompts you for password again?

Ryan Geldermann

Ryan Geldermann PRO

Seriously, how hard is this to read what your users (many of us paying users) want? How hard can it be to add an "unlisted" feature? It would be so easy for you to be better than youtube overnight but it's things like this that prevent that from happening. It's very frustrating to see a company with so much potential not live up to it.

kengi

kengi

Ryan totally agree.

And why i need to share my children video with my business contacts, whenever i want to share my creative work only? Now you need two different vimeo accounts to separate your content.

I would pay for unlisted feature, and for this simple gadget:

"Quadster 1 year ago

@ AVCHD User, this is *EXACTLY* the feature that I am desperately looking for too.

I'd like to be able to post an anonymous link to one of my videos that does not result in people being able to see every other video I've put up. Additionally, I don't want the whole world figuring out my Vimeo username and then going through all the information on my profile (which is why I have left my profile as blank as possible). If I want to share my user information with people then I will giving them a link to my profile page.

I upgraded to Plus because when I saw that the blindingly obvious anonymous feature was not available as standard, I assumed that it would be available after I upgraded to Plus. Clearly this was not the case, as I found out after reading this:

vimeo.com/forums/topic:30713#comment_3995909

It is highly impractical to expect users to password protect every single video they've made just so that they can show one video publicly. Likewise is expecting the user to force everyone that they know to sign up to Vimeo just so that the video can be limited to certain contacts.

It's a shame that privacy seems to be way down the list of priorities for net companies these days (if not dismissed outright)."

Davide DB

Davide DB Plus

The strange thing about Vimeo is how they strive for appearing as a clever and light company with their light graphic, their cute messages and then they completely miss to listen to their customers. They continuously ask for feedback and then implement features in a obscure way.

Countless requests for this simple feature, several threads, paying customers like me remained unheeded.

I'm not going to renew my plus account without a so simple feature.

Chris Miner

Chris Miner

I've only actively used my vimeo account since upgrading to a plus account about a week ago. So it has taken me a week of active use, before I figured out that I needed this feature. I'm sure it isn't hard to implement. I'm sure I'd use it. I'm sure it is basic kit for any internet file sharing service. At some level, Vimeo is a file sharing service.

Raz Yalov

Raz Yalov Plus

+1 for unlisted! PLEASE!!!! So simple, so needed!!!!

Isabelle Carbonell

Isabelle Carbonell Plus

I need the unlisted feature as well! Have many clients who need this from me but cannot deal with a password. PLEASE IMPLEMENT> !!!!!

Pierre-Alexis Jasmin

Pierre-Alexis Jasmin Plus

Please IMPLEMENT!!!! I need this too. Like your service but will have to move to another provider.

Romanek

Romanek Plus

Quite disappointing. I was on this thread over a year ago then again about 6mo ago. I gave up on Vimeo and did as I said and didn’t renew in December when my Plus membership expired. I paid for “Plus” membership again this week after noting a new “hide from Vimeo” video setting.

Now upon trying it, I see it’s not the long requested “unlisted feature” and if even one of your videos is public every single “hide from Vimeo” video will be shown also.

I search this thread again and see that nothing has changed. VIMEO, If you’re answering your customer’s needs, I think this is a chance – I see pages of requests over a period of 1-2 years. Why is nothing being done?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

"Now upon trying it, I see it’s not the long requested “unlisted feature” and if even one of your videos is public every single “hide from Vimeo” video will be shown also."

No. You are seeing them because you are the clip owner but others won't see them.

Romanek

Romanek Plus

OK that is correct; after clearing my cache/cookies it doesn’t ask for a password. However, it asks the person to login to Vimeo, which is more onerous than typing in a password.

That doesn’t solve my problem. I’d much prefer a private link in the same manner as Picasa Photo albums allows.

Videos

Videos Plus

Add us to the choir requesting this feature. For award submission reels that needs to be submitted anonymously this is an ESSENTIAL feature. Unfortunately YouTube is not an option either due to their branding and suggested videos at the end.

This should not be a hard thing to implement. Basically it's just "Hide from vimeo", but ALSO show the video if the user knows the direct URL.

Grey Area Productions

Grey Area Productions Plus

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO LISTEN TO YOUR USERS AND MAKE THIS A FEATURE FOR ALL USERS????

How long is it going to take???

CreativeCapture.net

CreativeCapture.net Plus

Seriously. We need an unlisted option. Why else are we paying for accounts when we're not getting heard?

Michael Mahoney

Michael Mahoney

Vimeo folks, seriously. Really. Hello? I know you say this is hard and low priority, but c'mon, YouTube has had this forever. +1 This thread has been open for an awfully long time. I'm a Vimeo Plus member, and I end up having to embed my videos in my blog just to make them viewable by people other than those on Vimeo.com. It's frustrating.

ELEVATE VISUALS

ELEVATE VISUALS PRO

I've been needing this for a long time as well.

I like to upload versions of projects for clients to review...I dont want every other person in the world to be able to watch my revisions and different incomplete iterations of a project. I just want to be able to email and link and have them watch it...not have to deal with passwords or risk people seeing an un-password protected video. Just want a quick way to show someone a video without any barriers like forgotten passwords, etc.

Stefan Ravn

Stefan Ravn Plus

A year later and still nothing! You are really testing your users loyalty. I'll keep using YouTube...

John O'Rourke

John O'Rourke

Vimeo it's upsetting you don't listen to your users more. I'm just happy I'm within my 30 day period to receive a full refund. I don't see any benefit in having "plus" if you don't offer the unlisted option.

John O'Rourke

John O'Rourke

I just bought my plus account a little over a week ago. Unfortunately, if this isn't an option before my 30 day refund period I'll be getting the 30 day refund. This is something that I need and that Vimeo SHOULD have

Ezequiel

Ezequiel Plus

wont get plus until i see the unlisted feature...

because i can project

because i can project

Agreed. An unlisted option needs to be implemented. Please take action on this very simple request from your users.

John O'Rourke

John O'Rourke

is this in the process of being implemented? can a staff member please honestly answer this

matbic

matbic PRO

This is a really big problem with Vimeo for me. The unlisted feature is very badly needed indeed. Please let us have it asap!

CreativeCapture.net

CreativeCapture.net Plus

It's really sad how long this thread has been open with absolutely no solution. Just look at all the plus and pro accts here... Just imagine the amount of money we've all paid. A minimum of $60 multiplied by the MANY & MANY users here complaining.

And if that wasn't enough, the last response from their HELPFUL and CARING staff was a pathetic attempt to pretend like they didn't understand our problem, and then an even more pathetic solution, that they knew wasn't satisfactory:

""Now upon trying it, I see it’s not the long requested “unlisted feature” and if even one of your videos is public every single “hide from Vimeo” video will be shown also."
No. *You* are seeing them because you are the clip owner but others won't see them."

As if they really don't understand what we've all been asking for...

Good job vimeo! Taking advantage of all your paying customers and providing absolutely no help. In fact you've probably only made the situation more frustrating than it originally was.

Joanna Newman

Joanna Newman Plus

I would really like this feature. Well said, CreativeCapture.net. Our voice needs to be heard!

The Pierces

The Pierces

Note the PLUS icon next to my name. It will be gone tomorrow when I let my subscription expire. The ONLY reason I'm letting it expire is this issue.

KAISERSTREAM

KAISERSTREAM

Uhmm, just a question for those who posted here in the last coupla weeks.
Aren't there already privacy controls implemented for Plus and Pro Users in the Privacy settings?
I were just reading the FAQs, so i might be wrong, as far as no one from the staff answered here any oft the latest questions, nor anyone of the staff linked to the FAQ-section.

Thanks

JAY SMITH

JAY SMITH

I was trying to figure out how to post video clips closed to a specific client for a very practical/clinical video ID purpose. I am 3000 miles away from them and just wanted to post small clips to identify various locations from footage I did not shoot. This particular client is not able to mangage downloading clips from an FTP server. I've been following this service for a while from the outside, but I am actually SHOCKED after being a 3 month old paying PLUS member of Vimeo and finding that this feature is not available. I was scrolling down the history of this thread fully expecting the feature to be added by the time I got down to October 2012 and cannot believe that it is still not. I am an alumni of UCLA's Graduate School of Theater, Film and Television and have been creating new media since its inception in the late 90s for a wide range of clientele. $10/mo. is more than enough to pay for a service such as this and expect this functionality.

Brunet-Garcia

Brunet-Garcia Plus

If you don't care about video comments then you can achieve a similar "unlisted" status by setting the video's privacy to "Hide this video from Vimeo.com" and allow the video to be embedded "Anywhere." Go to the embed tab and get the video source from the embed code. You can send this to anyone to view the video but still show as private on vimeo.com.

Direct link: player.vimeo.com/video/51697859

Vimeo.com link: vimeo.com/51697859

The Pierces

The Pierces

I guess this must only work for PLUS. I tried it and (after a delay) it caused the video to show up on my public Recently Uploaded list that anyone could see. It seemed to have worked for the video you posted, though. But I'm not risking giving them any money for PLUS again and having them "fix the bug".

I'll also note that posting your link above makes embedding in facebook not work. It just makes it a link that opens a new window when clicking. So youtube still beats them.

The Pierces

The Pierces

Okay, now I'm really not sure what you're getting at. Yes, unlisted is a feature of PRO accounts. This whole thread is about how that's stupid and it should be a feature of at least PLUS accounts (and to compete with youtube, ALL accounts, really).

But your hack above seemed to be directed towards a way to get around the lack of unlisted videos for PLUS. Am I misreading?

pablo valbuena

pablo valbuena Plus

The possibility to send video links without password should be a basic feature for plus members... the actual unlisted option doesn't allow to link the video without embedding it.
I am amazed that after so many plus members asking for this simple feature it is still not implemented.

Ball Of Yarn

Ball Of Yarn Plus

I just upgraded to Pro for this "unlisted" feature that I heard touted around here. I would like it if the video review pages had a customizable URL as well. Sometimes I have a video a client wants online but I don't want is associated. It looks weak to have such a long link to send to my clients I feel.

htmosa

htmosa

I am a new user in vimeo. I wonder why the unlisted feature is not available here. And only because of this I am compelled to go back to youtube.

Cosmic Reach Media

Cosmic Reach Media Plus

+1 for an unlisted link.... I often want to send a link to someone so they can see it for review, but I don't want them to have to deal with a password. It's not a big deal if the video is public, but I'd just prefer that people don't stumble upon it or have it show up in their inboxes/news feeds. It's really a feature that many of us use often on YouTube. Please bring it!

Barry Noble

Barry Noble

+1 for unlisted.
Honestly, I think it's ridiculous that Vimeo doesn't have this feature!
I mostly make videos that I want to share with family who aren't Vimeo users. It's not the end of the world if the video goes beyond them, but I would rather not have it popping up in searches by the general public. Password protecting is an option, but that seems a bit pretentious for silly little home videos and I don't want to bother my family with having to remember passwords.
Just give us an unlisted option.
What possible reason could you have for not doing it?
Heaps of people are crying out for it, and those who don't need it don't have to use it.

Halcyon 1234

Halcyon 1234 Plus

+1 for unlisted link. I'm filming my dance studio's rehearsal videos. Having a password protected video is okay, but annoying when the studio has dozens of videos to watch. The links are only ever posted on a password-protected website-- which would be enough "security" for some of the technophobes in the group.

All they really care about is that it doesn't show up on searches or recommended pages, which is exactly what Unlisted does. It wouldn't be National Secrets if one of the videos was stumbled upon.

Halcyon 1234

Halcyon 1234 Plus

I just saw an option under My Settings: "( ) Hide this video from vimeo.com – I want to post my videos on the web but don’t want them to be available on Vimeo.com. (This will hide your videos on Vimeo.com and remove them from public Albums, Channels, and Groups.)"

Is this the equiv of Unlisted? Did I overlook that option, or is it new?

Joe

Joe

+1 for Unlisted

l33yang

l33yang

+3 millionth for unlisted. I'd like to have my family videos on here but only viewable with a link. I don't want people browsing through all of my videos. Just the ones I choose.

Hanlie Parada

Hanlie Parada

As far as I am concerned this is appalling!!! How can you not have such a basic setting for your members! And from what i read from your last comment you are only offering this setting for your paying members...This is a very low move. By doing this you are forcing people to pay, or just keep their mouths shut and have their videos sprawled all over the search engine. I have a lot of videos on your site, but am very much prepared to copy them all to another sight that does offer me this privacy setting! From all these comments over the past two years I seriously think you need to rethink you answer!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Hanlie,

As a basic member you already have some pretty advanced privacy settings which are probably safer than a simple unlisted URL: vimeo.com/help/faq/privacy

As I mentioned we don't actually have this privacy feature yet, but with Vimeo PRO we have something similar. We may add this to our privacy features but unfortunately have no ETA.

Robert Nicki

Robert Nicki

Would love an unlisted option for many of the above mentioned reasons.

Video & Film Solutions

Video & Film Solutions

Yep, though ' Custom Arrange' is still the priority in my mind... This is another feature we need...

Windstream

Windstream PRO

An "unlisted" privacy option is essential for our business. The private Review links are nice, but they are really only useful for reviewing. Consider this situation: we have many videos that we want to distribute internally (to employees) but not externally (to anyone else). Typically we want to embed these videos on our intranet page for our employees to watch--but of course, as things stand we can't do that without either making the video public to the world (unacceptable) or making employees enter a password (ridiculous, since they already spent time logging into the intranet. We already know they are employees without them having to enter another password). It's hard enough to get people to spend the time to watch a video without also making them authenticate every single video before watching it.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Seems like your use case is best suited for the privacy options we already provide.

As a PRO member you can hide your videos from Vimeo.com and restrict their embedding to only your domain. Does that not resolve the issue?

Decoy Collective

Decoy Collective Plus

Hi
We really miss a particular privacy option:
We have some videos we don't want to be listed on our vimeo profile, but our customer should be able to watch them on the direct vimeo link, share the link, embed the video etc.
If I want to hide a video from our profile, I'd have to select "Hide from Vimeo.com", but then it's not possible to share the link on facebook etc.
Youtube has this option "not listed" and it works fine.
Thank you!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

As a PRO member you can use the Review Page links which work effectively the same as unlisted URLs, but currently we don't offer this for Plus.

c0mm0n

c0mm0n

I wanted to use this feature (which is free afaik on YT) and discovered i had to pay more... LOL

You just lost me as a customer, my subscription has been cancelled. This is insane, bye vimeo.

Joe Klein

Joe Klein

Sharing via only a link is a requirement for me. I was just about to upgrade to a Plus account, but this is a showstopper. Who wants to hassle with passwords or Pro account requirements. I just want a simple link for the guest to be able to click and view. It has been requested for more than 2 years now. Come on!

I will not be upgrading until this feature is available on the Plus or Basic account. I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Joe,

Sorry our current plans aren't what you were looking for. We are considering this as part of a revamp to our accounts, however we don't have any ETA at this time.

Joe Klein

Joe Klein

Thanks Matt,

Hopefully this feature will make the list, and will be implemented sooner than later. All my other options at this point have other limitations, so I am looking forward to this feature on Vimeo.

Super Productions

Super Productions

I think giving the Unlisted option only to PRO users is a big mistake… I really need this option but not enough to pay 200$ a year for that. If your plan is to make people go for PRO accounts for that feature, it won't work with independent filmmakers. You will just make them feel you care more about getting money than offering the best possible solution to your customers.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Leonard,

As we mentioned we don't offer this feature, just something like it, which is indeed only for PRO members.

If we offer this feature as it was described originally in this thread, we will consider how to implement it across account levels.

Jeffrey Phillips

Jeffrey Phillips Plus

Hi,
Well I wanted to share videos to our group via a password protected "Channel" without having to invite 100 people via email (who must join Vimeo to view). I thought I could do that by opening a "Plus" account but now I see it cannot be done at all. To share a URL to a password protected channel on a private FB group would be a huge feature. It appears to me to be a thinly veiled attempt by Vimeo to force others to join in order to view private vids. This is a cumbersome, privacy-killing process. Sayonara Vimeo....

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Jeffrey,

Have you tried Albums? You can add password-protected videos to albums, then set one password on the Album that unlocks all the videos. All you need to do at that point is share the URL and password. It doesn't require a Vimeo account.

Silviu Craciun

Silviu Craciun

+1 for unlisted option at least for plus members

Chet

Chet

another +1 for unlisted videos. I would really love to move off the OTHER video site but I can't until this is a possibility.

GW

GW

+1 for unlisted video links.

Where features like quality, performance, storage, branding and ads are concerned I think it's a good idea to build a range of account levels targeting specific kinds of users and charge a premium.

Where privacy settings are are concerned I think it would would be fair to offer all options to all users.

Ryan Geldermann

Ryan Geldermann PRO

Can you please add this for PLUS members? It's kind of outrageous that we pay for a service that doesn't include this extremely basic feature.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Ryan,

Sorry you feel this way, and while we do agree it would be a cool addition, it isn't something we're working on at the moment.

Joe Russell

Joe Russell Plus

In response to Ryan and Matt Schwarz conversation... Matt... please start working on this. I do not like using my youtube account for things, but I still have to BECAUSE of the unlisted feature. If Vimeo did this... I would not have to go to youtube for anything.

:)

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Joe,

It's possible, but not something we're working on right now :(

Alexander Schukoff-Film

Alexander Schukoff-Film Plus

I understand, that for embedding "unbranded" videos, that you have to be a pro member. But I would just like to have the option of "unlisted" videos, just follow the link (if you have it) with full brands and environment from my account, but not be found by public,
No problem, if you dont plan to implement that feature, with my youtube account I can do that for free.
Propably I will quit my PLUS account in the future, there is no sense for ist, the free account will be enough.

Max Engel

Max Engel Plus

I've also been debating switching some videos to YouTube because of the need for "unlisted" videos.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Definitely something we're considering, but have no plans at this time :(

Animator Ngan

Animator Ngan

Staff have been using the word "considering" for this request for several years now. The earliest post I came across was from five years ago. Furthermore, I find the reasons for refusing to implement this feature absurd. It is virtually the same as a password protected video except it is less hassle for the viewers. According to the posts by staff in the forums, Vimeo has a policy of enhancing viewing experience over owner experience.

Unlisted videos is certainly not a "soft" privacy measure (most overused excuse). A password protected video can easily be redistributed to unintended individuals as much as an unlisted video. It is a means of distribution which a lot of users will find immensely useful.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

We use the term "considering" because it is in-fact what we're doing: considering this feature. We have no plans to implement this as of yet (some of the reasons mentioned before are still of concern), but will certainly let users know when it's something we begin to move forward on.

Pretty Damn Sweet

Pretty Damn Sweet PRO

The software development world is a crazy place Pascal! Priorities are priorities, and manpower is manpower. Hard choices need to be made about this stuff and they can't please everybody. If Unlisted videos is the main feature you need - then unfortunately, Vimeo may not be for you, as painful as that may be!

David Bernstein

David Bernstein

Hey Vimeo. I joined today, and I'm quitting today. Just want the 'unlisted' feature. Get with it and add this obvious feature people have been demanding.

Doug Holton

Doug Holton

I also need this feature in order to use vimeo

Garland Elmore

Garland Elmore

I am leaving Google and YouTube because of Google+ requirements to share Picasa tags and other information which those I have no interest in contacting. For video, Vimeo appeared to be my best option, except I find in my first week as a member that I cannot import Gmail contacts without creating a public Google+ profile (with the Picasa warning noted), nor can I share Vimeo videos without creating and sending passcodes. I have no interest in developing public videos or in social networks or video channels, but simply want to share videos I produce with individuals and groups I select from a contact list. Vimeo has a lot of potential, but I will keep looking for other hosting options since these features aren't available in the basic plan or upgrade options. Too bad since there is so much right with Vimeo.

c0mm0n

c0mm0n

"Your Vimeo Plus account will expire in 64 days"

And won't get renewed because of this.

Wally Beddoe

Wally Beddoe Plus

The only thing missing from Vimeo [Plus] is the ability to share a private video via URL (without having to send someone a password). Please extend this to Plus accounts. We're paying :)

Jens Johansson

Jens Johansson

Uploaded video to youtube. Realized i couldn't replace the video without changing the link. Uploaded same video to Vimeo. Realized i couldn't have an unpublished unlisted link. Back to youtube...

Alex Bautista

Alex Bautista

Adding another voice to the noise that seems to be doing nothing. This feature is very basic and crucial to a lot of users. Forcing people to pay for a PRO membership for something of a workaround is silly when you consider this feature has been a free no brainer on YouTube for a long time. Does something need to change in order for staff "consideration" to result in action? I assume you'll listen to your user base if they make enough of a fuss about it. Hopefully we're reaching "enough" sometime soon. In the meantime I guess I'm forced to head back over to YouTube... which I'm pretty bummed about.

Ryan Manwiller

Ryan Manwiller

I'll just add another vote. I can't use vimeo without the unlisted feature.

Tanapon P.

Tanapon P.

+1 for "unlisted feature"

how many years do we have to wait??

Brian

Brian

+1 for unlisted. Anyone who has the URL can view the video.

Studio Springbok

Studio Springbok Plus

Unlisted video option is a must have. Don't like to switch to youtube someday for such a basic feature..

GM

GM

Hi Vimeo Staff, keep "considering" the unlisted feature!

LiveWire Films

LiveWire Films

3 years later and it is hard to believe there is still a question whether the "unlisted" option is a good one? I can't believe it isn't implemented yet, Vimeo, please listen to the voices and add this option to all account types.

Chihuahua mia

Chihuahua mia

Hi, I shared a link with a customer so he can watch his video and check it before paying ! Now I would like to block that link so he can no longer access it. I ve sent him the link per mail.
I dont know how or where I can deactivate the link. Does anyone know ?

thanks a lot

MSFilm

MSFilm Plus

+1 !!! Guys from staff, i think it is time for that !

MSFilm

MSFilm Plus

And another thing - YouTube give us that for free, i'm PLUS user so i pay you for quality and good features but i think it is small feature and it should be for free or for PLUS users - not only for pro users...

Pikktee

Pikktee

+1 from me as well!
I just bought a Plus-Account in the assumption that I get this feature but unfortunately I was wrong. Excluding videos from the search is an absolutely must have feature imo. And MSFilm ist right, YouTube provides this for free and at Vimeo I don't get this privacy option for $59/year. I'm really disappointed!

Sean McCormack

Sean McCormack

After 3 years of this thread, it's pretty obvious that customer needs are low on the list of Vimeo priorities.

MSFilm

MSFilm Plus

They just want to get more money from us for Vimeo PRO - but we are from all the world not only from USA or similiar rich society. For me 160bucks for VIMEO PRO is too much. Time to go back on YouTube.

Eleri Jane

Eleri Jane

Definitely need unlisted video feature!! This is keeping me from uploading my videos to Vimeo.

Igor Pichardo

Igor Pichardo

It seems they dont give a heck about this..
I really wish they had this feature.

Wendy Lichtenthal

Wendy Lichtenthal

Hi, I'm a paying customer (Vimeo Pro).

I would like to be able to embed a player on MY site (not on the Vimeo's review-page) as part of a survey process.

How do I achieve this?
Thanks.

LensFlare

LensFlare Plus

I'm a Plus user, mainly because I do not have the need for more than 5GB upload per week, but having an unlisted private link for a video is something I would greatly appreciate.

Estúdio 42

Estúdio 42 Plus

I'm a Plus user too, and everything works good for me with this account, only this privacy. Unlisted video would be very good, and I don't wanna pay extra dollars to become PRO only for this reason.. :(

Andras Beliczay

Andras Beliczay

I am just thinking to have my PLUS membership payment back within the 30 days because of missing this feature (unlisted or share by url).

Vimeo! Why is it impossible to have this feature implemented within the last 4 years while a lot of your customers are asking all the time?

Angelina Malone

Angelina Malone

I can't use Vimeo for what I need without the Unlisted option. i'll stick with Youtube. oh well.

Bildmaskinen

Bildmaskinen

As with most of the posters in this thread THIS is the lack of feature that drives me to Youtube.

I suspect the lack of this has something to do with bandwidth control but it wouldn't be impossible to generate a custom url for your customers to share that has a quota of some sorts (10gb view bandwidth or viewable 10 times).

This is by far the number one issue and perhaps the only issue I've had with Vimeo as a customer. I'm NOT paying 200$ for this function.

PVM Video Production

PVM Video Production PRO

One option, in case you guys didn't notice, is to set the privacy option to "Hide this video from Vimeo.com" then check the box for "Yes, enable video review page.". Then click the "(Link)" to view your review page. Copy and paste that URL to anyone you'd like to share your unlisted video with. Problem solved. No passwords needed. This will allow you to keep your videos off vimeo, but still be able to share the video with anyone who has the DIRECT LINK.

Aleksander Lenart

Aleksander Lenart

I'm wondering if Vimeo is hesistant to add the unlisted feature to all accounts to avoid flooding its servers with private videos? Anyway, I'd still like to see this option on Vimeo.

Rostislav Alexandrovich

Rostislav Alexandrovich

Vimeo, dont be evil, seriously.
i find myself in the silly situation of paying money to vimeo yet am forced to use youtube, and no, i dont think that such simple feature is worth going "PRO"

elle schneider

elle schneider Plus

Adding my voice to those unlikely to renew membership without an Unlisted feature. It's contrarian.

Ray Osborn

Ray Osborn

With four years (at least) of requests, I can't see Vimeo budging on providing an unlisted option. Either they don't appreciate that this is putting people off joining Vimeo (I would have considered a Plus option, but I gather it's not even available there, so they're not getting my money), or they are frightened of having too many users.

Neil Andrew Cerullo

Neil Andrew Cerullo Plus

seriously confused as to why VIMEO doesnt fix this.

Fix this. Cause this makes Vimeo kinda suck.
So stop sucking.
And listen to your customers.

When I bought Pro it said I could share anyway I wanted to share.
I guess that's not the case.

daduck112

daduck112 Plus

yes, would like this feature also. I want to share 1 video with family, another with friends, but I don't both groups to necessarily see both Adding a many users into groups is just a pain for the casual user like myself.

Flickr has this option. I can share 1 pic via link - with out sharing my whole account.
e.g. farm9.staticflickr.com/8645/16458988519_73edcf884b.jpg

Stuart Noggle

Stuart Noggle Plus

Please. I'm still using Youtube for the unlisted feature. Vimeo still beats Youtube in other areas though.

Framepusher

Framepusher Plus

+1 Please implement this feature. I'm considering not paying for Vimeo Plus anymore because 99% of my uploads are videos where I'd like to use the unlisted feature. YouTube might just end up being more convenient for me.

Brent N.

Brent N.

Yes, please allow unlisted videos. It is very important for sharing family videos to relatives without them having to join Vimeo.

I assumed Vimeo had this feature when I signed up for a Plus account. I won't be renewing my Plus account because of this oversight.

jbmedia Germany

jbmedia Germany Plus

I recently became a plus member and was shocked afterwards that there is no unlisted video option. Never expected such a basic feature to be missing. Will not extend membership if that feature is not implemented until my current membership expires. Very disappointing experience.

Will Stones

Will Stones

Wow! Can't really understand why Vimeo doesn't have this feature?!? Disappointed.

Erick Magana

Erick Magana Plus

Can we just get a unlisted video link option for crying out loud!

Pretty please :)

Decoy Collective

Decoy Collective Plus

I asked here (vimeo.com/forums/topic:106153#comment_9581778) for a particular option and you directed me to this thread. But we (and I guess many other users) are looking for an option where the video can be watched on a regular Vimeo page (means the video is listed on vimeo and will be found if you search it's title on vimeo or google) but it should not be listed in our public profile. Because we offer some customers to put their video on vimeo and send them an embed code, but sometimes these videos are not spectacular enough to be represented in our vimeo profile. Or sometimes a customer needs four different language versions, but we only want to show the english version on our profile page.

Decoy Collective

Decoy Collective Plus

So it could be an additional option after "Hide this video from Vimeo.com" and it could say "Hide this video from profile".

ImmunoSpot®

ImmunoSpot® PRO

+1 on this request. We need to have the option to provide unlisted videos. The Video-Review Page is a good start, however it does allow/include comments from logged in users, which we do not want. We just want to share an video link (without password protection and without being listed/found and without the possibility for users to write comments).

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Thanks for your feedback! You can turn off comments for your review page in your video's privacy settings. This will also turn off comments on the regular video page.

3perf

3perf Plus

Another vote for an 'unlisted' feature. I sometimes have cases where I don't necessarily want a video to be visible for all, but on the other hand, the full password-protection feels too much.

Max Marks

Max Marks

Really wish I could cancel my vimeo plus account that I just paid for. This seems like a basic option for a even a free account!

Jeycob Carlson

Jeycob Carlson PRO

Please add an UNLISTED feature. Drives me a little insane this option isn't available.

kepfenyezo

kepfenyezo Plus

One more user asking for the option to hide a video from my profile, but keep it visible for ones having the link...

Pier11 Productions

Pier11 Productions Plus

Unlisted feature makes total sense. Why is this request ignored by Vimeo for five long years?? Do they respect their customer's interest at all??

Jon Whitehead

Jon Whitehead

Another vote for the unlisted feature, it's just essential these days.

Zurvita

Zurvita PRO

Yeah this is a much-needed feature. I thought that sending out the review pages would work, but they don't work on social media. If I post the review page link on Facebook, the video doesn't pop up directly on Facebook. Users have to click on a link in the post to view the video elsewhere. This leads to less clicks because users don't know what they're clicking on and they can't watch the video directly on Facebook.

The "unlisted" option on YouTube works better in this case. Vimeo needs an "unlisted" option for account owners (like me) who want to keep a video off of their Vimeo page but want to share it on social media with just a link.

For now, I'm having to post a public video link and then delete the video after a few weeks so someone stumbling onto our Vimeo channel doesn't watch something that's outdated or (more importantly) not intended for the public to see.

Video review pages do NOT accomplish this goal.

Klinke Johannsen

Klinke Johannsen

Unlisted, please. I use this with Google Documents all the time. I still don't understand why Vimeo does not support this.

David Gillick

David Gillick

That would be really cool if there was an unlisted option.

Ron Packard

Ron Packard Plus

Yes, I would like the unlisted as well. Seems crazy easy to implement, why is it not done yet?!

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

We’re currently working on an unlisted privacy option. We don’t have an ETA just yet. In the meantime, PRO members can use Review Pages: vimeo.com/s/tgz

Here are some of the unlisted use cases we’ve seen in this thread so far:

• Ability to share a private video without requiring the recipient to have a password or Vimeo account

• Ability to share videos without having them appear your profile or in search results Review pages don’t embed when shared on social

If you are interested in this and have a different use case, please describe your use case here.

Eric Hurt

Eric Hurt Plus

I agree that an unlisted option is desperately needed. I'm having to use youtube for those videos that need an unlisted option which I would rather not have to do.

David Melendy

David Melendy

One more voice asking for the unlisted video option, would be wonderful. Thank you!

Production Minds

Production Minds Plus

Some of our customers are also asking for this. They use our pre-production tool to discuss previsualizations, casting auditions, rough cuts, etc. with their teams and clients.

Recently we've had some feedback that even though they have a Pro Vimeo subscription, they are unable to embed their "review" videos in our platform (while other, public videos work just fine). This is forcing them to upload review material to two different places, which they find disappointing.

Thank you for taking this into consideration!

Link: productionminds.com/

Lux Films

Lux Films PRO

I can't believe this has been requested for 5 years now, and Vimeo can't create an "unlisted" privacy option. How hard can it be? What are we paying for?

<I don't know how to code> Make "Unlisted" Option. BAM. </I don't know how to code>
Christina Ean Spangler

Christina Ean Spangler

I am taking a Coursera online course and had to upload a video introduction of myself. They recommend using YouTube specifically for its 'unlisted' feature. I tried uploading to Vimeo because I prefer its cleaner display and interface, but am unable to use it because of the sharing limitations. I don't want to publicly share this video, and a can't use a password protected link. I just need a private link that can be accessible to anyone with the link. Going back to YouTube for now.

LOW WOON JEAT

LOW WOON JEAT

unlisted is very useful, please add this feature!

Unified Cinematic Videography

Unified Cinematic Videography Plus

This strikes me as a particularly simple problem to solve. Can you please add an 'unlisted' option? I want to be able to upload and share videos that don't also appear on my profile page.

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Hi there, we're currently working on this but can't give an ETA. Stay tuned!

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Hi there, we're currently working on adding this feature but we don't have an ETA just yet!

isnotTV

isnotTV Plus

Definitely a must have in our case... Thanks for adding, and please the sooner the better ;p

Btw, any chance to get notified once ready?

Thanks
Jaime

Humdinger and Sons

Humdinger and Sons PRO

Is this function going to be ready soon? We have soooo many videos we don't want on our feed but need available for embedding in other sources.

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

This will be available very soon! For now you can choose the privacy option of hiding your videos from Vimeo, which will still allow them to be embedded elsewhere.

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Hi everyone, We've just released an unlisted privacy option! You can read all about it over on our blog: vimeo.com/blog/post/share-unlisted-videos-with-private-links

Here's how it works:

• If you’re a Plus or PRO member, go to your video settings and choose “Only people with the private link.” Or, select this option when you’re uploading.
  • Once you save your changes, you’ll be given a private URL to copy and send to people you choose.
  • Only people with this link (and people those people share it with) will be able to see your video page. It will be hidden from other groups, channels, search results, and other places on vimeo.com, and people won’t be able to find it through third-party search engines either.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.