Ze’ev Gilad

Ze’ev Gilad

I need to embed videos which should ONLY be viewable from my website to clients.

Using the advanced API, I was able to create a PHP gallery of videos from a private album.

But when I attempt to embed those videos, they come up with the lock/private icon.

What can I do? Can I call an authorized embed somehow?

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Ze'ev,

You can either password protect those videos or have those videos only embeddable on the domain that you are embedding on, but you would have to handle the authentication to confirm that only clients view that domain.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Ryan

Wheelhouse Creative

Wheelhouse Creative PRO

I've found a kind of workaround; it's finicky, but it works.

FIRST you set a video's privacy to "None." (This removes it from any albums/etc.)

THEN you add the video to a private album.

Now it is embeddable with no 'lock' icon, AND it is organized within an album.

Visual Effects Society

Visual Effects Society Plus

I'm having trouble seeing thumbnails for private videos. I tried making it public and refreshing, to try to pick up the thumbs, but it didn't work. I walked through the emfield code with a debugger, and posted my findings here:
drupal.org/node/981240#comment-4072546

The Drupal interface config screen lets you enter an API key, but I don't see it references in emfield or media_vimeo, and the form says "You no longer need a key for any current supported features". So I don't think there is a way to grab a thumbnail for a private video - or is there? I tried making the video public and refreshing, but still no thumb.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

It's possible to get thumbnails for private videos through the Advanced API. Sometimes it can take a few minutes after changing privacy settings for them to update through the API.

We can't offer support on third-party code (the Drupal module you linked to).

The Art Newspaper

The Art Newspaper PRO

Just to confirm (as this thread is getting on a bit): is it possible to embed a private video through the API? I have a PRO account and I'm trying to use Vimeo as a media server for my site. I don't want to enable community pass. But I can't see a way to embed with authentication. If it is, can you please provide detail on how to do this?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

You can retrieve information on private videos with the Advanced API, but you cannot embed a video unless it is set to be embeddable in the settings.

Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith

Hi
Linked closely to this - is there a value in the JSON response that indicates whether a video can be embedded? Youtube do return a value in their response but I can't find one in your response - but it might be just me being stupid!

Thanks

Andrey Petrenko

Andrey Petrenko

+1 I'm also looking for such solution.. May I kindly ask the staff to share the secret with us...

Trent Steel

Trent Steel

If a video is set so it can only be embedded on a specific domain, can you prevent it from showing up in your feed and viewable on viemo.com?

So basically you would only be able to view it through a page on my clients site where it is embedded?

Erick

Erick

Hello,

We're about to buy a Pro account but wanted to see if is possible and where's more info on how
to show videos on a protected web site to that site's users ?

Thanks a lot

Trax Nigeria

Trax Nigeria

on vimeo you also see on the sidebar a "you may also like these video" block. How do you implement that on the page where you have embedded a vimeo video?

playtheguru

playtheguru

Hi all,

Interesting post about using vimeo for companys, like us.

We need to post private videos that can only be viewed in:
a. Our website
b. Our mobile apps - android and ios

Is that possible? I was thinking:
a. Our website - using the per-domain filter.
b. Our mobile apps - using username/password or some sort of authentication. This would imply embedding the access in our apps, somethnig I'm not happy with. A better way would be to make a call to our server, our server can retrieve the video URL (unlocked) from vimeo, and send it back to the app. That way the app doesn't know anything about vimeo.

What do you think?

Thanks

Carlos

MedAptus Marketing

MedAptus Marketing PRO

+1 for a similar solution.

We would like our private videos to be embedded for play, only for a restricted set of users. We would like to automatically sign them on instead of prompting them for a video password or for their vimeo account.

Can the Advanced API support such a feature currently? Looks like OAuth supports API authentication and not video player authentication.

Lutsyk Ihor

Lutsyk Ihor

Hello guys
I am tech lead, and i have similar project concept, where i need to show private videos only for my site authentificated users. I have decided to use Vimeo before, because i knew that they should have rich security capabilities.
As for me, this can be done with setup of Custom Domain for your Vimeo account vimeo.com/forums/topic:40958
and then showing video player with link to private video only for authentificated users.
Thats all :-) But you need to have some admin part to link Vimeo videos and your system, but this is another story :-)
Maybe Vimeo support some thirdparty membership integration?

Thomas Gerencer

Thomas Gerencer

Hi guys,
I also need to do the following with Vimeo PRO. (I have not bought it yet, but if I can do the following, I will buy).

1. Show the videos from my site only, as embedded content. Not viewable from anywhere else.
2. NOT have the videos password protected by Vimeo.

So, anyone can view them embedded on my site without a password, but nobody can view them from anywhere else.

Is this possible with Vimeo PRO?

Thanks,

Tom

Thomas Gerencer

Thomas Gerencer

Never mind my question above! I have found that it's possible! Here is the text from Vimeo's FAQ page:

"Yes, as a Plus member, you can hide your videos from Vimeo.com by going to the video page and clicking the 'Settings' button located under the video. From there, click the 'Privacy' tab and select 'Hide this video from Vimeo.com.' Don't forget to save your changes!
This allows you to embed your video on outside websites, but have it hidden completely on Vimeo.com."

(Of course I'll be doing Vimeo PRO because it's a commercial site, not PLUS, but it will work!)

Priscilla Holmes

Priscilla Holmes

Has anyone tried embedding vimeo videos on a Moodle site?

Rita Caldeira

Rita Caldeira

Hey guys, I'm trying to share a video on Facebook that was private until today (changed the settings, saved changes, everything), but when I post the link on Facebook, the automatic thumbnail still appears as 'private video'. How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance

Troy Grech

Troy Grech

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking of purchasing a Pro account but don't want to folk out all that cash if it can't do what I after. I have emailed customer support but had absolutely no reply which makes me even more hesitant to take the plunge.

I want to use Vimeo to host my videos which I will make private and sell to students through my site. However I am just curious of whether there there is a setting to hide the Vimeo link from the URL as I don't want people to just copy the link and share.

The membership software that I am using supports Amazon S3 but I would prefer Vimeo. I know I can hide the links by creating separate pages for each Video/Product but would much prefer a list of purchased videos with a thumb nail and lightbox effect on the same page.

Is it possible to hide the URL through Vimeo????

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

It looks like another member of our support team replied to you a few hours ago, if you haven't received that message yet, please let me know.

In short, with a PRO account you can hide your videos from vimeo.com and put domain-level privacy on your embeds. More info about privacy settings from our FAQ: vimeo.com/s/tal

These settings can be changed programatically using our API. Our API docs are right here: developer.vimeo.com/api/start

If you have any other questions that are not API related, please post in the Help Forum for a quicker response: vimeo.com/forums/help

Troy Grech

Troy Grech

Thanks Tommy. No I haven't received any other msg regarding this as yet.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Do you have an alternate email address we can contact you at? You may want to check your email provider's spam/junk mail.

Pawel

Pawel

Hi. We want to embed private videos in the mobile app. It's running cordova (phonegapp) framework. Basically it is HTML/Javascript code but it's wrapped so it can run as native iOS, Android app. Because it is running as an app it does't have a domain so I can't add it in privacy settings
("Only on sites I choose").

Is there any option for private videos to be embedded in the mobile app without having users to type password for each video? Maybe I could send password via API, but I can't find that in docs. Or maybe I should have a PRO account? Currently we have PLUS.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Domain-level privacy won't work with native apps.

The only way to really accomplish what you're seeking to do is to embed the video on a webpage you own and control, and then open that page within your app.

Pawel

Pawel

Thank you for clear answer.

What if I want to play raw MP4 in native player? You have mentioned on this forum that you "will be open sourcing a few projects that will allow developers to retrieve videos and video metadata for use in their app".

is it possible with PLUS account or do we need PRO? Can't find raw file in the current API responses.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.