Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Historically we’ve been hesitant to offer creator embed setting that override sticky viewer settings such as volume and captions. The volume of the player is a setting that follows a user around the web, whether they’re on vimeo.com or viewing an embedded player. The way our player is built, if you change the volume on one Vimeo player, it affects subsequent viewings elsewhere.

With that said, we recently added an experimental parameter to address the background video use case. It bundles auto-mute, loop, and autoplay together. Check it out if that’s what you’re trying to achieve: vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:278001

To get a better understanding of some of the use cases that aren’t resolved by that parameter, it would be great if you could post information about what you're trying to acheive in that thread (or here). Thank you!

Mitchell Alomar

Mitchell Alomar

is there a automute feature for videos to autoplay without volume on the vimeo players

this would be helpful for autoplaying videos on websites and users not leaving because music auto starts

Article19

Article19 PRO

kinda breaks the first law of web design, don't autoplay anything otherwise your users will hunt you down and hit you with a kipper!

cyphunk

cyphunk

rules were meant to be broken. this one definition of art.

Scott Clark

Scott Clark Plus

Sorry but autoplaying with auto mute is a best practice. If the user decides to turn the sound on the video should auto start over with sound on.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

You can embed videos with auto start option. The volume however is user preference and something you cannot override.

Jennifer Stuart

Jennifer Stuart

I have a video embedded on a client's website - we had this set up originally to autoplay with mute by default (and then if the user wanted to turn the sound on, they could just override it and click on a volume level.) Otherwise a loud obnoxious audio track starts playing and visitors of the site were starting to complain. We still wanted the autoplay feature to encourage users to watch the video, but didn't want to annoy them with the audio track automatically playing (ie. like if they're browsing the site at work and don't have headphones on - give them the time/option to turn down the volume first!) This was the code I was using:

stuartweb.net/test.htm

It was working great until recently. Now you'll notice the volume level shows as if it is all the way down - but it's still playing. I suspect something changed in your API, but nothing I've tried gets this working. Can someone help me fix this?

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Jennifer,

This should be fixed now. Please let us know if that's the case or not.

Thanks, Ryan

Livolsi Media

Livolsi Media PRO

I want to put several of my videos on a page on my websites with autoplay to create movement and attention from the viewer. Because there are more than one on autoplay at the same time, I cannot have any sound. I tried Jennyfer code with one of my videos but the sound is still there, to the minimum but not mute. Also I have a question, as it is using flash, are the videos showing on iphone/ipad with this code?
I think to be able to mute the videos on auto-play would be a great added feature. You can look at our site: superdeluxestudio.com/women.html to understand why we cannot have sound.
The small videos on autoplay then link to a page where the sound is there etc. and the viewer can enjoy them fully, but this front page (women) is just a teaser. If anybody has any idea how to do this easily, please share.
Thanks for the help,

David Lips

David Lips

Would indeed be great if someone could provide a clear explanation of how to pull of the auto-play + muted feature!

Clarissa Rezende

Clarissa Rezende Plus

The little snippet by Jennifer Stuart worked great for me, thank you!!!

As for Vimeo folks, it would be great to add either a "mute" (true/false) or "volume" (0-10) option as autoplay with no sound is becoming more and more of a typical scenario (in my case anyway).
Pls take this request under consideration.. thanks!

VAM System

VAM System

+1 Clarissa
please add this feature for embed videos

Two Joker Films

Two Joker Films PRO

Hi there, I understand allowing the viewer to control the volume, but I have a playlist album on my show reel website. It only plays when the viewer clicks on it, but it defaults now to play muted? That's ridiculous. Surely if they viewer is clicking 'play' they want to hear the video? I find this feature damaging to my show reel as they might think the video is mute. Is there a way round this?

Link: brianoneillmedia.weebly.com/director.html

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Vimeo wouldn't be defaulting your player to "muted". The video would only be muted if the viewer muted the last player they watched from, so it's assumed they would know what they left the volume at previously and can change it before watching again.

Central Wired

Central Wired PRO

We just had this same problem. We don't have the volume bar on our embedded player. The ones we have embedded don't play audio all of a sudden. We had to add the volume bar on there now, in order for people to bring the volume back up.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

This should only happen if the viewer set their volume low or turned it off on another player. They should be able to visit any player on Vimeo to change it for any future players they open. If you're still having trouble, please contact our support team.

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/contact

Helena and Laurent Photography

Helena and Laurent Photography PRO

Yes! Please add this feature. Developers have to work around this api limitation currently and it's super annoying. Video can be great in a background, at the very least to Premium customers. Streaming is still the best way to present HD animated content, Sometimes it is appropriate to have something visual autoplay, even when you don't want volume.

Boxlife

Boxlife Plus

Please make an autoplay/mute option. It's really not a question of right or wrong but simply the only intelligent thing to do.

SOHOLogics

SOHOLogics

+1 from me also. I would like to use Vimeo videos in website backgrounds and/or autoplay on landing page. Users find it extremely annoying to hit a page with music/speech starting right away. Having the ability to mute and then allow the user to adjust/restart the video to hear the speech is a key feature that needs to be added.

SCABAL

SCABAL Plus

+1 for us too. We would like to easily start the video without sound so that the user can decide to put the volume up (and not imposing sound on them)

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

In the same way the user has the choice to lower the volume should they not want to hear it (or pause the video since we don't remove the play button). At this time we're not comfortable with giving the creator a way to override what we believe should be a viewer setting.

cyphunk

cyphunk

Matt I think you misunderstood Scabal's and the original authors intent. None of them suggested removing the ability to change the volume. Rather they are just asking if the default can be off optionally. Therefore the "user setting" is still exposed to the user. This does not remove the users choice, and gives designers more flexibility in developing interesting experiences.

Joey Brennan

Joey Brennan

+1 for automute options.

Muting/setting-to-lowest-volume-level a video by default is in consideration for the viewer and anyone in ear shot more so then giving them the choice to fumble around on the vimeo chrome to mute an unexpected autoplayed video. If the auto play video is by default muted it won't disturb anyone and if the viewer so chooses they can turn it up.

Its the sound coming from the web by default that is so annoying in a modern users life. No one surfing the web wants blaring sound to just jump out at them. Its embarrassing. Library, cafe, cubicle, and home: no matter where the user is, they don't want to be subjected to sound without their choosing. Ask anyone Vimeo.

Damon Kiley

Damon Kiley

Vimeo, the people have spoken, and guess what? You are doing it wrong. It's incredibly hubristic of you to assume you are right and disallowing choice on the part of people embedding your videos. Please allow a mute parameter to be set. It's everyday common sense.

E-Bike Only

E-Bike Only

background landscape- or storeview video. nobody wants sound in it.
i think nosound / automute setting for embedded video would not be out of this world...

EJ the DJ

EJ the DJ

Yes please allow us to mute by default on each video :)

Roderick MacLeod

Roderick MacLeod

yes please we need a mute option in embedded auto-play!!! think a lot of us here are premium/professional customers paying a good deal per-annum for the privilege...

Roderick MacLeod

Roderick MacLeod

p.s. it does not seem like many vimeo users (i.e. people who are using your service, vs designing, building and maintaining it) buy the staff argument about some things being viewer setting choice/vs web design choice.

i.e. it leaves no room for intended (i.e. web-designed) user experience. If i design a website and i want the user to first see moving image and then choose to listen to the underlying sound track, that's my use of freedom of speech - isn't that my prerogative? i choose not play the sound, because that is the way i want express myself in that context.

As a specific example, i have a video i am embedding on part of my website and sound is appropriate, that is fine, i leave sound on, but on another part of my website, i have the same video, shown in conjunction with others (simultaneous moving images on one webpage - yes this is an art website) and in that context sound is completely inappropriate - no room for ideological squeamishness about user choice... : )

cskDev

cskDev

vimeo should allow the web developers to have control of the volume settings, since in some applications it allows for a better web experience, for example for using a vimeo video as a moving background.

Link: jannatmusic.com/beta/

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry but as we've stated before, we believe that control of the volume should be left with the viewer.

If you're using a video for the sole purpose of being a background on a site, I suggest uploading it without audio, especially if the user has no control over its playback. From personal experience, if a page has an autoplay video with audio and no control over its playback, users aren't going to stay on the page very long.

cskDev

cskDev

hence the reason to allow web devs the control of the volume state...

cyphunk

cyphunk

And what if the site is intended as an art project?

Also if you think we should have two videos, one without sound, and one with sound, and then when the user clicks a button for sound we overlay the second... this sounds rather inefficient. I could understand that vimeo has priorities but trying to dictate to designers what their user experience should be is youtube like backward thinking

AFFR 2017 Rotterdam

AFFR 2017 Rotterdam PRO

As a viewer (of for instance Facebook, not the most innovative platform, but on this topic...) I like it to be triggered by moving images without the sound on. That's exactly the point - of having control over the audio -. As a developer I like to trigger my visitors by moving images (instead of the blunt play button) without hindering them with audio. Our interviews do have sound, so uploading videos without sound is not an option.
Oh, and an expiry date/time on the videos, another nice missing feature. But the love is still there!

cyphunk

cyphunk

There are plenty of circumstances where a designer may have good reason for a video to play without sound initially. First perhaps the entire focus of the page is mostly video with minor details first. For example I'm building a site for a theater project and would like the user to be distracted by the video with some text over top. The users senses are partially overloaded but not too much. Then they can click a button to hear sound (or use the vimeo volume slider) to hear the audio of the trailer.

If Vimeo wants to declare what is the right way to experience and interact with video and then they should consider disabling many other features currently given to designers. If the intent is proper video usage then the auto loop feature seems rather overbearing. What reason could there possibly be for auto loop? Whatever reason you find you will also find a lot of room given to designers for creation of artistic experiences and thereby lots of room to justify volume=0 by default.

Blythe Joslin

Blythe Joslin PRO

Here here! I also vote for a mute option! Great points provided already!

ryan mead

ryan mead

My first post in the vimeo forums, and I've just got this to say:

A big fat +1 to this feature request!

"We feel that control of the volume should be left in the hands of the viewer" boilerplate aside, please have a look around. Muted video is EVERYWHERE on the web these days!

Q-Power

Q-Power PRO

As long as users are given the ability to turn up the volume if they want to, where is the issue? Your argument makes no sense unless people are removing the volume controls entirely. We want the videos to start without volume and give the users the option to turn it up. I'm failing to understand your argument of user control. The user still has control of the volume they just don't get to dictate it's original volume level.

Ann Pegelow Kaplan

Ann Pegelow Kaplan

Please add mute. Though Vimeo is an excellent site, you should not be the editor, rather only the presenter. This is a badly needed tool.

Ollie Palmer

Ollie Palmer Plus

This is a group of video makers asking to be able to play their own videos, on their own websites, with the initial volume down. We are not asking to be able to mute someone else's videos.

Just a quick run-through of my current process to embed a silent video (I had to do this the other day):
- Make 2 versions of the video (sound & no sound)
- Upload to Vimeo (each video = approx. 700mb)
- Change privacy settings of no-sound version to private / only for page embeds (a fiddly job, as you have to do it whilst the videos are uploading, not before or after)
- take note of the two vimeo URLS (sound & no sound)
- embed the one without sound on the page BUT
- link to the one with sound

Seems like a faff, at least half an hours' work...when instead I could just type "&defaultVolume=0" in my embed code, then let the user decide if they want sound through the default Vimeo interface!

Please enable this feature, Vimeo.

Giorgia DB

Giorgia DB

Hi
I'd be interested in a "delete sound" option as a post-upload option in vid settings. I realise that this is different from the embed/mute option requested above. I uploaded a short clip where someone spoke when they were not meant to, it was a one-take vid so re-shooting was not an option, and it was done on my phone so I can't go in and edit / delete sound files. The video is just as effective without sound.

Logic Byte

Logic Byte

+1 for this feature!
Please enable Vimeo

Catcha Star

Catcha Star Plus

Thank you so much. I don't understand why Vimeo hasn't implemented the change, but your fix works awesome! I really appreciate your efforts.

Paul Willis

Paul Willis

+1 for this feature. I really don't understand Vimeo's argument at all. I fully understand if people were asking to be able to set the sound at a high level and override a users choice but that's not the case. It would be muted and the user has the option to turn the sound on via the controls.

Currently we have the option of workarounds with multiple videos or to play the video with sound on. Neither of which is user friendly.

Canvas Speak

Canvas Speak Plus

Clearly Vimeo has a hidden reason for not giving us this feature. It would be very useful on my homepage.

Chris Laursen

Chris Laursen

No one is asking to disable volume control.

Everyone is asking to autoplay videos on mute.

The user can raise the volume if they want.

The admins seems to be intentionally obtuse here… Painful to read

Jared Green

Jared Green

Ditto, Vimeo, please pay attention to us!

MixKitchen - music•sound•mix

MixKitchen - music•sound•mix Plus

Ditto.. Also would be great to control the volume the video does play from the Vimeo side..
Lastly a mute button for the control bar.. please thanks!

Distant Future Animation Studio

Distant Future Animation Studio Plus

Yes, please do add a bit of code to let us control the volume of our videos in the embed code.
Please.
Pretty please.
Really, very very please.
Please, please on my knees.

Jared Green

Jared Green

This is a 4-year old string, has anything changed on this thread? Is Matt Schwarz still moderating this forum? Please comment below so that vimeo will notice the traction.

DeniseLawrence.Com

DeniseLawrence.Com

If you're using WP this works great! However, Vimeo...really this should be included...and not sure why you're not doing it..please tell us!? Vimeo, I love your attitude with all the love and stuff...now please, love us back...please, and include this necessary function! Surely you know that auto playing sound is bad business.

In the Highest Vibration of Love :)

https://wordpress.org/plugins/vimeo-video-autoplay-automute/
Bryant Boon

Bryant Boon Plus

How is this not an option yet, there is a VERY STRONG DEMAND FOR THIS!!!

VIMEO - PLEASE ADD THE MUTE OPTION AS YOUR USER BASE HAS BEEN REQUESTING FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS!!!

Richard Bullwinkle

Richard Bullwinkle

Interestingly, what I see here is paying users asking for a feature, and giving good reason for needing it. (+1 for me). And being technical, I also know it's extremely easy to implement (probably less than a day of programmer time.) But instead of listening to the customer or giving a really good reason why they cannot do it, Vimeo representatives are here to tell the users they are wrong. Wow, that sounds like bad business!

Stracke Visuals Inc.

Stracke Visuals Inc. Plus

Please ADD AUTO MUTE! I would love to have a video play on a landing page but in mute, so the user can decide if they want to hear it. Nobody likes loud autoplay video. There is definitely a business case for auto play with auto mute. PLEASE ADD!

Connection Model

Connection Model PRO

I really don't understand how a company as great and responsive to their customers as Vimeo can be so tone deaf to the "start muted" request in this thread. Very disturbing. Facebook has this for users who've allowed auto-play; they all start muted. It makes total sense... to everyone except Vimeo product managers??

Surf Alabama

Surf Alabama

Please add this feature! Instagram uses this. Its not taking control from anyone so please give a good reason why you can't. Yes, we can upload a no audio version, but who wants to have 2 versions of the same video on their vimeo?? I'm pretty sure no viewer would ever complain about not being blasted at first and having the option to turn up as they want. Also, Why has a moderator not replied in a year?

SKYROOMLIVE

SKYROOMLIVE PRO

Facebook is doing Mute videos on their feed. Why does Vimeo think they can lecture us what the user experience should be? Surely this is our choice to request this simple but important feature. I don't need a Vimeo rep telling me how I should build my website. 4 Years and a long list of request should not be ignored like this....

max norton

max norton

Vimeo, add this feature! It is needed by your users

Wolfeboronian

Wolfeboronian

Annoying relatives' angry words were exchanged and were recorded on my first Vimeo video. I can't very well "share" such videos.

I'd like to selectively delete audio. Is that a different request than the preceding requests?

maX Music

maX Music Plus

+1 for automute options
go go go vimeo, no more excuses

Forever Current Studios

Forever Current Studios PRO

I've read this thread from the beginning. Unfortunately for Vimeo, users will vote the way they always have, with their pocket book. Perhaps that may give way to the success of another service that values their paying consumers versus popular opinion on a site largely populated by user created content. Comedy.

bien à vous

bien à vous Plus

what ?

autoplay is authorized, but not automute ?

this is contradictory, you can't say that user must choose for sound but that we can impose autoplay !!!!!

I alos really need autoplay, moreover a lot of user are paying for their account, I think you should listen them at least on such features

DT

DT PRO

Apparently Vimeo knows what every user wants, knows more than Facebook and more than Google (YouTube) who offer this...and more than us. It's insane that hundreds of paying customers (on several vimeo posts) are all asking for a very simple feature and it is being outright DENIED based on personal viewpoints? Unbelievable.

Robb Godshaw

Robb Godshaw

I am not sure YouTube has this feature.
If it did, I would migrate.
As far as I know, only Vine has this, and the 6-second limit is a little difficult.

DT

DT PRO

Not sure I'd cancel my Vimeo account over this one feature...but I am considering it based on the answers by staff here. Their reasoning is illogical and non-sensical, and their replies are dogmatic and even belittling and condescending.

I have videos I want to play at 50% volume...and that will allow customers to turn it up if they like. It's MY website and MY content...why can't I control the initial experience and let visitors adjust?

David Conch Condon

David Conch Condon Plus

i just realised today that i needed this feature to sample new music with a short film I have on Vimeo. But alas i had no tools to carry this simple task out i.e. a mute button on the video file. So i opened up the original file and played it in Quicktime muted while the new music played in the background on iTunes. Vimeo i want those 45 seconds back in my life...!!!!

Andrew Incorvia

Andrew Incorvia

I'm not here to gripe on the auto-play with sound issue, enough here have added their comments. However, since it's not an option yet after almost a 4-year old thread, can I set autoplay to off account-wide? I don't want to have to adjust each embed. And yeah, autoplay with sound is annoying.

Charly Estrada

Charly Estrada Plus

volume=zero
it will play at with no volume, example:
loop=1&volume=zero

Allen Kiely

Allen Kiely Plus

WHY, is still not sorted, I almost want to cancel my account, this is a basic requirement for a PRO service

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Historically we’ve been hesitant to offer creator embed setting that override sticky viewer settings such as volume and captions. The volume of the player is a setting that follows a user around the web, whether they’re on vimeo.com or viewing an embedded player. The way our player is built, if you change the volume on one Vimeo player, it affects subsequent viewings elsewhere.

With that said, we recently added an experimental parameter to address the background video use case. It bundles auto-mute, loop, and autoplay together. Check it out if that’s what you’re trying to achieve: vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:278001

To get a better understanding of some of the use cases that aren’t resolved by that parameter, it would be great if you could post information about what you're trying to achieve in that thread (or here). Thank you!

Sunday

Sunday PRO

It's really odd that, rather than adding the feature many people are asking for (mute), you've added a new feature that doesn't quite do what they want?!

A mute parameter for embedded videos would be really useful for us. We have a portfolio page - wearesunday.com/work/ - where we can currently only display one of our videos, because of the lack of a mute feature.

Even if we only wanted to display one video (as we're currently doing) mute is still desirable if that video is intially offscreen (it's annoying to users when a page starts playing music and they can't immediately see where it's coming from).

Link: wearesunday.com/work/

Robb Godshaw

Robb Godshaw

Hi Vimeo.

My use case: Showing people video documentation of my kinetic sculptures without their consent and while not invading their earspace with myspace era un-invited cacophony. No one likes hunting for the tab that is making noise. Noise making web elements should always require consent.

I am confused. Autoplay unmuted is obnoxious and should be against the internet laws of sensible design. Your current autoplay=1 forces me me to either foist noise upon my users or hope they push play. I want my work to be ambient, like in a gallery. Consent is putting the headphones in, not gazing at the screen.

The background flag is great for background videos. That is not my goal. I need an unmute button. Like Vine, Instagram, Facebook, and the rest of the internet. GIFs are inefficient, difficult, and low res. Users have been asking for start muted for 4 years. Perhaps an edge condition so the mute flag doesn't affect the user setting?

TLDR: Gifs suck. So does audio without consent. Please add the mute flag, I would use it extensively.

Link to desired application: robb.cc/biodegradient

Robb Godshaw

Robb Godshaw

Update: DailyMotion has the features I am looking for. Might be useful info for folks who find this page.

Jake Newman

Jake Newman

You can set an automute with their froogaloop api.js by importing the script and setting

var video = $("#myvideo");
video.vimeo("play");
video.vimeo("setVolume", 0);

Or alternatively you can add ?background=1 to at the end of your video url, however this hides the controls. But then you can add your own custom controls.

In my jsfiddle solution, I have added icons to easily toggle mute and play.
Link: jsfiddle.net/jakeoblivion/phytdt9L/5/

Carnets de traverse

Carnets de traverse

+1 Need the autoplay/automute option please Vimeo!
Autoplay with sound is just awful in many cases

healthclubTV

healthclubTV PRO

VIMEO do you never ever ever listen to your customers? This is not one or two but lots of people who want this feature. It is not a good way to run a business being totally ignorant to your customers. Maybe we should all start a facebook, twitter pages calling for automute and saying how unresponsive Vimeo are to their customers?

healthclubTV

healthclubTV PRO

I need to have zero sound on my videos as they are exercises, people want to listen to their own itunes or spotify or busy gym music. ive uploaded 300 videos i need to kill sound, it looks like i need to download them all into video software, kill sound then upload them all again. If have to do this i will just migrate to another service

healthclubTV

healthclubTV PRO

Vimeo - are you listening to your customers or just being ignorant? It is either one or the other? I think it is the latter!

HoneyTrek

HoneyTrek

I have been seeing plus ones on this feature for 2+ years now. How stubborn are you guys to think you know how people should be embedding videos. If you have been browsing the internet for the last 2 years you now realize videos are autoplaying without music on many many pages. And if the user wants to hear the sound they click the volume button. Times are changing and I would hope you guys would change along with the rest of us.

C Collins-Stracensky

C Collins-Stracensky

Please, Pretty please. Or a feature to mute on old uploaded videos within "My Videos"? As to not have to dig into old files, re-edit, and re-upload them, if they even still exist, is another use scenario.

Thanks! Love you!

FixTheMusic.com

FixTheMusic.com Plus

Sort this out Vimeo. We need auto-playing videos with muted sound, allowing the user to increase volume if they so desire. How can you not see that this option is preferable to auto-playing with sound enabled from the start? Please give us this option!

Imaginary Lines

Imaginary Lines PRO

As others have said, autoplay with mute is EVERYWHERE. Have you been to Facebook in the past couple years? :) We need this feature - it would be great!

Please add one more vote for a Muted Autoplay feature request. Thanks!

Kolikkopelit.com

Kolikkopelit.com

It's so sad and disappointing to read this topic. We can mute the volume via javascript, but still Vimeo is still not willing to add mute parameter directly to the embed links. That is just stupid.

I do see the staff point of view, but please start thinking out of the box. The mute option doesn't have to affect the "global" Vimeo volume setting. It can just be an instance specific boolean that will be overridden as soon as the user interacts with the video (or just video volume)

Monumetric

Monumetric PRO

How are you muting w/ Javascript? If you don't mind sharing. :)

MusclePharm

MusclePharm PRO

This feature is a must. Its amazing that VIMEO is so against it.

Nudo Adopt

Nudo Adopt Plus

Just add the function. You sound like a stubborn children, even though its clear from the comments this is a feature people want. Give the people what they want!

CH PRINCESSE GRACE

CH PRINCESSE GRACE PRO

I also need mute option when autoplay a video. You say in your Pro version (in french): Players HTML5 entièrement personnalisables et intégrables
So, where is the mute option?

The Glasgow Video Company

The Glasgow Video Company

I would also like to add my voice to this request for a feature that really should be standard. Right now, I'm having to create two versions of my showreel, one with audio and one without. Although I achieve the desired result, it's a ridiculous workaround that really should not be necessary in this day and age.

Visual Connections

Visual Connections Plus

6 years on and still waiting for ?autoplay=1&mute=1

?background=1 has its place, but it's not what people are asking for here. We need the sound to be unmuted if the user interacts with the video, same as on Facebook or Twitter.

andrew osta

andrew osta

I would like to mute the sound of the videos I upload... can you implement that? just the same way i can make a video private, I should be able to mute it or add a different soundtrack to it. Thanks

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.