CoccinellaTeam

CoccinellaTeam

Add support for the Ogg Theora codec just like Google Video does. In my case, the files are 2 to 3 times smaller than the MPEG2 version of the same file.

triplefox

triplefox

I'm using the "recordmydesktop" program on Linux for game videos and it uses only Theora. Adding support would let me avoid an unnecessary transcode step.

Nova deViator

Nova deViator

Please include ogg theora. Very good quality compression and it's free! (as in media)

Stephan

Stephan

h264 FTW :) but hey, more format, more fun :)

Joseph James Frantz

Joseph James Frantz

Andrew I have to go with the others on this. Vimeo is a great site. Being able to upload Ogg Theora would help a lot of us out here.

Johan

Johan

I use Istanbul on Ubuntu that outputs ogg theora :)

+1

Julian Oliver

Julian Oliver

+1

also echoing triplefox + mirko's comments: recordmydesktop is a super OGG/Theora-only capture app i use often too.

Brian

Brian

yes! Please support the free Theora format. Theora/Vorbis are about to go mainstream with native playback support for them in Firefox 3.1. Now is the time!

Cornerstone Community

Cornerstone Community

I agree, my screen capture tutorials would look so good in HD .ogv without needing to transcode

alex r

alex r

i would also love ogv support. ill be using youtube until then.

Marte Baquerizo

Marte Baquerizo

I'd love to see the ogg-theora/matroska support for uploading.

Charles Goodwin

Charles Goodwin

Ogg Vorbis is the only patent unencumbered codec out there. It is important that you guys support it, as it is only going to get more popular in the future.

Uwe Hermann

Uwe Hermann

+1

Please allow for OGG Theora uploads. Not supporting the only really open format is ridiculous. No vimeo for me until that is fixed.

Piotr Esden-Tempski

Piotr Esden-Tempski

+1

OGG Theora is really important. It is an open format why is it not supported?

Joel Pitt

Joel Pitt

+1

It even says Vimeo support it on wikipedia, but this is lies it seems.

Laura Whimfield

Laura Whimfield

Yes please. I do a lot of screencasts and OGG is my preferred format.

Odin Hørthe Omdal

Odin Hørthe Omdal

+5

Ogg Theora FTW. We'll get nice support in Firefox 3.5. There you can also do cool things in javascript with it, so we can drop the whole Flash-ugliness! :D (And only use it as fallback for deprecated browsers)

tuqueque

tuqueque

+1 for ogg Theora/Vorbis here too... Also for Matroska container!

Thanks

James Mason

James Mason

Yet another frustrated recordmydesktop user. The upload accepts .ogg files, but then seemingly eats them. What's the deal?

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

It's not a format we currently accept and it's a fairly low priority right now. Sorry but there are a lot of things we're working on.

Thijs Niks

Thijs Niks

+1

I understand that it is not a priority, but it would certainly be cool if Vimeo is one of the first to really use the HTML5 video capacities of Opera and Firefox. And supporting Ogg Theora is morally a good thing to do. (What is next, Dirac support? That would be awesome)

Firdaus bin Aziz

Firdaus bin Aziz

+1

Supporting open standards is a worthwhile investment. It is the logical thing to do.

blip.tv certainly has their priority in the right place. Maybe all ogg users should go there now.

diacoz

diacoz

Add support for the Ogg Theora codec.

I´m from Uruguay. We are working for a web www urguayeduca.edu.uy with the project one laptop per child, this laptop run linux and we need support for ogv.Thanks
Congratulations for your site.

UpStream

UpStream

+1.

You should be positioning yourself with unique features like this methinks. It would garner a lot of respect in the community.

Choffee

Choffee

Would be really useful here as I am starting to use it for all my video stuff.
Thanks

Mariusz Cielecki

Mariusz Cielecki

+1
My vote goes here too.
The codecs are free, as in free beer, so go and add support for it...

buybigtires

buybigtires

Ogg would be awesome...please add support for this media type.

Luca Bruno

Luca Bruno

This feature request is up since two years. Just swithing to another video sharing website.

Nabil Yahiaoui

Nabil Yahiaoui

votes++;

i like vimeo and videos shared here. i like theora and the new firefox video engine, i use freebsd (great os) and there is no flash plugin for that platform, we (freebsd users) have to use emulators to play flash videos using the linux plugin (it doesn't play very smoothly thought especially with high quality vids).

it is possible to give the choice to users with a simple js script, it is not urgent to convert all the videos available to ogg (like dailymotion did), at least we will be able to watch some of the new videos without enabling flash, saving our system resources for a few more web tabs :-)

Kenny

Kenny

+1 on this!
Go open source ogg theora!

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

Going to close this now since "+1" reposted a hundred times doesn't really help other than to clog up the front page. We fully support Ogg/Theora as an upload format. As for playback, the likeliness of that happening is close to zero at the moment.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.