Foundry

Foundry PRO

Hi,

We've had a problem with the following video:

vimeo.com/25765820

The original file is 140MB, and reasonably high res. If you download the file from vimeo using that link, the quality is good.

However, if you play the video from that link, it is what looks like 320x240 or something very like that - very very poor quality.

When we check the settings, it says it is already the highest resolution, but that clearly can't be true.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks in advance!
H.

Link: vimeo.com/25765820

Mark

Mark Staff

Hello! You should re-export your video with our recommended compression settings for best quality. Take a look at this page for some information and tutorials:

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/compression

Foundry

Foundry PRO

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I can understand that we could get better quality if we did as you explain, but should we really be punished so heavily (check the res in the video to see what I mean)?

The resultant video isn't just 'not quite optimal' - it's like a video suitable for a dial-up connection!

We have a youtube channel as well, and this video uploaded fine.

It would be good to get to the bottom of this. Could it perhaps be a bug?

Mark

Mark Staff

Well the biggest problem with the file is your bitrate. 285 Kbps is too low no matter what video codec you use. You can keep trying FLV if you'd like to, but if you don't raise your bitrate to 2,000kbps then it's going to continue to look the same. I'd still recommend an h.264 MP4 file though.

Foundry

Foundry PRO

I wonder if perhaps we have to provide the file as H264 format. I thought it would be converted for playback as that, but maybe not...

That's the only thing I can think of, but I wonder why it's not a problem with youtube.

Matt Hamilton

Matt Hamilton

Don't get too hopeful. Vimeo can't deal with HD video unless it is 1280x720 resolution. ie. it sucks at screencasts. If you upload anything smaller (e.g. 960x720) then it reduces it down to some lower crappy resolution.

Mark

Mark Staff

Hi Matt, videos must be 1280 pixels wide to be encoded in HD. Sorry!

Wiet Wietmans

Wiet Wietmans

Hi,

I uploaded 5 HD videos (1280x720), all of them have been encoded with the same settings. They are all 4500kbps and use h264 compression.

The issue is that the last 3 are NOT available for playback in HD.

Based on what I read here I have respected all restrictions for the file

The first 2 are available in HD:
vimeo.com/25925529
vimeo.com/25925884

The last 3 are NOT available in HD:
vimeo.com/25938077
vimeo.com/25938248
vimeo.com/25939837

I do not understand, could anyone please help?

Regards,
Wiet

Link: vimeo.com/25938077 vimeo.com/25938248 vimeo.com/25939837

Mark

Mark Staff

Hello! Basic members are limited to 1 HD upload per week, sorry.

Wiet Wietmans

Wiet Wietmans

O... I see. I guess that changed?

No problems... I have an alternative ;-)

Mark

Mark Staff

That limit has always been in place. Sorry about that!

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hello, sorry about that. I took a look at your video's meta data and it looks like your video actually has a mpeg2 codec with a bit rate of 15 Mbps. We can only guarantee optimal quality if you follow our recommended compression settings. Also, if possible, I'd recommend using a resolution of at least 1280 pixels wide so that we can encode your video in HD!

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/compression

A2 visualization & animation

A2 visualization & animation

Hi, i followed your recommended compression setting, but the quality when i upload on vimeo is lower than when i play it on my computer, i don't understand, advice please.

Link: vimeo.com/26792403

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, unfortunately the quality of the original video file will always look better than the version that Vimeo encodes. Vimeo re-encodes everything so that it is optimized for web streaming, which always comes at the expense of the video's quality. We try to minimize this, though. As I mentioned before, by resizing your video to a width of at least 1280 pixels will enable us to encode your video in HD, which you will find increases the quality comparatively.

6360 Productions

6360 Productions

Hi all - I used to be frustrated with getting the settings just right too. Then I started using Adobe Media Encoder (part of CS5) which has a setting called "Vimeo HD." I run all my files through it and they look great, even the wedding I uploaded a few days ago that was over a gigabyte. No, I don't work for Adobe, I was just super tired of wasting time trying to figure out how to manually encode everything. Worth thinking about if you're doing this for a living or if you already own Adobe products and just never investigated Encoder.

Deirdre Murray-Holmes

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.