Sam Huisman

Sam Huisman

Hello,

Through here I am making a suggestion to solve a possible problem for all audiophiles. I was going through the help center and saw that under 'compression settings', the highest possible sample rate for audio is 44.1 kHz. As a Sound Designer, I have to say this is rather strange!

All audio recorded by camera's and other A/V equipment intended for Video/TV/Broadcast is standardized at 48 kHz, as is the standard upon export to whatever stereo or surround format (or any multiplication of that, e.g. 96 kHz).

Converting 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz introduces audible aliasing. It is easily prevented by making the Vimeo standard equal to the professional standard of 48 kHz, and also speeds up the conversion process. I also found it quite strange to see 48 kHz for audio in the preset "Vimeo HD" in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.

Pierre Paré-Blais

Pierre Paré-Blais Plus

I was just about to post a thread on this myself and came upon yours.

As both a sound designer and a cinematographer, I also strongly suggest Vimeo moves to the standard 48kHz sampling rate. Sam is absolutely right in saying that the down conversion from 48 to 44.1 can in many occasion introduce very audible artifacts, specially when the conversion is handled by a video app relying on the quicktime engine, and even more so when the audio contains many subtleties and details. In my experience only pro audio app can properly handle the conversion and even then you have to know wich way to go about it... it is much simpler and gives much higher quality to simply stay at 48kHz. it's also worth noting that this down sampling issue only applies to the 48kHz to 44.1kHz scenario, going from other often used pro standard like 96kHz to 48 or even 192kHz to 48 doesn't introduce this issue because they are both multiple of 48 (or actually multiples of 2 to be precise)! and up sampling (say from 44.1 to 48) really isn't an issue at all because adding samples doesn't change the audio, while you won't gain any quality, you won't degrade it either.

While I know a lot of videos on Vimeo probably have audio derived from CDs and mp3 (which are 44.1), a majority of us edit our material in some sort of NLE, which all default at 48, specially the most popular ones anyway.

it would just make more sense it seems
just my two cents

Vimeo is still the best video website out there for video quality!

David Petrofsky

David Petrofsky Plus

There was a 44.1 khz video on youtube that demonstrates aliasing problems when played on a 48 khz soundcard in Windows Vista or Windows 7, so somehow upsampling alias issues are possible, although in that case I think it was more about a Windows resampling bug. I would suggest that rather than force everything to 48, it just leaves it at 44.1 if it's 44.1, or 48 if it's 48.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.