Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Tony, sorry about that. I am working on making you thumbnails now.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sure thing, Tony. It looks like your thumbnails are up.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Micah, sorry for the wait. Your thumbnails are up!

Garrett Ewald

Garrett Ewald Plus

The only option I seem to have is to upload an image for my Thumbnails, but I noticed in a training video that I might be able to see frames from the video to chose from, or pick a frame myself, but it doesn't seem to be working. Some of my videos start with black so this is frustrating. Especially since uploaded images only remain for a month, it said. Is this a limitation of being a basic user?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Garret, can you link me to a video you are having trouble with? The ones I saw all had thumbnails.

Garrett Ewald

Garrett Ewald Plus

I uploaded a still image I had handy (though one didn't load properly), but had the impression it was possible to select a frame from the actual video. The uploaded ones have a 30 life, is the same true of frames from the video?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Garrett, sorry for the confusion. Yes, Vimeo generates thumbnails for you from your video, yet, they are deleted a month after your video is uploaded. I am confused by what you mean by, "have a 30 life".

Garrett Ewald

Garrett Ewald Plus

Slip of the finger, meant 30 day lifespan. Does it revert to the first frame of the file after 30 days? Black frames aren't very appealing to see. When does it show allow you to pick frames to be your thumbnail? Right after uploading the video?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Garret, no, it should not revert after 30 days and the generated thumbnails are available to choose from up to a month after your video is uploaded.

I checked out all of your videos and each one has a thumbnail, I'm not seeing any black frames. Can you please update your FireFox to the current version and try clearing your cache and cookies? If you are still having trouble, please link me to a specific video that you are seeing the black frames on.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Peter, I'm working on making you thumbnails now.

Peter Lind

Peter Lind

Could you put an image of my picture on it...its in beginning of video

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Micah, unfortunately, that is most likely related to a cache issue on Facebook's end. Facebook will save in its cache the thumbnail from when your video is first posted. So, if you post your video before a thumbnail has been created on Vimeo, no thumbnail will show on Facebook until Facebook's cache is recycled.

Chris Lever

Chris Lever

Hi, I'm new to Vimeo. I uploaded via Imovie and the thumbnail is black, I looked for a way to edit tumbnails but don't see it. Please advise. Heres the video vimeo.com/26949065

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Chris, sorry for the confusion. It looks like your video has been deleted. In the future, please refer to this FAQ for information on how to change your thumbnail.

Link: vimeo.com/help/faq#thumbnail

Garrett Ewald

Garrett Ewald Plus

Those are images I uploaded. The first frame of the videos is black. Still wondering if there is a way to select a frame from the video to be the Thumbnail. Is that an option when the video is first updated? Is the black I was seeing the first frame of the video? If so I'll upload the videos with a better first frame. Or does the Thumbnail revert to black after 30 days regardless of the source of the image?

For those asking how to do this, click on settings for a video, and on the left you'll see a link "Thumbnails". You can upload an image, but it will only stay there for 30 days apparently.

Somewhere I saw a screen shot of Vimeo that showed a way to select a frame from the video to be the Thumbnail, but I can't get that to work.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Garret, sorry for the confusion, did you see my above post? To answer your question, no, you can only choose a generated thumbnail image within 30 days of your video's upload. After 30 days, those generated images that were created are deleted but your thumbnail image will remain the same.

None of your videos' thumbnails appear black to me and from what I can tell when you said, "Those are images I uploaded" you are not seeing black thumbnails either. If you are asking about the black first frame of your video, that is on your end. A thumbnail should not revert to black after 30 days, is this what happened to you?

The FAQ you were referring to is linked below.

Link: vimeo.com/help/faq#thumbnail

Philthy Films

Philthy Films

Hey Ian! I have put out 2 new edits, and both are not letting me choose my thumbnail? All other vids in the past have been no problem... what to do?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hey there, sorry about that. It looks like your latest video now has thumbnails and I am working on making some for 'Weekend Ruckus 1' now.

hkn_film

hkn_film

Hi Ian. I uploaded a new video but I have thumbnail problem on that video. It still have colour band thumbnail. What can I do? Please advise...

Here is my video : vimeo.com/27025536

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, I'm seeing your thumbnail fine. Can you try clearing your browser's cache and cookies?

hkn_film

hkn_film

Thnx for your reply. I tried it but the problem is, when I share video on facebook, it still have colour band thumbnail..

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Oh, I see. Unfortunately, that is a cache related issue on Facebook's side. To avoid this in the future, please wait until your thumbnail has been created on Vimeo before posting on Facebook, as Facebook will save the available thumbnail at that time in its cache. So, even if your thumbnail changes and you post later, Facebook still recognizes that initial thumbnail (in this case, the color band) as belonging to that video link.

hkn_film

hkn_film

So I cannot do anything?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Besides waiting for Facebook's cache to refresh, nope. Sorry about that, I've been there too.

hkn_film

hkn_film

Thnx for your help... I will wait :)

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.