Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen Staff

Impotant Note Unfortunately the Vimeo staff will not be able to offer support for all the issues or problems that may occur when setting up a domain. We strongly suggest asking a friend who has done this before for help, or see if one of your fellow Vimeo members can give any advice in the thread below.

Again, the Vimeo Staff will NOT be able to offer much advice beyond these instructions.

As a Vimeo PRO member, you can use a custom domain name for your Portfolios (example: example.com). You can easily use a domain you already own, or purchase a domain name elsewhere, then follow these instructions. If you already own the domain name you want to use, you can skip step number 1.

1. Purchase the domain name from a registrar such as GoDaddy, Me-Net, or Register.com. This can be done for about $10 per year.
  2. If you want your Portfolio to live on your top-level domain such as “example.com” then you will want to follow the registrar’s instructions to set the domain’s A-Record to 74.113.233.155 Learn more about A-Records en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_record#A
  3. If you want your portfolio to live on a subdomain such as “videos.example.com” then you will need to add a CNAME Record pointing to vimeopro.com Learn more about CNAME records en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNAME_record)
  4. You may have to wait up to 72 hours for these changes to take effect on the whole Internets.
  5. You can test your domain by using the “check domain” link on the Portfolio settings page.

If you have more questions, you can try posting below to see if your fellow Vimeo Community members can help you. We also suggest asking a friend who has set up custom domains before for help.

Andrea Allen

Andrea Allen Staff

Sorry, but the Vimeo Staff will not be able to offer help setting up custom domains on Vimeo PRO Portfolios.

If you have more questions, you can post in this thread to see if your fellow Vimeo Community members can give you some advice!

We also strongly suggest asking a friend who has set up custom domains before for help.

Specialized TSW Service Videos

Specialized TSW Service Videos PRO

Can custom domains point to more than one portfolio? I don't know if this is a Vimeo limitation or not. I can enter a custom domain in the Portfolio settings page. However, if I create a second Portfolio, I am not able to use the same custom domain name. I thought I could use custom.domain.com/secondportfolio, but I can't. Thus, I don't know whose limitation that is: Vimeo's or the Internets'. Thanks.

Story View Video

Story View Video PRO

I'm up against the same issue...urgent b/c I have a client waiting on me!! I'm simply trying to set up a subdomain to point to a portfolio...
so it would be: mydomain.com/myportfolio
have you made any headway with this or discovered a solution??
thanks!! Paul

Susanne Vielmetter LA Projects

Susanne Vielmetter LA Projects PRO

I couldn't find a solution for this either. It almost looks to me that the idea is, that one would only have one portfolio per domain/subdomain. But I don't want to make a new subdomain for each and every new portfolio. It would make more sense to do something like video.domain.com/portfolioname.
Is there any solution for this or is it intended to be one portfolio per domain?
Thanks! Tobias

Luke T.

Luke T.

Is there a section in the portfolio that can be used for non video applications such as an "about" page?

Luca de Salvia

Luca de Salvia PRO

Do you intend to make the templates more interactive in the future? ( I mean with the capability to add links to one's blog, contact details and still images)

Thanks

ILGM, Inc.

ILGM, Inc. PRO

SECURITY ERROR:

I am getting the following Security Error on ALL Microsoft IE9 browsers trying to access video.icontrolwebstudio.com

"This page is accessing information that is not under its control. This poses a security risk. Do you want to continue?"

I have validated this as an issue for IE9 only on three (3) different machines.

IE8 is fine as well as FireFox, Chrome and Safari.

Please advise - this is a show-stopper for Custom Domains!

Chris.

Link: video.icontrolwebstudio.com

Kiowa Dohosan

Kiowa Dohosan

Hello I interested in the Pro package but i need to find out more about the custom domains. So can I set up something like below please?

action.mydomain.com goes to portfolio 1
horror.mydomain.com goes to portfolio 2

Is this possible to do for all portfolio's?

Thank You

Craig Campbell

Craig Campbell Staff

Hi Kiowa,

This is indeed possible. You have to add a CNAME record with your registrar for each subdomain you would like to use.

© Nousha Photography

© Nousha Photography PRO

Fantastic, I sign up to your new service because I want to take advantage of the custom domain feature and your instructions on how to enable this are lamentable, and you now state you won't help anymore...Or answer any further questions... What on earth is that all about? Cos' I certainly don't know how to set it up! Maybe one of you could interrupt your day and write up an in depth 'how to' for us luddites out here, the luddites with the credit cards, that are paying for this service.

Mike Wurzelbacher

Mike Wurzelbacher PRO

If you hosted thru Godaddy, they'll do it for you, very quick. Basically you can go to the website
of your hosting company, login and activate URL forwarding & masking (masking prevents when clients type in 'awesome.com', them seeing the page load with the gobbley-gook 'real' URL.
Then cut n paste your actual portfolio URL into the appropriate 'forward from' box under the URL forward/masking section. Put your 'awesome.com' address into the 'forward to' text box. Worked for me?

Link: futurebacher.com

resonation

resonation PRO

I'd like to be able to integrate my portfolio page into my existing website (i.e. resonationmusic.com/tv_work.html) however there doesn't seem to be a way to create links BACK to other pages on my site FROM a portfolio page. Kind of like a dead end? Is the idea is for the Portfolio page to open in a new, separate window? (so the rest of my site; links to other pages etc. remain open separately in the original browser window?) That doesn't seem very elegant though.

I looked in the portfolio settings under the "connections" tab and thought I'd found the answer in the "Add another link" drop down menu, however the options are all to preexisting networking/content creation sites - no option to type in a link to your own site.

The only other thing I can think of is to type the various URLS of teh other pages on my website into the "Description" field of the Basic Info section in Settings, however we are warned not to enter HTML (does a link to another page count?)

If this inquiry makes any sense to anyone I'd really appreciate some thoughts or insights. Thanks:

Link: vimeopro.com/user8007198/tv-spots-trailers-themes

Brian Dressler

Brian Dressler

Using Vimeo Pro, is there a way to embed a portfolio page and specify which domains the embed code will be functional on? We would like to prevent the scenario of someone sharing password to portfolio page URL. Any suggestions on how to embed your player with a list of videos that can be played and ensure they can only be played from designated domain?

Link: vimeopro.com

tom sandle

tom sandle

hey i noticed this comment:

Andrea Allen staff 13 days ago
Hi Drake,
Please feel free to share your critique, but comments that degrade anyone's work are not tolerated on Vimeo.

...can't take a little criticism? u must really suck at wut u do....

Mark

Mark Staff

Hey! We will respond to you in the other thread you posted in. In the future please do not make posts in threads unrelated to your issue.

A.D.S.

A.D.S. PRO

Where are the portfolio templates? Where can I peruse them before deciding to purchase? Can Pro be integrated with my existing design? Or should I just embed with regular Vimeo?

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Hi Aubrey, you can't peruse the portfolios without a PRO purchase. Sorry but we'll definitely look into offering more of a sneak peek. For now though please note that we offer a full refund with in 30 days if you aren't satisfied.

Lenny Warren / Warren Media

Lenny Warren / Warren Media Plus

I've just upgraded to Vimeo PRo and i was thinking about how I can integrate it with my existing website, a photoshelter site for my stills work. I found the easiest way was to use IFRAME to embed the Vimeo page within my other site. You'll see it in operation on my site under the Video link...

Link: warrenmedia.co.uk

Calvary Chapel

Calvary Chapel Plus

Just be careful and test in all the major browsers first. iframes can cause problems.

David Dellaria

David Dellaria PRO

Lenny, I have a Pro account and cannot seem to find a way to get my Portfolio page to show up on a Go Daddy
webpage. The goal is to embed ( I assume ) my Vimeo
reels onto Go Daddy page in order to show clients, using a password to play these Demo Reels.

Go Daddy folks think I still would now need Vimeo Plus in order to make this link actually work ? What is an Iframe ?

tomribeiropereira

tomribeiropereira

Hi, i have an video file with 17 G´s that i don´t want to compress and at same time want to share it in hight quality with this size necessarily. Which type of account should i create for that???

Paul Stone

Paul Stone PRO

Is there a way to SHARE portfolios like we SHARE albums?

I send custom reels to clients all day and was wondering if there was a SHARE BUTTON function that sends a nice email with an embeded link and nice graphic of the PORTFOLIO like we can do for albums.

Mark

Mark Staff

No, sorry. The only way currently to share it is via a copied link.

Video Marsh

Video Marsh PRO

hello folks
someone please help me!

i'm trying to get my portfolio to show up whenever someone goes to videomarsh.com

right now, you have to put the www in front of it. if you just type videomarsh.com, it goes to my old index page.

i've changed the global DNS configuration so that there's two A type subdomains: "." and "www"

if anyone can tell me how i can get videomarsh.com to go to my portfolio... i would massively appreciate it.

thanks!!

Raz Surf Camp

Raz Surf Camp PRO

Hi! I want to put a custome domain. I just registered my domain (arturosanchezstudio.com), but I need to purchase a host??. Because I put my domain, and Vimeo talk me that this domain doesn't exist. Thanks!

Big Media

Big Media PRO

I want my portfolio x to display on x.domain.com. I changed my CNAME to point x to vimeopro.com. It is now loading the vimeopro homepage. Should I have pointed the CNAME to the absolute path of the portfolio x?

Link: bigstudios.bigmedia.tv/

iTestSuccess

iTestSuccess

Can a portfolio which is assigned to a domain be behind a pay wall or not? I'm going to do this myself, but before I start working on it, I was hoping whether someone could tell me "sorry that cannot be done" so I could save some time, or the opposite of course.

I think you can see what I want to do, make the portfolio only accessable to persons logged in as members.

Because what it seems to me right now is that the portfolio can only live at the top of the domain or subdomain.... in other word the portfolio can be at example.com or abc.example.com but not at example.com/members or abc.example.com/members

Matt Schwab

Matt Schwab PRO

Are there no nameservers to point the domain name to? I guess I still haven't found a good reference as to what to do with the domain A-Record. That wiki-link on top says what it is, but not the how.

Thanks in advanced.

CCD Expo

CCD Expo

I get the confirmation message that everything is set up correctly, but unfortunately, my custom URL (ccd.tv) shows the Vimeo PRO advertising landing page for vimeo.com pro... rather than the CCD Expo portfolio page that has been set up with title, logo, description, custom colors, etc. using the "carriage" theme... please help!

Does this Vimeo landing page show up just because there's a 72 hour waiting period for domain name server resolution? Or is there a problem with the set up?

Thanks!

Link: ccd.tv

CCD Expo

CCD Expo

This error also applies to videos.ccd.tv. I tried both ways just to test...

Link: videos.ccd.tv

Matt Schwab

Matt Schwab PRO

Yeah, same thing here. Just going right to the vimeo pro landing page.

It's also telling me that my A record is fine, but I need to change the CNAME, which I did. Then I took out the A record (not sure why I had to do that) but it's still telling me the CNAME is not okay. Pretty frustrating.

Croon Elektrotechniek B.V.

Croon Elektrotechniek B.V. PRO

Eventually it's working. After the weekend the CNAME directed me to the portfolio. I don't know if someone of the staff adjusted something, or that the DNS adjustments needed that amount of time to work properly, but it's working.

Just to be clear: When you want to use a CNAME to direct to a portfolio, just create a CNAME alias that points to vimeopro.com (just that, nothing more) like the notes at the top of this subject mention. The Vimeo servers will redirect the incoming traffic to the right portfolio. You don't need to do anything more to get it going.

GridStars

GridStars PRO

Same issue here, directing the A record just getting the vimeopro landing page and now being asked to direct a CNAME ???????

Link: gridstars.co.uk

GridStars

GridStars PRO

When i test the domain i'm still getting

"You need to create a CNAME record for your domain pointing to vimeopro.com. For help setting up your domain see this page"

GridStars

GridStars PRO

Can anyone shed any light on whether setting up a CNAME will work if the A record has failed ?????????????????

Pagine Video

Pagine Video PRO

Hi, I have seen your portfolio on your domain. Great! Please, can you tell me in which way you have configurated your A records? Have you changed every records and deleted every Cname records to change it in every A records with Vimeo ip? Thanks for your help!

Story View Video

Story View Video PRO

yes!!! this is exactly what I'm trying to do - does anyone know if this is now possible?? this SEEMS simple enough - but I don't know enough about it to do it...
Is this something Vimeo has to enable on their end, or if you own your domain name, are you simply able to create that extension, for example: mydomain.com/myportfolio ??
any help greatly needed and appreciated!!
Paul

Creativa Videos

Creativa Videos PRO

Hi, Is there any way that you can make the videos play one after the other one automatically in the portfolio, I mean: Video 1 plays and then when finished Video 2 plays and so on.
And another question: Can you add an external link or some text .
Thanks

Jonathan X

Jonathan X PRO

What are the maximum sizes for Portfolio Header and Background graphics?

Greg Dorsey

Greg Dorsey PRO

Wondering the same...Did you get a response? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Jonathan X

Jonathan X PRO

I tried 300x900 and it worked, check out my portfolio header.

Pagine Video

Pagine Video PRO

Hi, I have seen your portfolio on your domain. Please, can you tell me in which way you have configurated your A records? Have you changed every records and deleted every original Cname records to change them in every A records with Vimeo ip? Thanks for your help!

FaderPro

FaderPro PRO

I am looking for a solution for putting a custom URL to a portfolio that live in a password protected area of our site. It is my understanding that even though I can create a custom URL, that the portfolio still live on Vimeo and once someone sees the URL/Code, then can easily distribute the portfolio domain? Is this correct?

I also know you can password protect the portfolio, but we have many users each with a unique UN/PW that we want to use to give them access to certain content that we do NOT want distributed. The password feature there is to set a MASTER password, which will not work.

Any help on this would be great! I am very surprised that there is not the ability to EMBED a portfolio. We had a service before that allowed us to create playlists (aka portfolios) then Embed them on protected pages on our site.

Thanks for any help

Ozuki Films

Ozuki Films

Man 200 bucks. I feel robbed, no support from Vimeo is LAME. Still not fixed. Don't know why. CHEERS VIMEO.

Isprod

Isprod

hear hear! I was expecting a bit more features, at least the possibility to add text.

Tálamo Filmes

Tálamo Filmes PRO

Hello,

I’m from Brazil and I got the Vimeo pro account. Now I’m trying to use my domain linked to my portfolio.
I follow the tutorial but when I type my domain (talamofilmes.com.br) it takes me to teste.talamofilmes.com.br
Should I put something else on the A-recorde or just the IP 74.113.233.155?

Now I linked my site to my Portfolio, but the URL changes to vimeopro.com/talamofilmes/videos and I would like to have talamofilmes.com.br

Please help me. I’m put a ad on a magazine and it will be good to have it fixed before next week.
Thanks,
Fernando Cunha

3dnpost

3dnpost

Hello,
I have the same problem as talamo
I have the domain phcfilms.cl and I want, when you go to this page will see the portfolio that create in vimeopro
I don't no where to redirect dns. or put the Ip adrees
is also necessary to have a hosting?
if I can help I will be grateful
Thanks

Link: phcfilms.cl

Pedro Souto

Pedro Souto

Hi,
If I buy Vimeo Pro, can I limit the video to be shown only on an internal website/intranet?
Thanks in advance

Sema Films

Sema Films PRO

Is it possible to utilize my own domain name when embedding a video?

Example - Now my embed codes show this...

STN Media

STN Media PRO

I've got multiple portfolios with my account. Can my CNAME point to a landing page where the user can select the portfolio they want? Right now all I get is a "we couldn't find the page you are looking for" error.

Link: vimeopro.com/stnmedia

Synergy Web Video

Synergy Web Video PRO

I've just signed up for Vimeo Pro and was hoping to use this VP website as my new website. The hope was when customers punch in synergywebvideo.com, it would directly take them to the website I've created on Vimeo Pro. I've directed the domain’s A-Record to 74.113.233.155 as directed, but when I type in my web address, it takes me to the page advertising Vimeo Pro - the one that says "Get Pro - Learn more." So I have two questions: a) is it possible to have a domain name that doesn't have Vimeo anywhere in the address (like synergywebvideo.com - right now the only way to get to the Synergy Web Video web site is to have vimeopro.com/synergywebvideo/synergy-web-video and b) if so, how does one make that happen.
Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Link: synergywebvideo.com/, vimeopro.com/synergywebvideo/synergy-web-video

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hello, as I said before, we have reduced staff coverage over the next few days and as such it will take extra time for us to reply to you. I apologize for the inconvenience.

It appears your portfolio URL should be videos.girlsnightout.tv. You may need to wait a few hours for the changes to propagate throughout the internets.

Tim Ticehurst

Tim Ticehurst

hey guys, just got a new pro acct and dealing with the homepage loading as vimeopro.com. Could someone check to see if it's set up correctly? thx

Link: timticehurst.com

Pagine Video

Pagine Video PRO

Infact I have delete the old Cname records of the domain panel and create two A records with the Vimeo IP. And now I see the page vimeopro.com ... What is the right procedure ???

Pagine Video

Pagine Video PRO

Hi, I have seen your portfolio on your domain. Great! Please, can you tell me in which way you have configurated your A records? Have you changed every records and deleted every Cname records to change it in every A records with Vimeo ip? Thanks for your help!

Pagine Video

Pagine Video PRO

Hi Staff or friends all. I have to redirect my Portfolio pages to my domain. In the panel of the domain I have delete the default CNAME data and create a new A record with the Vimeo IP. Is it correct? I cannot see the redirect... Maybe have I to delete every records and add always a A record with the Vimeo IP ???
Thanks for your help.

Marvy Media

Marvy Media

The documentation for setting up custom domains is confusing. What you need to do is change CNAME to point to vimeopro.com (note no www) if your site address is to be of the form mywebsite.com
If the link will be bridesname.mywebsite.com then add an A record (bridesname) to point to vimeopro.com (again note that there is no www)
Do not delete the CNAME
Then on Basic Info page under Portfolio URL tick Custom & then add the URL either mywebsite.com if you changed the CNAME or of the form bridesname.mywebsite.com if you are using a sub-domain & changed the A record

So when someone types in bridesname.mywebsite.com a lookup in the DNS sees that it points to vimeopro.com & the request is redirected. Then at vimeopro.com it 'knows' which Portfolio page you have linked to bridesname.mywebsite.com

Pagine Video

Pagine Video PRO

Hi.
I have a problem with my DNS configuration: the portfolio is OK (paginevideo.com) but clicking on the logo, I have an error. The page goes to paginevideo.com (paginevideo.com) (without the WWW.). And even if I insert the www into the settings of the portfolio, it disappears !!!
I have changed the original CNAME and deleted the www orginal CNAME with the VIMEO IP. Is it correct ???
Thanks for your help !!

Link: paginevideo.com

AshridgeVideos

AshridgeVideos

Hi, Thinking about upgrading to PRO, mainly for the custom domain feature. I would like to allowed users to view videos that are normally blocked to them ie they have a corporate firewall that blocks all video services. If I chose vimeo PRO and pointed a domain ("example.com") CNAME to the provided by vimeo IP will users still be blocked ?as the return path still be from vimeo and therefore blocked. Or does the users security things the video are coming from "example.com". Or even better is there another way to mask this on a plus account?

Mark

Mark Staff

The videos are still hosted by us and would probably be blocked.

Garry Neale

Garry Neale PRO

This is becoming a big problem for me. Under our PRO account we distribute training videos to customers on Health Service networks. Any ideas? What should we ask our customers to do?

Mark

Mark Staff

Which problem are you referring to exactly?

Garry Neale

Garry Neale PRO

Sorry, I was referring to the blocking of Videos by corporate firewalls. Assuming we cannot force the videos through the firewall, could we at least guide the customer as to what they should ask their IT department to do? Or should we just accept that some customers just cannot view our content in their workplace?

Mark

Mark Staff

You can tell them to ask their IT dept. to whitelist *.vimeo.com and *.vimeocdn.com - that should solve it.

Garry Neale

Garry Neale PRO

Thanks Mark, we'll do that. Be interesting to see if the IT Departments go along with it.

SLNN TV

SLNN TV

Hi,

Is there any way to stream contents from my server to my channel ? or Live streaming ?

Appreciate your kind help.

Thanks

SarathJ

SLNN TV

SLNN TV

Ok Thanks for ur quick responce.

Need another advice.

I have my channel in Roku box too. Is there any way to see number of viewers ?.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Staff

Do you mean subscribers? If so, that information is available on your channel on Vimeo, but not Roku.

Pagine Video

Pagine Video PRO

Hi.
I repeat the same message...

I have a problem with my DNS configuration: the portfolio is OK (paginevideo.com) but clicking on the logo, I have an error. The page goes to paginevideo.com (paginevideo.com) (without the WWW.). And even if I insert the www into the settings of the portfolio, it disappears !!!
I have changed the original CNAME and deleted the www orginal CNAME with the VIMEO IP. Is it correct ???

Thanks for your help !!

Pagine Video

Pagine Video PRO

What happens to your portfolios?? The "search" does not work and it is strange ... : this template (paginevideo.it/) seems be changed. The line under the logo has not the title at the center ... What happened ??

difftv

difftv PRO

Hi Vimeo... I love my vimeo pro account and profile. I am using the Minimalist template and it is fab. But I have one query... Although I have set it to show video descriptions, these never load first time and I have to refresh the page to see the associated copy. This is a real problem for me. Is there a way to fix it?

Juan Pablo Rojas

Juan Pablo Rojas PRO

Hi!
A few days ago I had my portfolio with vimeo pro. It works great, juanpablorojas.com. I have only one question, through CSS, I manipulated the title of the videos, but when I try to manipulate the text size on the information of each video, I could not identify it, how is it named? should not be P?

Thanks!

Charles Mackenzie-Hill

Charles Mackenzie-Hill PRO

Hello . I have a pro account, and wondered if you can have multiple portfolios pointing to multiple domain names? I have the Marbellarealestate.tv which works great. I bought a second domain name through godaddy menarabeach.tv . Unfortunately I can’t seem to get the numbers 74.113.233.155 to point vimeo accepted. Many thanks for your help in advance.
Charles

Link: menarabeach.tv

MeasurIT Technologies Ltd.

MeasurIT Technologies Ltd.

As per Croon :::: Just to be clear: When you want to use a CNAME to direct to a portfolio, just create a CNAME alias that points to vimeopro.com (just that, nothing more) like the notes at the top of this subject mention.

(And you need the set your portfolio name to your custom domain name)

But The Vimeo servers will redirect the incoming traffic to the right portfolio.

Until the Vimeo servers get set up the VIMEO pro home page will show - is this correct?

Or have I missed a step?

Memories By Design

Memories By Design PRO

Subdomain setup with a Cname not working for me.

Using Network Solutions for streamingmemoriesbydesign.com:
Alias: video
TTL: 7200
Refers to Host: vimeopro.com. (NetworkSolutions adds the extra . at the end. to my understanding, that should be ok?)

On Portfolio setup:
video.streamingmemoriesbydesign.com

When I click the test button, it says everything is working. However when I open the page: Server not found

When i ping video.streamingmemoriesbydesign.com : Could not find the host

This was configured 3 days ago and it's still not working. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Traffic Studio

Traffic Studio Plus

si paso mi cuenta de plus a Pro las invitaciones de compartir a amigos y el compartir albumes y videos es personalizable?, es decir pueden enviarse los correos para que lleguen con un email propio y NO el de Vimeo? puedo ubicar mi logo en la invitación que envío y que NO aparezca el logo de Vimeo?

Emily Garrett

Emily Garrett Alum

Sorry for the trouble! We don't currently offer those features.

International Club of DC

International Club of DC PRO

You have such a great service! Thank you so much.

We are excited to start using our Pro account. The only problem is that we have already setup a CNAME for videos.internationalclubdc.com and when we click on the "test this domain" button, it says "Good news! Everything is working." Unfortunately when we pull up this page all we see is a generic advertisement about the Pro service.

We are waiting to get this resolved before using it. Is there a glitch somewhere that prevents this from working? The CNAME has already been properly setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

Link: videos.internationalclubdc.com/

Shikaya

Shikaya

hi i've done the steps for a subdomain, added the came record, and changed the portfolio URL, and got the green light. Now it just goes to the vimeopro landing page, not my portfolio

AND - please - I can't find the way to EDIT the settings of a portfolio once created... am i missing something? - when i click on the portfolio, it just goes to the USER view...

thanks!

Link: its.up2us.co.za

Casa Salsa

Casa Salsa PRO

Is there domain level control......or something to the same effect with pro? I want to embed my portfolio on my site ...help! :)

Casa Salsa

Casa Salsa PRO

But is it only on embedded videos or is it on the entire portfolio....that's what I'd like to do :)

Mark

Mark Staff

embedded videos only. You can't embed a portfolio.

Casa Salsa

Casa Salsa PRO

If the videos you have are on montage, can you use domain level control on the montage?

Turnpike Digital

Turnpike Digital PRO

FOR ANYONE WANTING MULTIPLE PORTFOLIOS WITHOUT CREATING NEW SUBDOMAINS: Use wildcard sub-subdomains!! Once you set it up, you can create as many portfolios as you want with custom URLs without having to edit any zone files.

To get it working, you have to create a new A Record or CNAME record in your website's DNS manager. Either will work. Vimeo suggests a CNAME record. Godaddy can only do A records.

First choose your subdomain. This will be the same for all your URLs, so make it something like "portfolios" or "playlists". Your URLs will look like 3dreel.portfolios.example.com.

Now to edit the DNS on your website. If you're doing an A record, it will look like *.portfolios pointing to 74.113.233.155 (Vimeo's IP). For a CNAME, *.portfolios will point to vimeopro.com.

Once the changes take effect (5 minutes - 3 days), you can set your portfolios to use custom URLs! Note that they must have .portfolios.example.com after them (or whatever subdomain you chose).

Hope this helps!

Mark

Mark Staff

Chill tip! Thanks! Tell Owen that Mark says hi.

Turnpike Digital

Turnpike Digital PRO

Hi Mark!! You're very welcome. This is Owen - I'm the only one who uses this account. Melrose misses you and Kelsey!

Herb Wagreich

Herb Wagreich PRO

I want my portfolio to live on my top-level domain: herbwagreich.com. Where do I find the A-Record so I can change the number to 74.113.233.155?

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hi Herb,

You will need to change that with your domain provider, they should be able to help.

David Flores

David Flores PRO

Can I link my custom domain to my Vimeo channel or can it only be linked to portfolios?

Turnpike Digital

Turnpike Digital PRO

Yes, but that's a DNS setting within your website, not anything within Vimeo. You just have to make a new A or CNAME record that redirects your domain (or a subdomain) to your channel's URL.

Rodrigo Cuadrado

Rodrigo Cuadrado PRO

Hi!, I want to use a CNAME to direct to a portfolio. I created a CNAME videos.duoformacion.cl (videos.mydomain.cl) alias that points to vimeopro.com. But doesn`t work. The Vimeo servers don´t redirect the incoming traffic to the right portfolio (only redirect to vimeo pro page). Have been more than 3 days of waiting. Thanks for your help! Rodrigo

Enlace: videos.duoformacion.cl

Isprod

Isprod

Hello, is there any way you can add a textbox?
I would like to write info about my productions and so forth!

Diamond Tours, Inc.

Diamond Tours, Inc.

Hi, this is actually not a problem with the custom domain setup. We have that working just fine. This a question about embedding the individual videos using the custom domain in the URL.

Currently we have videos embedded on many of our website pages using the iframe embed code. For example:
iframe src='player.vimeo.com/video/12345678';

So now we have the custom domain setup and we want to swap in the custom domain into the code. You would think the code would look like ....
iframe src='videos.mysite.com/video/12345678';

But no. Instead of showing the video in a player like the first URL - what you see with the second URL the video displayed in the portfolio page along with the thumbnails of the other videos. This will not work for us. We want to be able to have individual videos embedded on multiple web pages - not have a single portfolio page.

Please advise us on the proper embed code so we can embed individual videos using our domain name.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, Using a custom domain doesn't change the fact that Vimeo is hosting the videos. You'll use the same embed code you find on the embed tab of your Settings page, with player.vimeo.com in it.

If you're still having trouble please contact us here: vimeo.com/help/contact

I'm gonna close this thread cuz it's a bit old and part of it are out-dated. :)

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.