Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi everyone, it is now possible to retrieve the URLs for external video files by using the new API. In the response for any /videos endpoint, you'll see a new "files" attribute that contains the mobile, SD, HD, and HLS playlist URLs. The "files" attribute is only revealed to PRO members for videos on their own account.

Take a look at our updated API documentation and API playground for further information: developer.vimeo.com/api/endpoints developer.vimeo.com/api/playground

Rocket Plant Studio

Rocket Plant Studio

Are there any plans to add the video file URLs for Vimeo PRO videos to the getInfo method call (authentication required of course)?

Süperfad

Süperfad

+1

This is pretty much mandatory.

MuWeb

MuWeb

That's true, otherwise how do we access through API to the third party video links to automate integration with a third party player?

We should really have the same level of information for files through API as we have in web interface don't you think? I mean what the point to allow us to have third party links for third party player in the web interface and restrict us to retrieve the same information through API... I don't see any valid reason, so can you please explain why as PRO member we don't have access to this?

Thanks

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

We're looking into doing this in a future version of the API. No ETA yet.

Fulcrum Media

Fulcrum Media

Is this close? If not, I would respectfully ask Vimeo prioritize this - Pro (*paying*) users with Community Pass on cannot retrieve their videos without violating terms of service by setting privacy to "Anyone" - we have b2b / sales-type videos and are very stuck.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

It is possible to get private videos through the API, just not the "Use your own player" URL.

Jnt Publishing

Jnt Publishing

an example or a tutorial howto would be great....

Fulcrum Media

Fulcrum Media

Can you elaborate or provide a link to an example? I'm using some WordPress plug-ins (including TubePress) and have the following issue:

I can assign videos to a channel.
I can then see thumbnails of videos in the channel using TubePress.
When I click on one though it will not play. I have to set Privacy of video to "Anyone" for it to play.

However, if I were to embed the video manually, it plays. I have my embed settings set to "Anywhere".

The variations in these settings confuses me - how do I successfully keep a video off Vimeo.com but still use the API to retrieve it / play it?

Thanks,

ZEBRADOG

ZEBRADOG Plus

Any word on this? We frequently have a need for a hosted video source for our custom application.. and love Vimeo.

Mike Gromer

Mike Gromer

I have a client that is using Vimeo Pro, and we really would like to be able to get the video file link via the API. It seems like this is a no brainer piece of data to return in even a basic Video call.

Hope this gets fixed soon!

B·U·T

B·U·T PRO

Is there any update on this? I would expect this to work, especially for a Pro account...

satischool

satischool

Another vote for this feature.

PCPC Video

PCPC Video PRO

+1 Another vote for this feature. Please add this soon.

Caspar Martig

Caspar Martig PRO

why are we paying more for vimeo pro - its a must have feature in a so called pro account...?!?
i don't get it.

NOW Magazine

NOW Magazine PRO

Threads about this have been going on for months. Can't believe we're still waiting for it to happen. I'm about to build a tool to allow our site editors to manually copy and paste the links from your site into our cms so that we can make this work. Seems ridiculous to me.

Ludis studio

Ludis studio PRO

And another vote.
I went PRO because I thought this was possible. But no...

David Jedd

David Jedd

I also will vote on this and mention it would be a great feature. It would make it play nice with a lot of video galleries for WordPress (specifically my new favorite Vimeography).

Anything in the works for this on the Vimeo side or a solution? And again, you guys are rad and have a hell of a product.

Thanks.

Link: vimeography.com/

David Anderson

David Anderson

What is the status of this issue? Could someone from Vimeo's staff comment with an update of some sort?

This is a critical piece to the PRO package puzzle. Without programmatic access to the video files, how are we supposed to programmatically upload and serve them?!

codewhisper

codewhisper

I would like to join the question. I just convinced a client to move to Vimeo. But for the complete business use case we need to access the download and file url through the API. Anything else is not acceptable if you have more then 10 videos.

Could you please give an update about this issue. The last one was a year ago.

Thanks.

beebac

beebac Business

I'm willing to use Vimeo pro however I really really need to access to video files through the API. When are you going to implement it ?

QuestPond

QuestPond PRO

I just bought vimeo pro. Very sad this feature does not exist. Please please save my family by providing this feature.

Yardi

Yardi PRO

This is a deal breaker for us !! were are a paying customer and all we are asking is API access to private Videos !
that's what we are paying for after all

Vidbo

Vidbo

Another one for this... why is this not already implemented? How are we supposed to get the video files automatically?

OHI

OHI PRO

wow I just saw the time of first staff response and it was 1 year ago.

"Andrew Pile Staff (1 year ago)
We're looking into doing this in a future version of the API. No ETA yet."

It's been a year and they still don't have this intersting to find out.

Academy Mortgage

Academy Mortgage PRO

We were just about to purchase pro and not having this feature could kill the whole project. Any updates?

GG Filmz

GG Filmz PRO

Wow...a lot of votes for this feature (me too!) and no word from support? Very sad.

JOINTHETEEM

JOINTHETEEM PRO

+1 here. A must-have for us, and no word from Vimeo staff since August 2011 on this issue??!! #Fail. Vimeo... not sure if you've noticed, but we all want to THROW OUR MONEY AT YOU, but we can't because you're not listening to us. C'mon guys.

Link: iloveskydiving.org/

CineMuse

CineMuse PRO

Same issue here. Vimeo, we love you and want to love you even more but please MAKE THIS WORK!

Felix Schwarz

Felix Schwarz

+1 from me.

I suspect Vimeo fears that you could use the platform as a plain transcoding service for just 200 $ per year. That way they have to spend a huge amount of CPU power (transcoding) but get little in reward (just one "play" per file and no storage as videos won't be stored permanently). But that's just guessing of course.

Jakub Solak

Jakub Solak

+1

It seems there is no workaround for this missing feature. I'll have to cancel my account. Without the direct links API is useless for my project.

Engine

Engine

Pro offering isn't useful enough - letting my account expire next week. Fully style-able player and download links really are essential for anyone wanting to use Vimeo as a proper service inside a web application. Glad to pay for features if they work right.

CohesiveFT

CohesiveFT

+1

Vimeo Support, are you there?

Dhiraj Bhandari

Dhiraj Bhandari

We are evaluating Vimeo as video streaming service provider for private commercial use. We will be using our own player and need direct link to the video file. Is there an ETA on when and IF it will be implemented? Otherwise its a no-go for us.

Holmes Millet

Holmes Millet PRO

+1

My use case is having a server watch for Vimeo upload file changes and encoding a .wmv and .mpg file for download on a video site Vimeo Universal Player with Download links below it.

Right now I have to copy and paste the original file url into the other app each time a vimeo video is changed, eww. I might as well use my current encoding service and create an upload system and bypass Vimeo altogether since the service is capable of encoding files in all formats required for a custom Flash/HTML5 player. I want to use Vimeo because they offer competitive video hosting prices and a no hassle customizable universal player and great video quality.

Albert Martin

Albert Martin

This is an essential feature to be able to fully utilize your API!

Geovane Fedrecheski

Geovane Fedrecheski

I'm in need of this feature too :/

as many others, thought that it was already possible..

So, +1 for it!

Pressalit A/S

Pressalit A/S PRO

+1 from me aswell

Can't believe it's not already there. First request 2 years ago.

Alexander Gräf

Alexander Gräf PRO

Check the new API.
File links have been added to the new "videos" endpoint.
$videos = $vimeo->request('/me/videos');
$videos = $vimeo->request('/videos/*clip_id');
developer.vimeo.com/api
Cheers
Alex

Cinecom

Cinecom

Still not possible eh?

MAGIC Magazine

MAGIC Magazine PRO

Jumping on this thread in hopes I'll get a notification if this comes to pass.

Programmatically getting the video URLs of a video through an API would be great. Or a web hook that posts the URL every time a video is uploaded. Either case would get the job done.

websix

websix

Since I am new to the whole vimeo API thing. Wasn't able to upload a testvideo, nor did I had a testvideo already included in my playground.

How exactly does this look like.
Are there different filetypes to chhose from for different browsers - talking about ogv, webm, mp4 etc?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Only PRO members can access the raw video files on their accounts hosted by Vimeo.

websix

websix

Thanks, I am aware of this.

So is it possible to get the different file types? asuming I am a PRO member of course.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

No, the video file URLs are direct links to the same transcoded that are used on vimeo.com - we use h.264 in an mp4 container.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.