Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Hey guys, I've got a new project idea!

With the chaos of everyday life consuming our senses, it is nice to sit back and enjoy moments and experiences that are often overlooked. This project aims to study the forgotten moments and times in life that we often pass by without acknowledging.

The rules? Well, it's pretty simple: -Video must be exactly one minute long -No camera movement (no panning, tilting, etc) -No editing whatsoever -Use original sound -Tag with '1 minute' -Add to the '1 minute' group - 1 Minute: a Vimeo Project

Looking forward to seeing your 1 minute moments!

Danner Gardner

Danner Gardner

I forgot about Dogme films. I want to watch one now.

Sam Welker

Sam Welker Plus

well there can be motion, but yes close to a photo. E.G. a 1 minute shot of a river..

Kate Foy

Kate Foy

Mmm ... a one minute meditation on film. I like it. Will give it a go sometime today.

Jelle Pothoven

Jelle Pothoven

Awesome idea! Kind of reminds me of the movie Sleep by Andy Warhol. Except that movie is a little bit longer..!

Trevor Tibble

Trevor Tibble

i like this. will have to do some thinking =]

Ed Husar

Ed Husar

I hate it when people answer a question with a question but here I go...

why do you need to move the camera?
why do you need to edit it?

:)

giovanni firrincieli

giovanni firrincieli

Well, I try to explain.
I think camera movements for film are like colors for painters: of course you can decide not to use all, but you may choose the ones you like...
About editing: one minute film without editing may give a documentaristic flavour, and I don't like this kind of movies..
That's why I prefer not to be restricted on creative components.

Sebastien Morin

Sebastien Morin Plus

Remember Louis Lumière and the firsts view of cinematographe. No movement, no editing. Just the incredible intelligence of where you put the camera.

Uncle Vince

Uncle Vince

I tried it - - interesting how LONG one minute can be under those circumstances

D A V E M C C R E A

D A V E M C C R E A

that's the beauty of it i think. the best video will be the one that makes one minute seem like 10 seconds ;)

Adam Schoales

Adam Schoales

I've uploaded mine but it doesn't seem to be adding itself to the group... hmm

isabel moros-rigau

isabel moros-rigau

I too uploaded my 1 minute video but it's not adding itself to the group.

Nader zaki

Nader zaki

i think it bad idea .....
i see in viemo alot long video that's why i get in this site
no edit mean shoud we movies for natural or ppl

Andrewb

Andrewb

great idea I just posted mine vimeo.com/7502404
taken in my village (in england)
lot's of bird and dog noises lol.

Stickman HRK

Stickman HRK

hey, first time being involved in these projects things, i uploaded it but it didnt ad itself to the group.

heres mine anyway vimeo.com/7563166

SeLaFilm

SeLaFilm

Hi..
I have a question according to the films I've seen. The rules don't say that I have to have one shot, right? So far I've seen only videos that are just one minute shots. Not that that is bad but I figure one can get more of a story out of one minute.

SeLaFilm

SeLaFilm

Turning the camera on and off and on and off, to me is not editing.

the detnator

the detnator

Sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a shot.

can't cope won't cope

can't cope won't cope

sounds a lot like the project they had on the "ballardian" which cannot be a bad thing ;)

Joe Staley Media

Joe Staley Media

We have an idea. Shall add to the group sometime soon.
Great idea Blake!

Emma-Lynn Whitman

Emma-Lynn Whitman

Is this an on-going project... or is there some kinda deadline?
Great idea, by the way! :)

charlie armour

charlie armour

ok i have uploaded my 1 minute video and wanted to know if its ok to put into your contest

Bartek "godai" Biedrzycki

Bartek "godai" Biedrzycki

The camera should remail still, but how about mounting it on a moving vehicle? Does it break the rules?

skyler

skyler

here's mine...
i know it's not like others that i've seen but, i think in life people take little conversations and relationships for granted and don't cherish the goofy times they have together.

also, also...
it was cool seeing you at dff, blake. sorry i couldn't muster up the social courage to say hi! :]
here: vimeo.com/10103002

Jack Murrey

Jack Murrey

this could be extremely sweet. My thoughts were maybe bring the action or focus to the camera rather than the other way around. Still shot but still a story being told.

rodolfo lagos

rodolfo lagos

could afford any type of editing, publishing "soft", without much interventionism, some type of transfer in the pictures or photo retouching, I say to those who do not have good cameras, so creativity could reach another level

Ben J.D Jennings

Ben J.D Jennings

Im going to have a crack at this beast. Upload Next Week.

Regards.

Dr.Spachemin

L-saurus

L-saurus

ill give this a go today :)

ZEROCOLA

ZEROCOLA

It seems interesting. I'll do this too :)

Karina Ai Nurunnisa

Karina Ai Nurunnisa

well, imma noob..
can i join this project with stopmotion?
when is the deadline?

xoanthony

xoanthony Plus

is there a way to add to group after video was already uploaded to my account prior? Still getting used to the controls oh captain.

John Dorman

John Dorman

technically.. this project would be impossible with the guidelines stated. every video has at least 2 edits.

Tim Sparks

Tim Sparks Plus

Is multiple shots with no editing acceptable? Or just a 1 minute shot?

RKDG

RKDG

i am definitely gonna try this! great idea and i just joined the group that this was inspired from

phb.me

phb.me

OK j'arrive
a+ patricia

Higo Sánchez

Higo Sánchez

The characters' movements also create long takes, not just the camera movements. Remember "Stranger Than Paradise" and tons of other great movies. New into this Vimeo thing. Hopefully tomorrow mine's will be uploaded... or whenever i'm done EDITING other stuf... Hahaha

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

I did, but it was inspired by The Pictures Don't Move group, which I highly recommend.

Videographers

Videographers

I think there are some longer versions.... as in "video wallpaper" Something like this guy has it:
vimeo.com/1226594

When you think about it, it makes sense. If you're out in nature, your eyes don't 'zoom' and edit the scene :)

mbad

mbad

wait for the video from the central of the world - Sudan

gordon mccann

gordon mccann

Hey Blake, I just went to my inbox and found a bunch of one minute videos that had lots of editing panning and zooming, have the guidelines changed???

Max Kondziolka

Max Kondziolka Plus

Project idea- Go outside, come up with any concept off the top of your head. Shoot for 5 minutes. Edit for 5 minutes (no more). Resulting in a spontaneous creation. check my profile for an example. titled - Run Fast- 5 minute project (read description)

Lydia Mackela

Lydia Mackela

waiting for time to pass can make you realize how slow time CAN be. instead of constantly going going going...

Erick James

Erick James

I took some footage of the moon with a 500mm lens last night. It was on a tripod but it was quite windy so some movement here and there. Would this be an exception in terms of "No Movement"?

Andrew Yuen

Andrew Yuen

so when you say no camera movement, would doing something like taking a video of what's happening outside the window of a plane be allowed?

Simple Studios

Simple Studios

Might give this one a go, are we allowed to alter the focus or does that count as camera movement?

Paula Jiménez

Paula Jiménez

Hey! Look at this!

I was thinking about a similar idea called Postal Service, a few months ago. Take a look on my vimeo page.

vimeo.com/16117171

It's pretty cool you can do things like that in vimeo! I have an idea that can maybe be developed in that page! Good luck with your projects!

JackFturku

JackFturku

i will really be on this one.

Pretty instresting to make 1 minute.vidoe

Leon

Leon

first time be here, nice idea, if u need, i d like to participe

Josh Clarke

Josh Clarke

Here's mine: vimeo.com/20852854

Not quite sure how it turned out to be 1:01 on Vimeo, but the video properties say it's 1:00...

I guess maybe I was close enough to 1:01, so Vimeo rounded up? Even when my camera showed 1:00?

Anyways, enjoy the video!

amy worthington

amy worthington

thats what I wanted to know so let me know if you find out lol :)

a&b

a&b Plus

I guess...
I mean... the subject is still in the project list so it have to be running.
Whatever... I did some 1 minutes and had good fun.
Inspiring.

a&b

a&b Plus

vimeo.com/22753200

snails making love and eating at the same time !!
one minute edit !
they can make love for several hours so it was not a problem !

SETE

SETE

2 years ago? and? somedoby do something intersting?

Arnold Arre

Arnold Arre

Sounds like a great project! Does trimming the video down to 1 minute count as editing, or does the actual raw footage have to be exactly 1 minute long? Just making sure :)

870613wmq

870613wmq

very good idea,why we didn't have this idea? in my county ,wo always follow others . FUCK

Frederik Truelsen

Frederik Truelsen

I have some ideas which I would like to try, so coming up next week I am probably ready with a little film.

Mo Mo

Mo Mo

Yay! A project an amateur can do!

Laura D

Laura D

Sounds cool, im gonna give this a go

Dr. Mohamed Lotfi

Dr. Mohamed Lotfi

This is Fun .. I think I need to join the ONE MIN VID.
I expect to have the chance ,, How can I Join ?

Steve Black

Steve Black

If you are from New York, can it be 50 seconds?

Ci7PaaN8

Ci7PaaN8

"1 shot, don't miss your chance to blow..."

Pat Heywood

Pat Heywood

This is such a good idea. I wish I was around when this was going strong... but I had fun making mine. I ended up shooting three: brushing my teeth, eggs cooking in the frying pan, or writing a note to a friend who i've been in love with but changing my mind about giving it. I, as you can see, chose the latter.. just because I think it had a deeper meaning than the other two ideas.

But again, I loved thinking about what to do. It was a challenge!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.