Publicis Seattle

Publicis Seattle PRO

My webserver (98.129.229.188) on Rackspace has been blocked from accessing the oEmbed API. This has taken much of my content offline.

What are the steps to resolving this issue and getting our Vimeo Pro content working in our website again?

Link: publicisseattle.com/

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

This is most likely due to hitting our rate limiter. Please make sure to cache the responses for a short time at least to avoid hitting it.

Publicis Seattle

Publicis Seattle PRO

We've been blocked for 3 days now.

We are using a cloud hosting service where many sites use the same IP address. Is it possible another site on this IP address is causing you to black list our site? If so, what is the solution?

Is it possible for us to continue using our vimeo pro account without having to worry about you blocking our site's access to your API?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

It's certainly possible another person is slamming the API. These blocks are automatic and we cannot lift them manually, so we can't guarantee that you won't be blocked from the oEmbed or Simple APIs.

Andrew Minton

Andrew Minton

Hi there, I am in the process of developing an app and was testing the oembed API for requests from a Rackspace hosting account also.. It worked for the first 2 days and now I get an error thrown each time I try to save an entry containing oembed data into my app. I get a 503 error, but now I'm seeing 404 errors everytime I attempt to save the entry into my PHP based application.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Minton

Andrew Minton

Hi Brad, my app url is rhyfeddod.co.UK ... its in maintenance mode right now, but are there any logs your end for blocked requests or limit reached in terms of API calls?

Im using the oembed method to call API.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Bateman

Andrew Bateman

I am experiencing the same issue from a site that hasn't even been launched yet! I am also on Rackspace, IP address is 98.129.229.192.

I cannot access the Simple API, getting either a 503 Service Unavailable or a 403 Forbidden.

Maybe IP address is not the best way to rate limit access to the API?

Mudar Noufal

Mudar Noufal

Experiencing the same issue (403 Forbidden), also on Rackspace!

We have 3 websites hosted there:
malajube.com => 98.129.229.174
lesbreastfeeders.ca => 98.129.229.172
yannperreau.com => 98.129.229.182

Vimeo content is displayed using tubepress (a wordpress plugin). I'm using my own API key, and have enabled 1-hour caching.

Any solution?!

thanks,
mudar

Andrew Bateman

Andrew Bateman

Hi, after getting some help from Rackspace and Vimeo, I managed to get a response from the Simple API as follows.

$id = 'vimeo video id';
$url = "vimeo.com/api/v2/video/$id.php";;
$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER,1);
$stringData = curl_exec($ch);
curl_close($ch);
$objectData = unserialize($stringData);

You may need to adapt your code to use a similar approach. The key line is:

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0);

If you return the header, you get a 403 Forbidden response (although funnily enough you still get the response body returned anyway).

Hope this helps. My support ticket with Rackspace (who are dealing with Vimeo) is still active and I am trying to find out why it seems all IPs like 98.129.229.* are blocked. I will update this thread when I find out more.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

We're not explicitly blocking any of those IPs. It's most likely that someone coming from that IP is hitting the API enough to cause a rate limit (which is based on IP for the Simple API).

Andrew Bateman

Andrew Bateman

Hi Brad, thanks for your reply. It seems *VERY* coincidental all the IPs mentioned on this thread (all of which start with 98.129.229) *all* have reached the rate limit.

Even if so, I know for a fact that in my case it is not my site that is exceeding the rate limit, as it is not live and accesses the API very infrequently.

If these IP addresses have been blocked, it seems that it is impossible to reliably use the Vimeo API from shared hosting, as we cannot control what other sites using the same IP address do.

Is there anything else we can do to get around this?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Unfortunately, there is no other way for us to rate limit the Simple API. You should not have trouble using the Advanced API.

Mudar Noufal

Mudar Noufal

I'm still having this issue (9 days later). And it doesn't seem to be Advanced vs Simple API issue.
My site uses tubepress plugin for wordpress, and it uses the advanced api.
Could it be that another site on the shared hosting uses the simple api, hits the limit and blocks my site which is using the advanced??

thanks,
mudar

Andrew Minton

Andrew Minton

So has this issue with what seems like Rackspace related been resolved? All of my requests to this service are cached in the DB using my CMS of choice and I'm still getting error 503 or 404 intermittently... If this range of IP's is continually blocked, how are we supposed to use the service? as mentioned above... Advanced has the same issue.

Would the CURL opt methods mentioned above solve the issue at all? Even when using Rackspace?

Mudar Noufal

Mudar Noufal

One month later, this issue is still not resolved. Support has asked me for some debug information, each email remaining unanswered for 4-5 days.
Very disappointing: my client, who has a vimeo plus account, has decided to use a different service for his videos, and the current websites displaying content from vimeo have static HTML pages since the API cannot be queried...

mudar

Kevin DeLeon

Kevin DeLeon

Is it just me, or does using IP Address to limit API seem like a very flawed way of doing that? Shouldn't each request have an API key appended it to it, and THAT be the way the API is limited? In this day of shared hosting, and many domains using the same IP, that seems like a poor choice on Vimeo's part.

neoledge

neoledge

Hello everyone, I have the same problem in vimeo api: I have a program that follows the number of viewers of more than 300 videos but after about 250 requests the server replies by 403 error ans the api says 'too many request'. Is it possible to have a precise number of request that we can do each minutes, each hour or each day please ? What are the rules ? I can't find it anywhere. For example on youtube I can do 10000 request an hour.
Thanks for the response and sorry for my bad english XD

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Hi everyone,

You should only be blocked from oEmbed in the case that you are generating a lot of errors (for example, trying to get a video that doesn't exist).

If you could give your IP address and the entire response (including headers) it would make this much easier to debug.

Drew Baker

Drew Baker

Seems to me that this is a Rackspace issue with CURL or some other compatibility issue with them and oEmbed.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.