Kiss The Baby Productions

I recently purchased a 60D, mainly for video. But my footage is appearing a little noisy. My ISO is set to auto,but i also tried a few other ISO settings and still i see noise. Im also shooting at 24fps. Can any one give me some advice with my issue? I really want to shoot quality footage with my 60D, but can't find the right settings.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Your shutter speed is typically 1/(2x) where x = frame rate.

24fps = 1/48 (or closest, which is 1/50)
30fps = 1/60
60fps = 1/120

Typically in that slow shutters speeds cause motion blur, higher shutter speeds cause jitter. If you intend for those, that's all good too.

Your aperture is typically set as well.

So the latitude you have to work with is your ISO. Typically, your ISO should never be set to auto. You should shoot the same scene, under the same lighting, but at different ISO settings to see what gives you the most noise in your shot. Do this before an actual shoot and you'll know what settings you can use. Some cameras will have less noise at 1600 than at 1250, etc.

That being said, if you have high noise problems, decrease your shutter speed (if for some reason you have it set really fast) or open up your aperture (go to a smaller number). Some zoom lenses have variable apertures, like a 30-200mm f4-5.6 --- which means as you zoom in the fastest (lowest number) aperture setting the lens can achieve goes up.

Thanks a lot for the quick responses to my issue.R6L I'm going to look into those settings and make the adjustment. I will get back at you with my results. Kevin Jones you also hit it right on the nose. Im using a 18mm-135mm lenses. Does that make a difference? Im also going to do some research on those lenses you recommended.

Michael Flotron

Michael Flotron

The 18mm-135mm lens you have is most likely an f3.5 (and can get even worse if you use the zoom). That f1.4 lens Kevin Jones suggested will fare much better in low light situations.

Dime Roudnev

Dime Roudnev

One more thing i would like to add ... Do not forget that your 60D is a dijital camera that works not a like as your eye... As better the light it around your objects- the better resolt you will have. The good resolts you may get:
using the video lights, soft box and etc
using ISO about 100

test different tips of lens - they do not work the same way... you will find it if you will try it...

Good luck

Joel Péclard

Joel Péclard

I've experienced the same mystery as you have. Then I saw this:
vimeo.com/23082874
Since then I always use multiples of 160 when setting ISO. I don't know why this is and I don't know why it isn't mentioned more often. I wish I'd known this from the beginning.

Bret Akins

Bret Akins

Can someone tell me if the Canon 60D can auto focus in video mode ? Also because I walk around with the camera in video mode to shoot the inside/outside of homes, I need this camera to be able to adjust(on the fly) to the varying lighting conditions,so it would need to change ISO settings or Aperture automatically I guess.
Yes I could set it manually before hand but thats not really what I want to do.
Because I walk around with it the camera manually focusing will not work.Nor will manually changing the amount of light(up or down)that reaches the sensor.So with that being would this be the proper camera fro me to use ?What wide angle lens would I use to get the maximum field of view and if this is the wrong camera could you recommend one ?
As a comparison I rented a T3i and shot many different videos inside of houses but when leaving it in manual mode sometimes when I walked into a room it would be super bright and white out the video

Marcus Vinnas

Marcus Vinnas

I shot my daughter jumping with 60 fps but forgot to adjust the shutter and it stayed at 1/50. Weird footage unless I use it at slow motion. At normal speed the movements seem acelerated like if it was a tape reel failing.

SCRATCH

SCRATCH Plus

Any help with the following would be MASSIVELY appreciated :

I have been trying to capture some slow motion footage with a Canon 60D + Canon 24-105 L Series Lens. Both at 50fps & 60fps with 1/100 & 1/120 respectively ISO 160 or 320. The footage is horribly noisy(unusable) and also the seems focus seems very soft compared to the live view whilst focusing.
I am using FCP X to conform the footage to 24fps.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Is your image properly exposed to begin with?

If the focus is soft, that's one of the problems with small LCD screens... Unless all your images are soft, then there might be an actual camera issue...

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

if your video is getting noisy i suggest getting ML and use iso 160-320-480-640-800

shawn wytch

shawn wytch

to make it simple you have to get a light meter, or get ML, ML is free you can get a histogram so u can see if your video is over exposed or under exposed. if you get ML I can help you further

Christina Kostoff

Christina Kostoff

Hi Guys! wondering if anyone can help. It might just be a settings thing- and I'm a newbie! but I can't seem to adjust my iso in video mode- when I press the iso button- nothing happens- in menu, it just gives me increment suggestions which i don't totally understand...help? Thanks!

JEL

JEL

Switch to photo-mode and set it before going to video-mode

Simon Carstens

Simon Carstens Plus

Can you shoot video directly from the Manual Mode setting on the 60D or do you have to switch to video mode? :)

Dave Baker

Dave Baker

You have to switch to Video mode.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.