PriceBlink

PriceBlink

I'm starting to develop with the universal embed api and have run into a problem on the player.vimeo.com/playground page. Specifically, the "Simple Buttons" (Play, Pause) do not work UNLESS you first start the video by clicking the embedded player control first. So to replicate the issue:

1. Go to the above page on an iPad
2. Click on the "Play" button in the "Simple Button Section"
3. The video won't actually play, you see the progress bar spinning, but that's it.

However, if you reload the page, then activate the video via the embedded play controller button, you can pause/play the video all you want using the Simple buttons.

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get my application to work, but now that I see the exact same problem on Vimeo's demo page am assuming that this is a bug/universal problem.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Yeah one of the recent updates to iOS broke that in the player. We're looking to see what we can do to get it fixed (if that's even possible).

Gijs Kattenberg

Gijs Kattenberg

This worked for me:
input id="playbutton" type="button" onclick="document.getElementById('video').play()" value="play"
document.getElementById("playbutton").click();

PriceBlink

PriceBlink

What specifically is broken? Are there any workarounds that will initialize the player?

Wire Stone

Wire Stone PRO

I will add that I tried the same player.vimeo.com/playground url on IPAD2 with both iOS4.35 and iOS 5.0. The play command for the video stalled in both instances. i.e. it seemed to start playing the movie but actually 'hung' at 0:00, but if I click the player play button then reload the page the play command seems to work...(?).

Understand you guys are working on this, but this is a fairly big deal (IMO) since youre promoting the usage of the universal player for anything mobile.

Thanks in advance.

Note: I am using the latest froogaloop library as provided by GitHub 3/25/2011.

Bensimon Byrne

Bensimon Byrne PRO

So I notice that this is still the case. Is this due to the use of window postmessage? Under normal circumstances I can get a video element to play with an event. Any updates would be much appreciated! I really want to start using this pro account in more situations.

Thanks

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

It is most likely due to using postMessage. If you initiate playback within the player, the API seems to work fine. We're still trying to figure out exactly how to fix it.

Gijs Kattenberg

Gijs Kattenberg

I think you can trick the ipad into thinking a user has clicked by calling the onclick of the play button. I tried this on a html5 video on ipad and that seemed to work, but I can't try it in Vimeo because it's embedded.

Het Loodswezen

Het Loodswezen PRO

Is there already any progress with this issue? On the compatibility page it states the play() function should work on mobile but it currently is not. Atleast not on ipad/iphone. It tries to load, but does not play. Is there a solution available?

player.api('play'); does not work :(

Ricardo de Pena

Ricardo de Pena

please provide some sort of status on this issue.

Thank you.

Eivind Vogel-Rödin

Eivind Vogel-Rödin

Any progress in this matter yet?
Would be much appreciated with a solution!

Jamie

Jamie

I too would like an update if there's one available.

Thanks!

Daniel Johnson

Daniel Johnson

On ipad I figured out that once a user clicks play you can do whatever you want with playback including load a new video. With the current vimeo API you need to change the src property of the iframe in order to play a different video. This resets the permission, and forces the user to click play again. If the API had a loadVideo method that changed the video without reloading the iframe it would be possible to at least minimize the user interaction to clicking play once for the first vimeo video on a single page application.

Jamie

Jamie

I've found "PlayVimeo" by Tannauit on Github: github.com/tannauit/PlayVimeo

Seems to be doing the job so you can just play vimeo through MPMoviePlayerController. Not sure how long it will work for but for now it seems to be the best option.

Dan Wahlin

Dan Wahlin PRO

Any updates on this? I'm running into the same thing on Android 4.4.2 with the Chrome mobile browser (Samsung Note 3 currently being used). The video loads after changing the iframe's src and re-setting up the ready() and the froogaloop object, but I can't call player.api('play') in ready() as others have reported. The player just shows the pause icon and sits there.

If the final answer is "it's just a limitation of mobile" (which I can go with) are there any best practices for handling this since a less technical user may not realize they need to hit play (as dumb as that sounds :-))? I can always show a message of course but if anyone has any cool tricks/ideas there I'm interested in hearing them.

IAVI Team

IAVI Team

Also curious if a fix for this has been found. It's still broken on iOS 8. Although unlikely Dan Wahlin from 4 months ago, it works just fine on Chrome for Android. Although it does bug me that it immediately goes into fullscreen mode. Not sure if that's related to Chrome or Vimeo, haven't taken the time to look.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.